“great English Market experience”

Farmgate Restaurant
Ranked #32 of 644 Restaurants in Cork
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Centre
Tustin, California
“great English Market experience”
Reviewed 25 May 2012

The large sign hanging in front of Farmgate that reads "The food capital of Ireland" says it all. After walking through the English market, you really appreciate the food and ingredients served at Farmgate. I recommend the seafood chowder-- it was perfectly cooked with a good balance of flavors and seafood. I don't think you can go wrong with anything else that you order, but I think Farmgate's charm comes from its location overlooking the market as well as its rustic ambience that embodies the English market atmosphere.

• Visited May 2012

• Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
“Great way to try local food made freshly from the market stocks around!”
Reviewed 23 May 2012

My partner ('Himself') and I were only in Cork for one night and arriving in the morning, we thought we'd go check out the English Market and grab lunch at Farmgate (as recommended by the Rough Guide to Europe on a Budget).

I think we were a little keen as they didn't actually start serving lunch items until midday but the freshly baked goods all around the counter looked (and smelled) fantastic!

At midday we came back and I ordered the tripe and onions with brisheen (sourced from one of the stores - O'Reilly's) which naturally came with potato, of course. Himself got the Irish Stew, again, served with potato naturally.

This was the first time I'd tried tripe (and brisheen, which is a type of blood sausage) and though I probably wouldn't have it again, it was certainly an experience trying the local food! Himself's Irish Stew was lovely though and our potatoes certainly tasted quite fresh.

It's a shame we weren't around for longer as we definitely would have gone back for morning tea the next day! Worth checking out when you're in Cork.

• Visited April 2012
“I think I will have to move to cork- it's a foodie's paradise”
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Its this simple- eat here. If you like fresher than fresh food, prepared on site in the oldest food market in Europe- this is your place. Please please open in Dublin....!

cork
“Cafe”
Reviewed 18 May 2012

Good coffee, lovely cake,always worth a visit.yyyyyyy

Visited May 2012
cork
“amazing”
Reviewed 15 May 2012

i love dropping into the farmgate, for coffee and dessert. The lemon and chocolate cakes are divine, really good coffee also. Great atmosphere and really friendly staff, welcoming and funny. A complete gem, i look forward to my next visit.

• Visited April 2012