“Fresh food worth the wait”

Farmgate Restaurant
Ranked #36 of 668 Restaurants in Cork
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Centre
Reviewed 13 August 2014

While this is a very small restaurant, the taste if the meal exceeds any wait time you may have for a table. Many items offered are made fresh from the products fold at the English Market downstairs.

We had the chicken salad, which was fresh greens and seared chicken breast tenders. The salad also had onion, beets, tomato and cucumbers. The dressing was a delicious vinaigrette. My guest had the lemon thyme chicken with new potatoes and said it was very delicious and you could taste how fresh the ingredients were.

Bread was served and a water pitcher was left for us to refill our own glasses. The staff were attentive and helpful.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

We went to lunch as part of our hotel deal where we could order lunch and a coffee. Luckly we had a reservation for 1pm which is a popular time for luncheon guests

We had the lemon chicken, the lamb stew, and the cheese tart all lovely.

I went up and asked the head waitress could we order desert at an additional cost and she said yes and she would drop the desert menu down which we eventually got. This was where the service went wrong 6 times we went to give her our order to which she replied will be with you in a minute We were on verge of leaving when our order was taken.In fairness despite waiting so long the deserts were very nice.

I would advise anyone who intends to have lunch in the restaurant make a reservation as it is a very popular for lunch.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Great chowder every time I come for lunch. The staff are also very attentive now making sure that patrons are seated as quickly as possible. The restaurant is situated in the most amazing gallery overlooking the wonderful English Market. Perfect location to enjoy delicious food.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

The breakfast was nice enough, although my son said he didn't like the porridge. My full Irish turned up quickly and we were still waiting for his porridge so he ate my sausages which filled him up before his arrived. It turned out the man at the counter had forgotten to take for the porridge and my son's juice so he had to wait quite a while for that. For the inconvenience the man didn't charge us for the drinks and in fairness there were a lot of customers milling about when I was ordering so I can understand him not hearing me. All in all, it is a nice setting, when you are sat eating you can look down upon the English Market and it is a nice mixture of modern with a traditional feel, looking down on the market traders. My son was also a fan of the white pudding and the coffee was my favourite of my visit to Cork, even better than Costa.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We walked into town from the River Lee Hotel for a quick breakfast and we both had a sausage blaa (white bun) and coffee. The architecture of the cafe (top floor of the English Market) is wonderful and the cafe keeps true to this, which gives this place its nostalgic feel. Well worth a visit if you're in Cork.