“Needs to Try Harder”

Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Centre
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Service wasn't great and the food didn't justify the price. This place needs a bit more effort and it could be great.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

This restaurant looks very attractive. The tables and seating are very comfortable. But everything else was a disappointed. We were a party of three for Sunday lunch and it we were made to feel like we were disturbing them be being there. The brought out the wrong main and were extremely surly when they had to go back and get the correct one.

We won't be interfering with their Sunday lunch again. It really does appear that they are busy with something else and that you are disturbing them by being a customer in there restaurant.

1  Thank Mangomi
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

I was pleasantly surprised when I walked in. The place is lovely lookin old Chinese style.
It was a Sunday so the menus was limited but adequate. I went fir a beef curry and adjective fir it spicy. It came with lots if fresh chilies.
The food was good in a lovely environment.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Myself and my friend ordered two seperate dishes..completely different dishes yet both tasted more or less the same...bland.
The decor is stunning

1  Thank STEPH23059
Reviewed 31 May 2014

From the moment I stepped into Panda Mama, I was in a different world - in the best possible sense. The restaurant was elegant and spacious, with everything around me spotlessly clean, including the toilets. Great effort had been put into creating an authentic Chinese atmosphere: the dual language signs were a particularly nice touch. A recording of traditional Chinese music was being played, which added to the soothing calmness of the space. This was fortunate, as I was soon the only customer there. Sitting in these ornate and subtly lit surroundings, and experiencing swift and attentive service from a friendly, discreet waitress, I felt that this place did not deserve to be empty.
I began with a vegetarian spring roll, which was suitably crispy and came with a plum sauce that will continue to feature in my happier dreams about food. The next course was sweet and sour chicken, which I had chosen to have with boiled rice. When this came to the table there was an abundance of everything, especially the rice. Yet my experience of this course was somewhat different. Knowing in advance that Panda Mama had a great reputation, I had made a conscious effort to put in plenty of exercise before going to eat there, to toughen myself up for the gastronomic treats ahead. A few bites left me with the horrible suspicion, gradually confirmed, that the chicken on my plate had gone through a similar process of preparation. This was a shame, as the rest of the experience was so good and well-managed. I finished off with tea, nicely brewed. As with every other course, I was given plenty of time to enjoy it. Dessert was offered, which I declined.
The meal came to 16.50 in euros, as I had just missed the 7.95 lunch menu. When I left Panda Mama the restaurant was completely empty apart from the staff, which still seemed a great shame. I would certainly go back there, if only to experience the surroundings, and that excellent plum sauce. My choice of main course would be different, for that was the only thing that made me rate this restaurant as average. It is still worth supporting as an elegant and exotic dining experience in Cork - one which deserves a lot more customers.

1  Thank Scorsese