“New Year's Eve Wedding at Imperial Hotel”
Review of Imperial Hotel

Imperial Hotel
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Cork, Ireland
“New Year's Eve Wedding at Imperial Hotel”
Reviewed 15 October 2012

My husband and I got married on NY Eve 2011 and we had our reception in the Imperial Hotel, it was a dream come true and I cannot say enough about the staff and the hotel itself. From the first day we walked in there and dealth with Lorna, we knew we'd be coming back for our wedding. The setting is fantastic, I have a series of beautiful black and white photos taken during the speeches and with the decor of the room, it's like something from a classy old black and white movie. Perfect setting! Also if you are having a Christmas wedding like I did, there's a huge tree in the foyer and it made for some of the best photo opportunities of the day. The penthouse suite is huge, really really fantastic! We stayed over the wedding night and again the following night. We had all of our guests who stayed over up to the Penthouse on NY Day for some finger food and drinks. Perfect setting. The wedding food was magnificient, really couldn't fault it and also the service. I loved how they served the top table first and then all at the same time, and theatrically whipped off the silver plate covers before serving the rest of the room. Nice touch. We had evening food of fish and chips miniatures and this went down a storm. I really could not fault the Imperial for anything. If you are half thinking of having your wedding reception here, go for it, you won't regret it.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank irishgirl069
ImperialCork, General Manager at Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, 19 October 2012
Dear Angela,

Thank you for taking the time to write on Tripadvisor.

We appreciate your positive feedback and look forward to seeing you for your first year anniversary dinner.

regards
Joe Kennedy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (422)
  • Polish first
Cork
Reviewed 12 October 2012

In the heart of the most friendly city of Cork you will be welcomed here! you cannot but be impressed with all the Hotel has to offer. The foyer is magnificent. Everyone has a smile and you interact with the all whom you meet. It is so friendly. For meeting others it is so perfect a location to arrange such an occasion. If you are running late there is no worry. I welcome the opportunity to sit in the Library .I had a lovely time meeting a friend.The restaurant for breakfast is a delight and I was ready for a walking tour last Saturday in the lovely autumn sunshiem lead by Councillor Kieran McCarthy. The walk guided us through the heartland of Cork's commercial heritage and was so interesting. The afternoon break afterwards sitting outdooor under the wonderful trees reminded me of a trip which I once had in Lisbon. Cork's leafy streetscape was continemal in feel. The hotels central location and high level of comfort offered me my favourite treat. I enjoyed a treatment in Escape - a spa in the Imperial Hotel - the ultimate in luxury. It was wonderful.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
boliqueime
Reviewed 3 October 2012

Found the room we were put in clean but no window view (window frosted),bathroom very small and needing renovating, the room was cold no heating and as we traveled from Portugal we found it cold.Food very good, service very good ,staff very good, parking NOT good need to drive 5 minutes from hotel and PAY.

Room Tip: Dont take the first room they offer if facing inside
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write on Tripadvisor.

We appreciate both your constructive and positive feedback towards our hotel.

regards

Gneral Manager
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 26 September 2012

Stayed here before and had a much better experience.
This time around the staff were very hit and miss.
Room was more or less the same as I stayed in before.
Pictures will tell their own story.
Partner was told to check in to the spa at a certain time and on arrival was told she was half an hour early.
No credit/laser card facilities in the Cafe and had to use the machine in the a joining bar.
Seriously in this day and age?
Paid for room on arrival.
Was then changed for prearranged chocolates and drinks.
Why didn’t they just take for the lot the first time around?

The girl on checking out on the Sunday morning looked like she wanted to be anywhere but behind the reception desk.

On arrival the front of the hotel is roped off for check in as car park is a few minute’s walk away.
No one is looking after this area, the first time I stayed same scenario and I was one car away from been clamped on my return to the car.

The housekeeping manager should take a long look in the mirror.
The room was Faulty Towers.
Picture missing on the wall.
Hook on the back of the bathroom door missing.
Walls generally in bad repair.
Light missing on one side of the headboard.

Great location for the city shame about the room and the standards of the staff.
No consistency.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
ImperialCork, General Manager at Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, 3 October 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

I would like to apologise for our shortcomings during your stay with us in particular the bedroom experience which you highlighted. I assure you this is not our normal standard of which we are very proud of here at the Imperial Hotel.

Your feedback will be taken on board and highlighted to our team so improvements can be made and we learn from it. I know that we can do better and hopefully we can show you this on your next visit to the hotel.

When you wish to book please email me directly on jkennedy@imperialhotelcork.ie. Again my sincere apologies and we look forward to welcoming you back and to showing you a more enjoyable overall experience.

Yours sincerely,

Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed 24 September 2012

The Imperial Hotel is located in downtown Cork within walking distance of shopping and nightlife. We were traveling by car and found it difficult to find. The parking garage where Imperial's guests park is at least three to four blocks from the hotel which was a negative.

The hotel is a bit rundown and the room was small and on the "street-side" so we heard a lot of noise well into the night.

The restaurant was just so-so but the buffet breakfasts were very good. The best thing about the place was their doorman, Christy, who served as a reliable resource for restaurant recommendations and made the check-in/check-out experiences much easier.

We would NOT recommend the Imperial in Cork.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Bernard B
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Excellent location in the heart of the city. The restaurant there is a must! Beer tasted food like it before, the monkfish is to die for. Staff were fantastic and made you feel so welcome especially as they were busy. The rooms are lovely and the beds are especially comfy. I would highly recommend this hotel whatever your trip to Cork is for.

• Stayed September 2012
Maryland
Reviewed 20 September 2012

I was part of a group traveling around Ireland prior to the Navy-Notre Dame football game in Dublin. We stayed two nights at the Imperial Hotel. The hotel itself is an example of an older, non-chain European hotel. One should not expect the Holiday Inn or Hampton Inn experience, since older hotels have limitations for being retrofitted with modern amenities.

My room was perfectly adequate for a single person. It overlooked the main entrance courtyard, which could be noisy at times. We were experiencing very warm weather on our trip, so I opened the windows during the daytime. But at night I couldn't keep them open due to the noise; however, there was a fan in the wardrobe and it offered some air movement and white noise to cover sounds from the outside. The bed was very comfortable and I slept well. My sister and brother-in-law had one of the rooms that had the double bed plus a single bed. While this made the room smaller, they prefer having two beds so it worked out fine for them.

We ate breakfast and dinner together as a group in the hotel dining room. It was very good; there was more than enough food. The wait staff was friendly and the service was pretty speedy, considering there was at least one other group in the hotel at the same time.

We did have lunch one day in the little cafe just inside the front entrance of the hotel. It was delightful -- we especially liked the soup. The hotel is within walking distance of all that Cork has to offer. We are early risers and like coffee first thing in the morning. But what was the only place we could find open before 8 AM? McDonalds. We decided that people in Cork don't get to work as early as Americans do!

Room Tip: In warmer weather, ask for a room away from the entrance court yard if you want to sleep with the wi...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends