“Worst hotel I ever stayed in”
Review of Imperial Hotel

Imperial Hotel
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Wicklow, Ireland
“Worst hotel I ever stayed in”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Myself and my husband stayed on 27th July. When I booked I was led to believe there was a swimming pool but not so, I was told there was a charge of €18 per person to use the spa treatment room.We had booked a pampering over night with wine in our room on arrival, we oped for a superior room because it offered robes which were not in the room, no wine either. I booked dinner for 8pm, when we arrived at the restaurant we were told the table was booked for 8 30 pm????? I had brought a Lush bath BOMB which I use, to my horror when the water drained,the bath was stained purple where the bath hadn't been cleaned for months. This was the worst experience ever, when we went down for breakfast, we ordered fried eggs which never arrived and the staff member that we ordered them from, came over when we had finished eating to enquire how everything was.She completely forgot our order. Unbelievable. I did speak to a manager who offer us a return over night which I refused why would anyone return to that hotel. We had payed €236 for the night they offered us €100 off the price which we took. The manager was to follow up after speaking to house-keeping regarding the bath but to this day I have never heard from the Imperial. Not good practice. Would NOT recommend this hotel very Disappointed guest.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Suzanne R
Dear Suzanne R,

Thank you for your recent review of the Imperial Hotel. It is never easy to read such a review and I am very disappointed that you experienced such issues during your stay with us.

I would like to assure you that this is not the standard that is set at the Imperial Hotel and we strive to meet with and exceed guest expectations on a daily basis. I am sincerely sorry to learn that we failed to impress on the occasion you stayed with us. It is regrettable that you were not contacted by us following your feedback. As you stayed with us last July, I would be most grateful if you could contact me directly to discuss your concerns in more detail.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (423)
  • Polish first
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Stayed for 3 nights in November and had a great time in a friendly city. Very close to city centre with good selection of pubs and restaurants within a few minutes walk. Car parking nearby well organised at about £20 for three days. Room on free upgrade was good size and spotlessly clean and contained all myself and my wife required, although TV reception poor on some of the channels available. Pay separately just to use pool. Staff very friendly and helpful especially in bar. Breakfast very good and food in bar and restaurant also good quality although my steak was overcooked on first night. Offer included lunch in nearby English market which was also very pleasant. Would consider this hotel again if revisiting Cork.

Room Tip: Top floor was good but view on our room was into back of other buildings.
Dear Harry S,
Thank you so much for your recent review and for choosing to stay at the Imperial Hotel.

We really appreciate your lovely comments about your stay and look forward to welcoming you back to Cork on some future occasion.

Best regards,

Cork
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Barbara & Marks wedding at the Imperial Hotel Cork on November 8th 2013

We would like to say a huge thank you to Joe Kennedy & his wonderful team for making our wedding day the most memorable day of our lives. Thank you so much Joe for all your help & support in the run up to our wedding. From the first day we met Joe we knew we were in safe hands & words can not describe the wonderful day we had. From the moment we & our guests arrived at the hotel we could not have been looked after so well, everything was just perfect & we would like to thank all the team who were just so professional & could not have done enough for us. A huge huge thank you also to Lorna & Linda who looked after us so well & really could not have done enough for us. To all the staff a huge thank you. The food was amazing & we could not have been happier with it, the reception room was perfect & it really was a fairy tale setting for our perfect day. We would highly recommend the Imperial Hotel if you are planning the perfect wedding & Joe & his wonderful team are just top class. In summary the Imperial Hotel has got it all, great staff, great food, great atmosphere & we can not thank you all enough.

Barbara & Mark

Dear Barbara F,

Thank you so much, Barbara & Mark for your wonderful review and we are delighted that the Imperial Hotel helped in making your Wedding day such a special and memorable occasion.

I will pass on your kind comments to Joe, Lorna , Linda and all the team.

We wish you all the best in your future lives together and hope to see you back in the Imperial Hotel in the not too distant future.

Best regards,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I wanted to love the Imperial Hotel but it felt a little tired around the edges. The first room I was shown was gloomy and looked onto an internal lightwell splattered with pigeon droppings. Luckily, when I asked to be moved, I was quickly found another room. My room was large with a lovely soft king bed and a sofa. Tea facilities were laid on but sadly no fridge in which to keep fresh milk or water etc. The bathroom was clean and the shower wonderfully hot at any time of day, the heated floor was a bonus however the grouting was mildewed in some places. Toiletries and hair dryer were provided but at this level of hotel I would have expected a bathrobe too. An in-room safe would be helpful. Free WiFi was very welcome. The hotel is 200 years old so one should forgive creaks and quirks however there is poor soundproofing between the rooms and I could hear next doors' shower, loo & kids quite clearly. The room doors slam shut rather loudly and could do with a soft close mechanism. I was next to the lift but thankfully could not hear it at all. I would have appreciated a more comfy resident's lounge as the pub attached, though uncrowded early evenings, was not great to relax in. Would I return? If I can get a good deal, yes; room size and location saves it and the staff were all lovely. Could it improve? Definitely. Though fondly regarded, it has a slightly old-fashioned air. Perhaps a few concessions to a more modern or artsey feel - without losing it's heritage appeal - would win it a new generation of fans?

Room Tip: Avoid rooms overlooking the internal lightwell!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Dear Londoncitizen,

Thank you for your recent review of the Imperial Hotel and thank you for choosing to stay with us.

As you are aware the hotel is a historic building well over 200 years old and we thread a fine line to maintain the integrity of such a wonderful building while striving to provide the best international standards of accommodation that the modern day guest expects and demands.

Over the Winter period we are undertaking some refurbishments in certain areas of the hotel and we will gladly take your comments on board.

We hope to see you returning to the Imperial Hotel very soon,

Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Best located hotel in Cork city with great staff and excellent food. A must stay in Cork city. you are on the south mall and only 100 meters from patricks street. A fantastic restaurant around the corner is le gourmandes which is french cuisine and ridiculously good value for money. The imperial hotel also has a fantastic spa at the side of the building if your after a bit of pampering.

Anne o, Manager at Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Dear paddawson,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Imperial Hotel in Cork recently.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Imperial Hotel in the near future.

Woking, Surrey
Reviewed 20 November 2013

The Imperial is in a great position in Cork city centre - a short walk to anywhere, but it is in need of a little tender loving care.
My room had no window - at least it had a frost-glass window that opened to a air conditioning unit a foot away that kept me awake all night. The room was also poorly organised. Yes, there was a double and a single bed, but there was a dressing table/desk that had no seat because it was too close to the end of the bed - but the end of the bed was too tall to be able to sit comfortably at it. Yes, there was a table and two chairs, but the table was too tall for you to sit comfortably and work at, too - this is beginning to sound like "Alice in Wonderland"!
The accommodation was OK - but tired. The carpet was showing signs of poor wear and the bathroom had a cracked mirror as well as cracked tiles. And it hadn't been well cleaned, either, ,with plenty of evidence of the previous occupant in the bath.
WiFi is free! The bar was welcoming and breakfast was good. The staff are friendly, but the hotel needs to spruce itself up a bit, away from the public areas.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank CesmeTraveller
Listowel, Ireland
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Tired describes the state of the hotel and our feelings after a night there. We were warned on arrival of an awards night function on our side of the hotel, with the assurance that we could move to another room if this was a problem. By the time it was a problem it was far too late too move. We were in bed and still being regaled by 'The wheels on the bus go round and round' at 1.30 despite assurances that the party would have finished at 12.30. Why not put us in a different room to start with? The room was good but the toilet seat was loose. (Are all hotel toilet seats designed to slide about?) The drinks in the bar were also pricey - almost €15 for two gin-and-tonics. What recession?

1 Thank kate m
Anne o, Manager at Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Dear Kate M,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Imperial Hotel in Cork. Thank you for taking the time to write a review on trip advisor.

We apologise for the late night celebrations in our ballroom and we will take your other comments on board.