“Bernadette's Big/Little Adventure”

Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Cork, Ireland
“Bernadette's Big/Little Adventure”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

My mum availed of a 1-night package recently and had a lovely break! On arrival, she was presented with a bottle of wine. We joined her for afternoon tea. The only quibble with the restaurant in which that was served is that the tables were too close to each other. The evening was completed by a sumptious dinner in the Pembroke Restaurant. It was really lovely with a delightful ambience. The following morning, she had a truly hearty breakfast which sustained her for much of the day! The staff were helpful and friendly. The package was great value and the whole experience was delightful.

Room Tip: Ask the very helpful reception staff, who will accommodate your requests where possible. My mum'...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Anne o, Manager at Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, 21 September 2014
Dear Mary M,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us recently at the Imperial Hotel in Cork.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
  • Polish first
Ampthill, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

Stayed here on a recent holiday with my husband and would definitely NOT stay again.

Firstly, the website says just pull up outside to drop your bags off and get a parking ticket with directions to the garage. It all sounds easy but where do you pull in?! It was a busy road and a nightmare - we had to double park and then had the nervy joy of jumping out and trying to get our luggage out with cars wizzing around us! After navigating that first handle and rushing into the reception - the check-in desk is tiny and we had to wait for 10 minutes to be seen! They didn't offer to take out bags up to our room (as per the website), instead, they stored them in the luggage store for us to deal with after parking.

Secondly, our room. Tired, dated, musty, and well overpriced! One of the worst rooms I've stayed in and so, so, pricey. Ok, this is a city centre hotel but really, you charge that much for that room. Appalling. If we weren't tired from traveling we would have asked to be moved.

Breakfast was average. We would not stay again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mariarichards
Anne o, Manager at Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, 21 September 2014
Dear mariarichards,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us recently at the Imperial Hotel.

I was disappointed to read your recent review on trip advisor and indeed I will take your points on board.

Thanking you,

Cottingham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

Booked two two night packages back to back.
The hotel has a long history and has a nice old world charm mixed with modern amenities.
However during our four days stay the first three were the best.
Breakfast is decent quality and with enough variation to suit most people.
Dinner was equally successful.
The room was spacious with a comfy bed but with some surprising omissions
No safe, no mini bar, no aircon.
Then, on the last day, Saturday, there was a wedding party in the hotel.
We had had a busy day, full on sightseeing. Went to bed at 10.00 pm as Sunday was our big traveling day. We needed a good nights sleep. NO CHANCE!
The din from the party below us was so loud we didn't know whether to laugh or cry.
We thought they would be aware of non wedding guests in the hotel and turn it down at midnight,
oh no! They turned the racket up. When it eventually died down at 3.00 am it was replaced by noisy people running around the corridors, shouting to one another, slamming doors, I suppose we got to sleep around 4.00 pm. It's nice for people to get married and celebrate but if the hotel have other paying guests then they must do their best to separate them.

Room Tip: Top floor to lessen the noise
Anne o, Manager at Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, 20 September 2014
Dear Ted Cottingham,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us recently at the Imperial Hotel in Cork.

We are pleased that you enjoyed the first few nights or your recent stay with us and thank you for taking the time to post a review on trip advisor. I would like to greatly apologise for the Wedding noise on your final night with us.

We do hope to welcome you back to the Imperial Hotel on some future occasion.

Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

We stayed last week on the Imperial package and I have to say we have never had such good value for money. The breakfast buffet is lovely, everything you could want to see you through the day. We had dinner one evening which was excellent some of the best food I have tasted. The afternoon tea was lovely and we took the lunch from the English market as a take away to the airport, as that was the only way we could fit it in!
All the staff were friendly and helpful and the hotel is lovely, every time I smell lilies it will remind me of the lovely floral display in reception!
If you get the bus from the airport ask the driver to put you off on the South Mall, the stop is just by the hotel and will save you the walk from the bus station.

Dear 222Jules54,

Thank you for choosing the Imperial Hotel in Cork and for taking the time to write a review.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your recent 3 Night Imperial Experience with us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best regards,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

Stayed for 3 nights and booked the Imperial Experience package. Really good value.
The rooms were nice and comfortable with lots of space. All areas of the hotel were clean and presented as well as can be expected in an old building.
All of the staff, hotel and spa, were really helpful and nothing was too much trouble.
The food was lovely. We had breakfast, afternoon tea and dinner at the hotel. Obviously, on an inclusive package, choices were more limited, but I didn't feel like I was missing out. Also, it was such good value, I wouldn't have minded paying for something from another menu if I'd wanted to. The lunch provided in the package at a local market cafe was beautiful too. With an early flight, breakfast to takeaway and a taxi was arranged for us.
The location was great. Very central, easy to walk everywhere, but not too much hustle and bustle outside.
The spa had great treatments and facilities. The deals available to hotel guests were excellent value.
I have read many reviews before booking lots of hotel stays, but never write one. That in itself should explain how impressed I was with The Imperial Hotel!

• Stayed August 2014
Anne o, Manager at Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, 20 September 2014
Dear Marra CA14,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Imperial Hotel in Cork recently.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for taking the time to write a review.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

kind regards,

Bray, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

Lovely hotel with character. I stayed 2 nights. I had room 401. It was a nightmare and didn't get to sleep on first night until after 3.30 am due to noise from large vent/fan and music from street.

Refuse room 401 at all costs. It should not be even offered as a bedroom to paying guests. It is located in a well beside an enormous flue. There are two music bars across the street and music does not stop until about two thirty in the morning. Then the shouting of drunken people in the street, a continuous taxis, etc meant constant noise for another hour. Between the noise from the flue and the music there was an actual vibration in the room that was impossible to ignore. I phoned reception at 23.50 and the person who answered assured me that the fan would be switched off in 10 minutes. I phoned again about 20 minutes later and was told that he would look into it. I pointed out that this room was located beside a large flue and they must know the problem already. It seemed that the speed of the fan was reduced some time later. This did nothing to reduce the vibration in the room. I phoned reception again at 1.30 am and demanded to be moved to another room. Was told that hotel was full and I would be moved the following morning. I also said that iI would require compensation for the terrible night in 401 which was costing me €150 per night. We did not manage to sleep until after 3.30 am!!! Next morning a very pleasant receptionist agreed to relocate us to another quieter room. This room was much better and more comfortable. The following day when checking the same person greeted me with a big smile and enquired if the room had been ok. I assured her that it was much better. She made no reference to our unacceptable experience in room 401. Neither was there an apology for the fact that half of our stay in the Imperial Hotel had been a nightmare. It is a nice hotel in a good location but we find the fact that we or anybody would be given room 401 to be unacceptable. Also the fact that there was no apology or no attempt to acknowledge that 50% of our stay was a disaster was unacceptable and unprofessional. We are regular visitors to Cork and always need a hotel - we will not use the Imperial Hotel again.

Room Tip: Do not accept room 401 at any price - A/C noise, vibration and loud music.
3 Thank Raycomerford
Dear Raycomerford,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on trip advisor.

I was disappointed to read the review following your recent stay with us at the Imperial Hotel. I would appreciate if you could please contact me directly to discuss the situation in more detail.

I hope that you enjoyed the family wedding.

I look forward to hearing from you.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

Just stayed for 3 nights at this hotel. Our experience was both relaxing and enjoyable. We had the 3 night package and it has to b the best value for money. The spa was amazing the best massage I've ever had thanks liz. Food was great breakfast was lovely and hot. Hotel was also very accessible to all the shops bars and restaurants. We will deffo b back.

• Stayed August 2014
Dear Broghan,

Thank you for choosing the Imperial Hotel and for taking the time to write a review.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your 3 Night Imperial Experience Package with us and I will pass on your great comments to the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best regards,