“Teeny tiny!” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 19 Speciality Lodging in Cork
Melbourne, Australia
“Teeny tiny!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2011

We stayed at Bru Hostel for one night, and that was enough. The room was extremely small, the bathroom even smaller. Not the most comfortable bed, and shower was on a timer that you had to push every thirty seconds - very annoying! The best thing about the place, by far, is the bar downstairs - great atmosphere.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Bruhostel, Owner at Bru Bar and Hostel, responded to this review, 6 June 2011
Hi, thank's for the review. Sorry you have found the Hostel to be less than satisfactory. As we have stated in other reviews we have these water timers on the showers to bring down our costs which we can the pass on to the customer. Glad you liked the bar though!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2011

So I came to Cork with big expectations of this place considering they have been ranked 7th best hostel in the world... I have never been soooooo disapointed!

To sum up this place I would have to use profanitys which this website could not publish. I have never been so unhappy in a hostel in my life, last night they overbooked our room and I was forced to sleep on the dining room floor! The bathrooms whilst being semi clean are all harvesting mould on the ceilings and down the walls (Note I used plural for bathrooms, this is because I will have had my 4th bathroom after tonight as I had to share with friends last night....)

If you're thinking about this place because their website looks good... think again

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank shipsbuoy
Bruhostel, Owner at Bru Bar and Hostel, responded to this review, 6 June 2011
Hi, thanks for the review. In fairness to us however, you had made seperate bookings and it is sometimes very hard to line up a number of bookings into one room. You were staying with us over the St Patricks week which is very busy and you hadn't booked the one night which we kindly let you stay for free in our tv/common room. Please understand we can not help it if we are full,. Sorry you had a less than satisfactory time.

Travellers are raving about these Cork hotels

Limerick, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2011

There was a time (and a place) when (and where) barmen and reception staff were courteous and capable, where there was soap and a towel in the bathroom and where you, the paying guest, were treated other than as a pest or child to be controlled or shouted at. Not Bru Hostel, folks! The most ignorant and useless bar staff I've ever met, and the most clueless hostel I've ever stayed in. If the mayor of Cork had any sense he/she would close it down. Now.

• Stayed February 2011
2 Thank michaelpatsy
Bruhostel, Owner at Bru Bar and Hostel, responded to this review, 7 June 2011
Hi, Thank you for the review. Sorry you had a bad time with one of our staff members. I can't imagine the reason he got so upset with you. Thanks for bringing up the Mayor though! He gave us a wonderful allocade recently. We won the 1st prize for the best pub frontage in Cork 2010/2011, he also thanked us for our work in bringing in over 20000 people a year in bed nights!
Co Waterford, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2011

Stayed Twice In Male Dorm Rooms twice and on both Occasions Woke Up To co habitating Couples where I felt like a gooseberry. The occasions were 3 years apart
I choose a male dorm so as to cut down chance of feeling a gooseberry . Seemed like no control kept on who is staying, Hostel I suspect populed by many non payers..
Never had this problem anywhere else
Stayed there because location is absolutely excellent. Staff incredibly friendly. I even go to this hostel's bar for a bevy during the day and enjoy being their.
But I don't want to wake up to couples bonking , thank you.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
Bruhostel, Owner at Bru Bar and Hostel, responded to this review, 6 June 2011
Hi, Thanks for the review. It happens. We have excellent key card security here but we can't be on every door all the time. What hostels rely on is guests letting them know if something is happening which is not to their liking. Then we can do something about it.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2011

You really can't beat the super central location of Bru (five minutes from the bus station, ten from the train), the welcoming and helpful staff, and the free internet and breakfast (basic but good). If you stay in the female dorm, you're nowhere near the downstairs bar, so it's very quiet. Be warned that the rooms are extremely small, from the beds to the floor space to the shower. Also, I don't know if this was an oversight while I was there, but there was no hand soap in the bathroom. Good thing I had my own soap with me, because that's just unhygienic.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank notginny
Bruhostel, Owner at Bru Bar and Hostel, responded to this review, 6 June 2011
Hi, thanks for the review! Yes it was an oversight, we do provide hand soap. Glad you found the place to be located well. We do have the best location in the city!
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2010

We arrived at this hostel in the evening after a whole day in a car.It was 4 of us (including six months pregnant girl).We entered the place full of drunk people.When got to the reception a men approached us asking if we booked 4 bed dorm.He told us it was no longer available and we could have four beds in separate rooms with total strangers instead...It wasn't exactly what we booked in a first place (I've booked whole 4 bed dorm en-suit as I do every time we travel and I got a confirmation of that booking). Beware.....

2 Thank MadziulaM
Bruhostel, Owner at Bru Bar and Hostel, responded to this review, 6 June 2011
Hi, We are sorry that this happened to you, very seldom does it happen that due to earlier bookings of smaller parties we don't have enough beds in a single room to allocate an entire booking. What happens is, bed types are put up for sale, customers select the number of beds they want then the hostel allocates the group to rooms. Usually this isn't a problem but I remeber that as you had only made the booking the day before, there wasn't an option of allocating you to the same room. We opologise for this it hardly ever happens but we recommend groups book as far in advance as possible.
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2010

Stayed here on my own and had a great time - met loads of drinking partners and enjoyed teh craic in the bar. Good mix of people of varying ages, friendly staff, decent breakfast, 15E per night. Bargain.

• Stayed January 2011
Bruhostel, Owner at Bru Bar and Hostel, responded to this review, 6 June 2011
Hi, Thanks for the review and for enjopying yourself! It's always nice to hear from people who use and enjoy the hostel/bar as it was meant to be used!