“Wedding at the rochestown....5stars”

Rochestown Park Hotel
Ranked #18 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Reviewed 7 May 2014

In April I celebrated my wedding at the rochestown park hotel. I had 122 guests and booked the upstairs room, which I think is called the estuary suite. Although the hotel was not my first choice, I spoke to a manager after a friends wedding there and was shocked at the package they were offering. I like getting the best value for money so I happily lost my deposit on a different hotel and switched the venue.

The manager I was dealing with was John Paul Carroll, he was incredible from the start. I don't like beating around the bush or small talk in general and he was the best man for the job. He did what I asked with very little messing around. The week before the wedding I was worried about how the room was going to look as I had 2 bands booked (So I needed 2 stages), I also wanted a separate corner of the room for just kids stuff (games/bean bags/sweet cart) and I decided that I wanted the room to look smaller (due to a few people not being able to go and our numbers dropping a little).
JP set up the room with a few hours notice so I could see it and decide if i was happy...he got couches and plants in, had a massive curtain hanging behind the top table and adjusted the stages so the room looked smaller. He absolutely went above and beyond his call of duty.

The menu we decided on was very generous for the package price that we agreed on. Marcus the chef that was handling our menu was great to work with...again no beating around the bush, I was happy to take on board his suggestions and trusted his judgement. Everyone was raving about the food....excellent cuts of beef, the chicken was nice and moist (I was worried it was going to be dry as a lot of mass cooked chicken can be) the veg was nice and fresh, staff were continually topping up plates and having good banter with the guests.

I absolutely loved the day, I was blown away at how the room looked with the candles lighting and flowers, I was so relaxed...there were no issues, JP kept a close eye on everything...he stood watching as the food was being brought out from the kitchen and made sure it was done quickly, he handled the slideshow that we had prepared for the projector and sorted us out for the BBQ the next day including arranging for tvs to show the rugby match for my guests. My friends and family are still raving about it all.

Couldn't be happier with it all, I would recommend the hotel to anyone for their wedding or indeed any type of celebration or function. 5 stars

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Tom T, Manager at Rochestown Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Dear kerrydee,

I am delighted that the Rochestown Park could assist you in making your wedding day such a happy and joyous occasion for you and your husband. We strive here to make sure all of our wedding couples receive the best service before and on the day and anything we can do yo make your wedding dreams come true we will do. I have passed on your kind words to all of my team and John Paul who you spoke so highly of in your feedback.

I do hope we can welcome you back for many more special occasions to come.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Stayed here for some weeks with work throughout March and April and I can honestly say I absolutely loved it. From reception staff, to restaurant staff, accommodation staff, bar staff, the gym staff to even the head chef on the buffet at breakfast, everyone is just lovely ! The rooms are huge, immaculately clean and the beds are super comfortable, which is a rarity in hotels now days. Every morning for breakfast you're greeted with nothing but smiles and laughter. Check in is smooth and friendly and nothing is too much trouble. The company I work for use this hotel a lot for corporate travelers and we are all in agreement that this hotel is just FAB !! The food was just perfect and again nothing is too much trouble ( I'm sure I had the chefs demented with my seriously picky requests ) The guys behind the bar were absolute gents and extremely friendly !! I just can't fault the hotel at all, and I really hope I'll be back again in the near future :))

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear Leanne129,

I was delighted to read your review and share such wonderful comments with my team. I hope we can continue to count on your loyal custom for many more stays to come.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

Stayed at the Rochestown House Hotel for five nights in a junior suite. The room was very good in deed, large well appointed with a separate bedroom, lounge, dressing room and large bathroom, like a mini apartment really. The room had a fridge, two flat screen TVs and set able mood lighting. The bed was a super four poster king size with a range of pillows with varying softness. Annoyingly the room did not have bath robes or slippers which I would have thought would have been standard in a room of this sort. Also, a cooked breakfast could not be ordered to the room, only teas, juice and toast, a major disappointment as the lounge had a nice dining area. The hotel has ample parking and full wifi in all areas.

The room was very clean and was extremely well serviced by housekeeping on a daily basis.

I found the friendless of the staff ok, but at both check in and check out I had the same lady. She performed her tasks functionally but without warmth. On another occasion a male staff member bundled past us as we approached a corridor fire door carrying shopping bags when it would have been easier for him to hold the door open and let us past. As he done this and we past us after coming through the door he gave a shrug as if to indicate sorry, I got that wrong.

The leisure centre was superb with the kiddies being put out of the main pool at 1730hrs

Had two dinners at the Suttons Bistro. The first was a three course affair which was mixed. The soup starter was very tasty, lasagne main a bit strange, pale and lacking flavour, the sweet, meringue baskets with ice cream just ok. The second night was hamburgers which were standard enough fare. The breakfasts however were terrific. A full range of cereals, fruit, bread and cakes and chef on hand to serve a cooked Irish breakfast. Very well done and a highlight of our stay. Just a pity could not have had it in our suite!!!

The hotel is located on the southern edge of Cork near the village of Douglas. The village is lively with some nice bars and restaurants. The East Village is particularly good, as is the Bodega Bar / Restaurant in Cork city centre.

All in all a pleasant stay which was not spoiled by the minor quibbles as mentioned above.

Room Tip: A junior suite if possible
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Tom T, Manager at Rochestown Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2014

Dear Smartknot,

Thank you for sending us your comments on your recent stay at the Rochestown Park Hotel. I was disappointed to read your feedback on room service breakfast and staff and assure you I have asked my team to investigate and use your comments for staff training. Thank you for your kind words about housekeeping and the Buffet breakfast.

I do hope to welcome you back soon so you can see the positive results of your feedback.

Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

Booked into rochestown park using trivago got a reasonable deal. On arrival, hotel reception staff friendly. Room was very outdated. Was told the hotel had undergone a €80millon euro refurbishment! Was noticeable in some parts of hotel but not the older bedrooms. Our room faced the main road and could hear the traffic on the motorway. Food in the bar was nice but overpriced. The breakfast experience the next morning was chaotic! Had to wait 20mins in a queue (on a Sunday morning) to be seated. No organisation to breakfast at all and from staying in other 4 star hotels was disappointed with this. Even stayed in 3 star hotels with more organisation. There was a wedding the previous night and the guests were skipping the breakfast queues to sit at tables with other wedding guests which was unfair in my opinion! When we eventually got seated we were served by a lovely waiter. Cooked breakfast was ok. Overall, expected a lot more from rochestown park especially when it's a well established hotel known all over Ireland!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Gtown27,

I was very disappointed to read your review and see that your stay did not meet your expectations. Please be assured I have spoken with my team about your feedback and they will investigate and action any issues that we possibly can at the Hotel. We strive to give our customers an exceptional experience during there time with us and I do hope we will return again so we have the opportunity to show you the level of service we can and do provide.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

I stayed here in March 2014. It was a busy weekend, conference, Mothers Day, etc. The hotel was very easy to find, however the main entrance / reception was quite hard to find, we took one or two wrong turns. The main reception desk is situated at the back of the hotel, if you go in through the main door, it is quite a walk to reception. Our room was spacious and clean. Breakfast on both mornings was lovely, service was very efficient and friendly. Room service was prompt and food was still quite hot on arrival. On the down side, the room & bathroom wasn't cleaned properly on the Saturday morning, bins not emptied, etc and it was quite expensive to stay.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear Jane C,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on tripadvisor. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and thought so highly of the Hotel and service and I also want to assure you that the Housekeeping manager is investigating your comments on the room to make sure this does not occur again.

I do hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Not 4star standard we were a family of 4, the pool closed far too early for children at 5.30.
Reception staff not very helpful. Outdated room broken table leg dangerous with children very old TV. lift didnt work half the time restaurant good staff there very helpful and friendly. too expensive .for what you get. needs to be updated. No extra pillows in room or fridge which you need with small children. Breakfast room too hot dont need heat on. need more staff on hot food felt sorry for chef doing it all himself.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank siobhan2B

Dear siobhan2B,

I was disappointed to read your review and see that overall you had some issues with your stay. I have spoken with all of my management team and they will investigate the feedback and do any necessary training with the staff and update any other issues.

I do hope to welcome you back soon so you yourself can experience the positive outcomes of your feedback.

Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

Arrived with my family and had a great few days. The packed lunch to foto island is a must. The staff are great also.....on the down side and it's only minor....the wifi is shockingly poor and the lobby is very chilly in the evening if your sitting in when the bar is full

Stayed: April 2014

Dear Hungrycorkman79,

Thank you for your kind words from your recent stay with us, I was delighted you enjoyed your visit with us. Please be assured that I have asked my IT Technician to investigate your wifi feedback and see if improvements can be made.