“Absolutely faultless”

Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Cork, Ireland
“Absolutely faultless”
Reviewed 25 June 2012

My wife and I got married here at the end of May 2012 and I can honestly say we could not have chosen a better hotel.

The location is perfect as it is very close to Douglas, a bustling city suburb, and only 10 minutes drive from Cork city; yet it is secluded in beautiful grounds that gives it a lovely old country manor feel.

The hotel itself is beautiful with fantastic bedrooms (the honeymoon suite was incredible), lovely gardens, and very tasteful decor. The food is amazing (we have eaten here on seperate occasions also) and the staff are very friendly and attentive.

Elaine, our wedding planner, was a pleasure to deal with and left no stone unturned in ensuring that it was the best two days of our lives.

The leisure facilities (gym and pool) are excellent and the spa is top notch also.

We were fortunate enough to have a beautiful day for the wedding and so made the most of the beatuiful gardens and marquee that was available to us.

I would thoroughly recommend visiting this hotel whether it is for afternoon tea, a scrumpciuos dinner, a weekend break or for your wedding.

Thanks to all at The Maryborough for making our experience such a memorble one that will live with us for the rest of our lives.

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
, Guest Relations Manager at Maryborough Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 15 July 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for such a glowing report on your wedding day here in The Maryborough Hotel & Spa. I am so pleased to read of all the positive points you made about the hotel. I will pass on your comments to Elaine, your wedding planner and to all of our team, both front of house and back of house that help to make every wedding such a special event for each couple and their guests.

We hope to see you back again throughout the year and also for your 1st Anniversary Dinner when the time come. On behalf of all of the Maryborough team, thank you for such a nice review.

Deputy General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
  • Polish first
Cashel, Ireland
Reviewed 23 June 2012

Wonderful location on its own grounds and surrounded by mature trees. Good beds pity they are split in the middle (2 mattresses). Seperate Male and female spa areas which did not impress us.
Good breakfast. Great staff. A bit pricey but worth it.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Trip Advisor. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay. All of our rooms can be made as a double or a twin hence the 'Zip & Link' mattress. This allows us to cater for different configurations of guest bedrooms. Our Espa Spa is an Urban Spa, which has seperate areas for male & female and sometimes this is not to eveyone's personal taste. On a postive note, I'm very happy that you enjoyed the food and liked the staff.

We hope to have you return again to The Maryborough Hotel & Spa again soon.

Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 23 June 2012

We stayed here for one night with our 4 children. From the moment we walked in and saw the beautiful reception with its fire lighting we felt right at home.
Staff were extremely helpful and friendly. Our rooms were interconnecting. They were clean and of a high standard. We spent over an hour in the lovely swimming pool with the children.Sauna and steamroom are great,
Got tasty food delivered to our room that night, very prompt.
Breakfast was delicious with lots of variety.
Really enjoyed our stay, pity it was just for one night!

Dear Iggy,

Thank you for your kind review on Trip Advisor. It was great to meet you and your family here in The Maryborough Hotel & Spa. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your experience with us and I look forward to welcoming you back again sometime soon, maybe even for longer next time. I hope that ye managed to win a few medals on the day!!!

Tipperary, Ireland
Reviewed 21 June 2012

the maryborough was a hotel i stayed in a few years ago and was quite happy with. i returned this year with my husband, booked a few months in advance and when i arrived i was told that this weekend there was a bridge weekend on in the hotel. i told them that when i booked they told me nothing about this and i didnt see how it would be a problem for me. i was very wrong because any time we wanted to order something in the bar we were told it wasnt a good time to be in the bar and perhaps we would like to wait until later on when the people playing bridge would be gone off to the back rooms for their games. i thought it was appalling and every guest should be treated the same. wont be going back.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
, Guest Relations Manager at Maryborough Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 23 June 2012
Dear Guest,

I am very sorry to read that you did not enjoy your return trip to The Maryborough Hotel & Spa. It is true that the Bridge Congress was on as you mentioned in your review. The times for lunch & dinner of the Bridge players are very busy times as there are quite a lot of players, also resident in the hotel eating at once. However this should not have been enough reason to be refused any dining service.
Please contact me directly at dheaney@maryborough.ie to discuss your stay in greater detail. I hope to be afforded the opportunity to turn your negative experience into a positive one.

Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 21 June 2012

Was here for a wedding and was so impressed. The location is beautiful and even though the weather wasn't great, the gardens looked great from the windows!
The room was a great size, very clean. All the meals we had in the hotel were delicious (recommend the steak!) and even for the wedding when mass catering can often mean that the food suffers.
The pool and spa area were fantastic. The pool was just the right temperature which meant that our little girl could happily enjoy the pool for an hour or so (so many pools are just that little too cold). The spa area looked great and although I didn't have time to enjoy it the prices looked good!
And to top it all off there is a private petting area attached to the hotel that my little girl loved and as it is for hotel residents only we could enjoy it at our own pace and in peace and quiet. The animals looked well cared for and as happy as you can in the cork rain :-)
Hope to come back again one day to enjoy this hotel further.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
, Guest Relations Manager at Maryborough Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 16 July 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind review. I’m very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay. The gardens are obviously benefitting from all the rain during this summer season and the flowers are in full bloom. I will be forwarding your kind comments on your meals to our Head Chef.
Our Pet Farm is certainly an added attraction and we like to have children having fun, helping to feed the pets with us each day. They certainly are well looked after and they are very happy, as part of one very big ‘Maryborough family’!
I look forward to welcoming you back to The Maryborough Hotel & Spa in the near future.

Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 21 June 2012

I recently attended a wedding at this fantastic hotel and enjoyed my stay there enormously! The staff were exception in their attention to detail and the hotel was immaculate. I would very highly recommend anyone thinking of staying here to do so! You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Any rooms that I saw were all perfect. I was on the ground floor, which is very suitable for those l...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
, Public Relations Manager at Maryborough Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 15 July 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for a lovely review on Trip advisor. I'm very happy that you enjoyed the wedding. We are very proud of our weddings here in the Maryborough Hotel & Spa and I will be forwarding on your kind review to Sean and all of his team.

Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 20 June 2012

Spent 2 nights recently at Marborough in Cork, good location for city walking distance to Douglas for shops, pubs etc. It really was a great experience and that was soley due to the staff. We never encountered any bad service or attitude, in fact the complete opposite. It was so good that the only complaints I had are very fussy ones! On arrival reception staff were excellent, even gave my friend direction on my mobile of how to get there. Checked in, (small detail would have been nice to get an offer to carry my bag up as it weighed a tonne, wasn't a pull along and it was bit of a trek to room). Room was lovely and very clean. We then went for lunch, i ordered something I didn't like and the waiter dealt with it so well (felix). He brought me something else and then never charged for any of my meal, he really was excellent and it made the whole thing so pleasurable that I'd eat there again in a heartbeat! Then it was off to thermal suite in the. All i can say is WOW.
We ate in the hotel for dinner also and it was really good, breakfast on 2 mornings again was excellent. In fact I am booking again it was that good, can't think of enough words to describe how much we enjoyed it.
Only thing that leaves the place down is the bar/lunch dining area/ restaurant. If I walked in off the street I just wouldn't eat there, and I would miss out on great food. these areas feel like walk throughs and with no designated spaces and all the traffic going to rooms etc walks through, feels like an airport lounge and really doesn't reflect the great food, service and the lovely decor of the rooms

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for a very nice review on our hotel. I am very pleased to announce that in the next couple of months we intend a major facelift to our Garden Room area. The comments that you have made about it being similar to an airport lounge/ walkway are understandable and we have brand new plans to change all of that. I will pass on your kind words to Feliks our waiter and to our Head Chef.
I look forward to welcoming you back again soon and also hope that you will enjoy the changes to the hotel when they will be completed.