“good time!”

Maryborough Hotel & Spa
Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Reviewed 16 February 2014

stayed here on valentines weekend with my husband and friends, we arrived early, around half twelve,reception staff lovely but reception area needs to be updated, only bad thing i could say!!. Room was ready so was able to check in before using spa, waiting in our room was chocolate covered strawberries and processo, yum yum. spa fab and staff too, i had lucy and she certainly had her work cut out with me, very pleasant girl and knowledgeable too, dinner in restaurant, scallops to start, a bit on the small side, duck for main and to follow a divine oreo chocolate mousse. testaurant staff were more very efficient especialy considering it was so busy, breakfast, ok homemade scones and cookies a nice touch, cooked breakfast was cold, all in all i would return !

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
TheMaryborough, Digital Marketing Executive at Maryborough Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear Joey michelle D,

Thank you for sharing your experiences from your recent stay at The Maryborough. We’re delighted you chose to celebrate Valentine’s with us and that you had a pleasant stay. Thank you for your compliments of our reception, spa and restaurant teams. I’ll be sure to pass along your kind remarks to them as I know they'll be as thrilled to hear the feedback as I am. So glad you enjoyed dinner, particularly the dessert. It’s a personal favourite. We’re pleased you were able to take advantage of our Spa facilities and hope you found the experience relaxing. I’m disappointed to hear your cooked breakfast was cold and will bring that to the attention of the relevant department as well. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Digital Marketing Executive

Write a ReviewReviews (2,090)

Reviewed 16 February 2014

The spa in the hotel was absolutely lovely, but they segregate men and wimmin, arghhh! I don't want to spend my Valentine Spa time with three doughty same sex Irish ladies do I!!! That ain't sexy. I found it too hot in there anyway, so lovely as it was, I didn't stay too long.

Next morning, after a lush cooked breakfast, we went to the gym together. In eight years, this is the first time, and I'm really proud. The hotel's leisure suite had it's own pool with spa, sauna and steam, and we were allowed mixed sex in there, thankfully. Although the need for a silly hat once again irked me, why do they do that, it's pointless, especially when you see blokes with more hair than werewolves.

I like this hotel a lot. Hard beds though! Well thought out, nice location, ample parking, and charming staff.

Dear PaulaMellon,

Thank you for your recent review of The Maryborough. We appreciate you allowing us to be a part of your Valentine’s Day celebration. We’re pleased you liked the hotel and found our location convenient and our staff friendly. Thank you also for your compliments regarding the quality of breakfast. We’re so glad to hear you found the Spa lovely. Please accept my sincere apologies for your disappointment in the separate male and female facilities. I’m delighted, however, that you were able to take advantage of our leisure club facilities and spend time together with your partner in the pool, sauna, and steam room. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review. We hope to be able to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

We stayed in The Maryborough Hotel on Valentines weekend and enjoyed a fantastic, relaxing stay in beautiful surroundings. First impression of the hotel was great as we were checked in by very friendly and pleasant staff at reception. Lovely fire in the lobby was a very cosy feature. Our room on the first floor was spacious and very comfortable, right next to the Spa and a few steps from the bar and restaurant. We ate in the restaurant on the Sat night, food was great. Gourmet style but good sized dishes. Dessert was top class!!! The staff in the restaurant were so helpful and nice, nothing was too much trouble. Visited the Thermal Suite before checking out on Sunday morning. Bit surprised to learn it was separate thermal suites for men and women but this wasn't a huge deal really. Was a very tranquil setting, great sized jacuzzi and overall a gorgeous facility. Came away very very relaxed and refreshed! Highly recommend the Maryborough, fab setting tucked away in the outskirts of Cork City but still close enough to city to be convenient. Very efficient staff who could not do enough for us, waitresses in restaurant and manager Shane were especially welcoming and found the receptionist on check out really friendly and genuine. Cant wait to visit again asap!

Dear cats222,

Thank you for choosing The Maryborough to celebrate Valentine’s Day and for taking the time to share your experiences. We’re thrilled to hear you had a wonderful stay and were able to relax surrounded by our beautiful gardens. Thank you for your kind remarks on the friendliness and helpfulness of our staff. The Maryborough team works hard each day to make our guests’ visit pleasant and memorable. I’ll be passing along your compliments to our reception and restaurant team. Delighted you found your room comfortable, and the food in Bellini’s delicious. I’m glad you were also able to take advantage of our Thermal Suites and were able to unwind in the tranquil setting. Thank you again for your review and recommendation. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

Can honestly say the best hotel experience we have had. Breakfast was delightful and the bar food had lovely options and was top notch. The bar area was very comfortable and the staff couldn't be more helpful and were extremely personable. We also used the pool and the spa which was lovely but unfortunately I didn't have time for a treatment (I definitely will on my return). We stayed for two nights but could have happily stayed for a week. Looking forward to coming back!!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
TheMaryborough, Digital Marketing Executive at Maryborough Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

Dear Jo K,

Thank you for the lovely compliments in your recent review of the hotel. We appreciate you taking the time to share the experiences of your stay. We're absolutely delighted to hear you had such a wonderful visit to The Maryborough. Thank you for your compliments regarding the quality of food served in Bellini's as well the friendliness of our staff. I will be sure to pass along your kind remarks to our team. We're pleased you were able to use some of our Spa and Club facilities and hope you will unwind with a treatment upon your return. Thank you again for your review, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

Enjoyed a trip to Cork and to the Maryborough despite the floods! Check in was swift and courteous by a friendly young man and we were given the key to our room 319, awaiting us on arrival in our room was a bottle of Prosecco on ice and some chocolate dipped strawberries, as per our deal! The room was most comfortable, king sized bed,crisp linen, shining en-suite, large soft towels, bottled water and a pleasant view! We dined in Zing restaurant on our 1st night where we enjoyed a delicious 4 course meal and had some very tasty bar food on the 2nd night. Breakfast is cooked to order......oh joy!! A busy hotel enjoyed by residents, ladies who lunch- afternoon tea and morning coffee no recession in the Maryborough!!

1  Thank foodnwine5
TheMaryborough, Digital Marketing Executive at Maryborough Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Dear foodnwine5,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the hotel. We’re so glad you had a safe journey when you ventured down to Cork for a break at The Maryborough. I’m happy to hear your check in was quick and you were welcomed to the hotel by our friendly staff. It is always our hope that our guests feel comfortable and looked after from the moment they walk through our doors. I will be sure to pass your compliments along to our Reception team. We’re delighted you found your room pleasant and enjoyed the amenities as well as your view. Thank you also for your compliments regarding the quality of food during your dining experiences in Bellini’s Bar and Restaurant. I’ll pass your remarks along to our culinary team as I’m sure they will receive as much joy from the feedback as I have. Thank you again for your review, and we hope to see you on your next visit to Cork.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

My husband and I traveled to Ireland for our honeymoon, one of our stops for 3 days was at the Maryborough Hotel and Spa in Cork.
We did the spa the last day where we both used all of the relaxation facilities and each got an hour massage. It was absolutely beautiful and the attention you received from the ladies prior and after your service was incredible, they definitely made you feel like royalty.
I really hope one day my husband and I will be able to travel back to Ireland, and if so we will be making some of our stay at this beautiful spa.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Breanne L

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your experience at The Maryborough in October. We’re absolutely delighted you chose to spend a portion of your honeymoon with us and thrilled to hear you had a wonderful time. I’m so glad you were able to spend your last day relaxing in our Thermal Suites and taking advantage of the Spa facilities. Thank you for your lovely compliments in terms of the space and our staff. Our team definitely make the experience. Thank you again for your review, and we hope to welcome you back sometime soon.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

Last year we stayed one night in February at the Maryborough for Valentinesday. We asked for the spa room with a bubble bath in the room and we were looking forward to use the spa together. We loved the spa room even though there was some broken things there. The design was exclusive and cool. And one of the walls is filled with light that looks like stars. The spa rooms are in the basement, so if you want a view then you will be disappointed.

The spa is with lots of jets in the pool and it is better then the average, but it is not romantic at all. If you travel as a couple it is a huge disappointment that the spa is separated with a mens section and a female section. Nothing on their homepage mentions this, and the hotel is marketed as a romantic getaway, so we felt fooled. I had a neck and shoulder massage and was not relaxed at all, because the person massaging me could not stop talking.

We had paid for a deal where dinner was included. But the restaurant was not very romantic.

If you want a girl trip then this place is perfect, but if you are traveling as a couple I would recommend Fota Island instead.

Room Tip: Ask for the spa room if you are ok with no view.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Nina S,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your experience at The Maryborough last year. We’re delighted you loved the spa bedroom and appreciated the design and lighting within the room. However, I’m disheartened to hear you were disappointed in parts of your stay. I would like to offer my sincere apologies that you felt in any way misled in regards to our spa thermal suites. Please know, that in the last year, we have made a number of updates to the information on our website as it is never our intention for our guests to feel misinformed. For the comfort of all our guests, and as per the ESPA guidelines when Maryborough Spa was designed, our thermal suites are separate. We do offer our guests traveling as couples the opportunity to use the pool, sauna, and steam room facilities in the Club. We also try to allow our couples to remain together in one of the relaxation suites post-treatment. Please know, I have passed your feedback on to our Spa management team, and we will discuss our options as our primary concern is always our guests’ experience. I have also passed along the information regarding your therapist as this is incredibly unusual to hear. Our therapists are highly trained, and the vast majority of the comments we hear are positive. Since your stay, we have also remodeled our bar area and put finishing touches on the restaurant. Thank you again for your review.