“Could be better”

Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Dublin
“Could be better”
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Ok. Stayed here on a business trip recently. Old part of hotel as you enter is full of charm and character, staff friendly and accomodating.

The good points about this hotel. The leisure centre is outstanding, great gym equipment, amazing sauna, one of the best I have used and there is a really relaxed feel about the centre. The rooms are nice, comfortable and well appointed, the showers could be better.

The bad things about this hotel. The food is poor in general, it smacks of a chef who is lazy and not too bothered about what he is doing. I ordered a steak which was ok quality and cooked as I asked for it. However when I asked if the chips were homemade I was told they were frozen, this is supposed to be a four star hotel? So I asked for a baked potato, I was told they had roast. They came out just above cold. The steak was sloppily presented on a bed of mushrooms and onions. The decor in the bar and restaurant are terrible, cold and uninviting. There has been no attempt to merge the old with the new. The breakfast spread the next morning was dreadful. A section of tables with the worst choice of food I have seen in any hotel for a long time. There was little or no choice. Breakfast looked like a complete after thought. The black cups, bowls, bowls and plates really need to be replaced with white.

When paying €115 a night you would expect far higher standards than this.

Over all ok. Nothing special.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Bugnug
TheMaryborough, Digital Marketing Executive at Maryborough Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Dear Bugnug,

Thank you for your review of your recent visit to The Maryborough on business. We’re delighted you enjoyed the charm of the Old House and that our staff were friendly and helpful during your stay. It’s wonderful you were able to make use of our leisure centre while you were here, and thank you for your compliments regarding the equipment and atmosphere of the Club. Our team will be thrilled to hear it. We’re pleased, as well, that you enjoyed your room and were comfortable. However, I’d like to apologise for the details of your stay in which you were disappointed, particularly the food. We generally receive positive feedback regarding dinner in the restaurant, so please know, we will be investigating this incident to understand the particulars and work to enhance our guest experience. We’ve worked quite diligently over the last year to up the bar in our restaurant and appreciate your honesty as your remarks aid us in pointing out areas which need continued improvement. We will also be making changes to the breakfast buffet in the near future and will take your feedback into account. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review. We hope you choose to return in the future and allow us the opportunity to impress you with your dining experiences.

Digital Marketing Executive

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
  • Polish first
Castledermot, Ireland
Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

Hi, We visited this hotel for my dads 70th birthday. We stayed 3 nights. There were 12 adults and 4 kids.
The positives were - for a 4* hotel the bedroom was average with comfy beds. The reception and bar staff were nice and friendly. Hotel wifi was good everywhere. The restaurant and bar food in general was very good but small portions. The leisure centre and gym were very good and enjoyable.
The negatives were - when checking in some of our party had to wait an extra 2-3 hrs to check in. Not what you need after a long drive. The glasses in the bar and at breakfast were all filthy. The first evening I had to ask the barman to change my glass a few times which had lipstick or grit on it. He joked saying it wasn't my shade! I cleaned one pint glass myself and asked for refills for the rest of the evening. The glasses and bowls at breakfast were also dirty. Some of the staff at breakfast were a bit all over the place. You could be waiting ages for someone to take an order or three of them would ask for your order one after the other, and this was at a very quiet time 8.30am! It was a shame that such small things that can easily be fixed let the place down.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear walsh74,

Thank you for choosing The Maryborough as your destination to celebrate such a special occasion. We appreciate you taking the time to write a review and share your experience. We’re pleased you found the beds comfortable and the WiFi convenient. It’s wonderful as well that you were able to take advantage of the leisure centre during your stay. Thank you for your compliments in regards to the friendliness of our reception and bar staff as well as the quality of the food. I’ll be sharing your remarks with the team. But I’d like to apologise for the aspects of your stay that did not meet your expectations. I’m sorry to hear you had to wait for your rooms as I understand the frustration that comes with it. As well, dirty glasses are completely unacceptable. I will be passing your feedback along to our management team so that we can further investigate the situation. Thank you again for your review, and we look forward to the opportunity to exceed your expectations if you return to The Maryborough.

Wexford
Reviewed 17 March 2014

When we arrived thought hotel looked old, but when we got inside we were pleasantly surprised the hotel was beautiful so modern. We both could not believe our room it was as all open plan two person juczzbath it was heaven. We had dinner in restaurant which was beautiful I had oxtail lasagne which was out of this world. Breakfast was very disappointing there were black bits floating in milk jug and no selection of herbal teas. Went to get a muffin and they were all gone and we had breakfast a hour before finishing up time. We would both still go back to hotel

Room Tip: We had room 051 fab a must if staying
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Irene F,

Thank you for your recent review regarding your visit to The Maryborough. We’re pleased to hear you enjoyed the decor of the hotel and were delighted with our Spa Jacuzzi room. We appreciate your compliments regarding the quality of dinner in the restaurant, and I will be passing them along to our culinary team. However, I’m disheartened to hear you were disappointed in your breakfast experience. I have passed your feedback on to our restaurant and management teams and will be following up to ensure processes are put in place to avert any further issues. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future and have the opportunity to wow you. Thank you again for taking the time to share the details of your stay.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

The woman who services the front desk couldn't be more happy or more willing to try to accommodate. About 30 minutes after getting to my room she called to ask how everything was. I said I was slightly disappointed because there was no minibar with water. After I came back from dinner that night there was the tiniest refrigerator, along with water bottles and cookies! The fridge was useless but I was happy to get the water and I appreciated that they really went above and beyond. The buffet breakfast which came with my room was sufficient but the service was very poor. Lastly, I was concerned that the room needed a thorough cleaning as the dust in my photo shows. However I would probably stay here again when coming for work.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank michelle r
Dear michelle r,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at The Maryborough. We’re delighted our staff looked after you while you were here. Thank you for your compliments to our team and the acknowledgement of their efforts, as it is our priority to endeavor to make a guest’s stay as pleasant as possible. I will be sure to pass your remarks on to our Reception team. I’m sorry to hear you were disappointed in the breakfast service and the cleanliness of your room. Please know that I will be speaking with the rest of the management team regarding these concerns so as to make the necessary improvements. We hope you choose to return to The Maryborough on your next business trip to Cork. Thank you again for your review.

Banbury - Oxford
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I stayed at the Maryborough for a weekend in February 2014. I arrived before check in and asked to leave my bags whilst I went exploring. When I returned the member of staff who took my bag greeted me by name and informed me that my key was ready and asked if I'd like my bags.
All members of staff at reception remembered my name for the weekend (a nice touch) and were very friendly. The room was lovely, well equipped and comfortable without being extravagant. The breakfast was disappointing but everything else was perfect.I will certainly visit again should I need to go to Cork.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
TheMaryborough, Digital Marketing Executive at Maryborough Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Dear Padster_7,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your experience at The Maryborough. We’re delighted to hear our staff took such great care of you during your stay. Our guests are what make The Maryborough and each person who walks through our doors is important to us. We’re pleased you found your room comfortable, having all the pertinent amenities. I’d like to apologize that breakfast did not meet your expectations. Please know I will be passing your feedback along to our management team, and we are looking into making a few changes. Thank you again for your review, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Cork and The Maryborough in the future.

Waterford, Ireland
Reviewed 10 March 2014

My husband and I spent a most beautiful weekend in this hotel from the 14th to the 16th of Feb this year. From the moment we arrived the reception staff did their very best to make us feel at home.
Our meals were first class standard and deserving of a Michelin star. The breakfast was a buffet style with anything you could wish for. The staff were also on hand to ensure your cup was never empty.
On both nights the evening meal was absolutely delicious: fillet steak to die for. The menu offers a wide range of diffefent dishes, therefore eating in the hotel both nights was perfect.
During our trip into Douglas we happened upon the Douglas Tea Room- a hidden treasure for
dinner in the hear of Douglas.
What was a stunning weekend, was made even better by running into my favourite character in Fair City: a true gent.
I recommend the Maryborough, and Douglas area in general, to anyone looking for a romantic,
calming escape near Cork.

Room Tip: We had a spa room, beautiful.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Breda M,

Thank you for choosing The Maryborough for your Valentine’s romantic getaway. We appreciate the kind words in your review describing your recent stay in the hotel. As it is always our priority for guests to feel welcome and comfortable, we’re delighted you felt at home during your visit. Thank you for your compliments regarding the food served for breakfast and dinner. We’re thrilled you chose to dine with us both nights and found the variety of dishes plentiful. I’ll be sure to pass your remarks along to our culinary team as I know your feedback will please them greatly. We’re glad you enjoyed the location and had time to explore nearby Douglas. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon. Thank you again for your review and recommendation.

Waterford, Waterford, Ireland
Reviewed 9 March 2014

I recently enjoyed a weekend break in this hotel with my sisters and mother. I can't speak highly enough of the quality of service on offer. From the moment of arrival we were greeted by friendly, efficient, genuinely helpful staff who are among the best I've encountered in any hotel in Ireland. They were attentive without being intrusive, friendly without being familiar and charming without cloying.The hotel is located within beautiful green gardens/parkland and is a short drive from Douglas village centre. The rooms were immaculate, comfortable and for the price we paid, of a very high standard. My only (very slight) criticism is that they were a little dark and a little too warm, (we were unable to adjust the piping hot radiator in out room), and we experienced quite a delay in getting water delivered to our rooms on our second day. We stayed for two nights and the breakfast on offer was excellent with a varied and delicious range of options; the Eggs Benedict were particularly good. We had dinner on Saturday night and once again it was faultless with each member of our party being more than satisfied with their individual choices.While none of us used the pool in the leisure centre, we did use the gym which is well equipped and the thermal spa which was blissfully relaxing. I can wholeheartedly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear Denise Q,

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at The Maryborough with your family. Thank you for your lovely compliments regarding the service you received. We’re delighted to hear our staff were friendly and helpful and that they enhanced your stay. Our team is such an important part of the Maryborough culture and integral to the guest experience. I’ll be sure to pass along your kind remarks. We’re glad you found the location convenient to Douglas and that you appreciated the gardens and natural parkland surrounding the hotel. We’re also thrilled you enjoyed your rooms, but I will be sending on your feedback to our accommodation team regarding the lighting, heat, and water delivery. We want our guests to be as comfortable as possible. Thank you also for your compliments regarding the food served in Bellini’s; we’re so glad you found your dining experience enjoyable. Lastly, we’re pleased you were able to take advantage of our state-of-the- art Club and relax in our luxurious Thermal Suites. Thank you again for your review and recommendation, and we hope to see you again soon.