“Comfortable and friendly hotel with spacious room”

Maryborough Hotel & Spa
Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I enjoyed a 1 night stay here recently. My room overlooked the garden and a nice touch on arrival were some cakes in my room, very nice !
Check in and out were fine, the bar staff friendly and breakfast was good.
Looking forward to my next stay.

Room Tip: Ask for one overlooking garden
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 7 May 2014

My Husband and I stayed here while passing through Cork last week. We loved it. The staff was so extremely friendly, the room was meticulously clean, the amenities were great and the grounds were beautiful. I did not love the bathroom, but other than that I loved the sleek and contemporary look of the room. If I'm fortunate enough to be in Ireland again, I would definitely make it a point to visit this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
TheMaryborough, Digital Marketing Executive at Maryborough Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear Sara H,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Maryborough during your holiday to Ireland. We hope you enjoyed your visit to Cork. We’re delighted to hear you loved your time with us at the hotel. Thank you so much for your kind compliments regarding our staff. I’ll be sure to pass along your remarks. We’re also pleased you found the room comfortable and appreciated our gardens. We do hope you will return to Ireland in the future so that we have the opportunity to welcome you back. Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

This was the second time my husband and I had spent at the Maryborough. We had enjoyed our stay so much the previous time we decided to do it again. So when we saw a special deal that the hotel was offering we decided to book. On our arrival the staff were very polite, helpful and friendly, our booking in was all done quickly and effortlessly. Our room was superb, we had been booked into one of the hotels spa rooms. Waiting for us in our room was a lovely plate with strawberries on it and a bottle of bubbly chilling in an ice bucket...( part of the special offer.......what a welcome!!). The room itself was spotlessly clean and very well presented. My only gripe would be that the bed itself wasn't very comfortable..my husband discovered the next morning a problem with the frame under the mattress, but the mattress itself was of a good quality, otherwise could have been much worse. The bath tub in the room was a little strange, but i actually really enjoyed it...especially as my husband and i discovered we could both fit in...(and we wouldn't be the smallest of people!!) Which brings me onto our meal. Absolutely stunning! Three courses of pure delight....duck, guinea fowl and pannacotta....yum! The breakfast the next morning was equally good....i had poached eggs, which were cooked spot on...and then being a bit of a piggy, had a few slices of melon from the buffet. The buffet itself included a wide variety of beautiful, fresh, tempting delights including croissants, danishes, fresh melon and pineapple, cold meats, smoked salmon, a wide selection of fresh juices, smoothies and cereals. A quick mention about the pool and spa. The pool was a little on the cool side when we visited, but it is a good size and the Jacuzzi was a good bit of fun. The actual spa side of things was lovely, and very relaxing. It is separated into male and female, and although i would have liked to have been with my husband it was a nice, calm place to be. The plunge pool was glorious! It has to be said i absolutely love visiting this beautiful hotel and look forward to my next visit...hint, hint hubby!! ;) .

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Jennie S,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and share the details of your experience at The Maryborough. We’re delighted you chose to return for another visit with us. It’s great to hear your check-in was efficient and that you received a warm welcome upon your arrival as we hope all our guests feel at home. We’re thrilled you enjoyed our unique spa jacuzzi room. Please know that I have also passed your feedback regarding the bed on to our accommodation team, and we are looking into that. Thank your for your lovely compliments regarding your dining experience in Bellini’s. I know our Restaurant team will be pleased to hear your remarks. Lastly, we’re so glad you were able to take advantage of our Spa Thermal Suite facilities and hope it helped you relax during your stay. Thank you again for your review, and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

Stayed one night on a Gift Special that we received which included a dinner. Very nice room which had a small terrace, although due to the weather the terrace was of no use to us, but i imagine that it would be very nice on a sunny day. Nice spacious room and bathroom and the only criticism is that they could have provided a shower cap in the bathroom.
The meal was nice and we were impressed that even though we had a standard price meal as part of the package, we were allowed to choose anything from the A La Carte and just pay the supplements. Amazing how some establishments will not allow something as simple as this.
Breakfast was good, if a tad slow in arriving. Very good choice. Again, a hint to the hotel, you should provide some sort of small bowl which people can use for the jams.
Overall, would highly recommend the Maryborough, and it was a great and much appreciated gift.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 April 2014

we stayed here as it was the venue for my sisters wedding the majority of the staff were very friendly which is what i would expect from any hotel.we stayed for 2 nights in a family room
we used the farm which the kids enjoyed you need to get a key from the reception desk this could have been made clearer
the kids enjoyed the pool while the changing area is modern the pool hasnt been updated in a while
also the hairdryer in our room while it worked fine is very old and the bathroom had nice handcream but the pump didnt work and there was paint peeling off the wall bath needed to be sealed as well i know these are anly small things but it doesnt really give an impression of luxury
we took the stairs alot and there was extra chiars and highchairs just hanging around on the stairs behind the restaurant which i thought seemed odd and blocking an exit too
the restaurant for breakfast was lovely food was very nice
the restaurant for dinner again the food was very nice and the staff in the evening were very friendly with the kids although i got the impression that all the families with noisy kids were in one corner it didnt really bother me
we would stay here again but stay often in cork and actually prefer a different 4 star hotel so its unlikely that we would stay here again
my thoughts of the hotel in relation to my sisters wedding
alot of the guests seemed to be unaware of the marquee outside and the welcome reception inside
the room decor was very nice although quite dark it inside was still bright outside no windows
the food for the main meal and the afters was very nice
again the majority of the staff were very friendly but one definately didnt like the kids running around they went to bed just after nine once the meal and speeches were finished my niece babtsat so we stayed up for another bit
my sister and brother in law enjoyed their wedding day very much but i dont know how much of that is down to the hotel
personally i think there is better value for money out there again for the wedding i didnt see much of a difference between a three and four star venue
i didnt use the spa unfortunately so cannot comment they were doing a treatment and lunch for 79euro at the time which seemed like good value
overall our stay was very enjoyable and relaxing the food was very nice and the majority of the staff were friendly

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
TheMaryborough, Digital Marketing Executive at Maryborough Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Dear michelle c,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your visit with us for your sister’s wedding. We’re pleased you found our staff friendly and hope they were of help to you during your stay. I’m glad to hear you had time to visit our pet farm and leisure club and that the kids enjoyed the experience. I appreciate your feedback regarding the communication of needing to pick a key up at reception and will be looking into ways to clarify that. I will also pass on your remarks about your room’s bathroom to our Accommodation Manager to ensure these details are fixed promptly. Additionally, please know I’ll be discussing your comments on the wedding with our management team. We’re delighted you enjoyed your dining experiences in Bellin’s as well as the food served at the wedding. Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

We stayed for 2 nights in this lovely hotel. As it was a treat for my husband's 40th we were upgraded to a spa room on our arrival. The room was huge with a jacuzzi bath. I felt the shower curtain was a bit grubby and the mattress wasn't up to standard. Overall however the room was very clean.
The food in the restaurant was excellent as was the service for both dinner and breakfast. The hotel itself is in an excellent location and provides a Wonderful base for exploring cork city and west Cork.
The reception desk staff were very efficient. I had a wonderful treatment in the spa which I really enjoyed. I would be happy to recommend this hotel and we hope to return for a family break in the future

• Stayed: April 2014

Dear niamhafarrell,

Thank you for your recent review of your visit to the hotel. We’re thrilled we could be a part of your husband’s birthday celebrations. I’m glad to hear you enjoyed the room, but I would like to offer my apologies that you were disappointed in a few aspects. Please know that I am passing your feedback along to our Accommodation Manager. We’re delighted you enjoyed your dining experiences in Bellini’s and so appreciative of your compliments. I know our restaurant team will love hearing your remarks. I’m also glad you found our reception staff helpful and our location convenient. And that you had time to relax with a treatment in the Spa. Thank you again for your review and recommendation. We look forward to welcoming you and your family in the near future.

Kristin L

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Our stay at the Maryborough Hotel can be summed up in one word "FANTASTIC". From the moment we arrived we were met by the most friendly and helpful reception staff. Our kids loved the crazy golf course. We had an evening meal and breakfast on 2 mornings, food and service was great, staff and restaurant were very child friendly, kids even got drawing pack at breakfast.
Leisure Centre was one of the best we have seen. The milk and cookies at bedtime was the perfect end to the day. We have just left but the kids are asking when we can go back, and we definitely will be back.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
TheMaryborough, Digital Marketing Executive at Maryborough Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Dear JIM_BEANY,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your recent family visit to The Maryborough. We’re delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and felt welcome from the start by our Reception team. We’re thrilled you were able to play crazy golf and hope you enjoyed our pet farm and gardens as well. Thank you also for your compliments regarding your experience in Bellini’s and of the Leisure Club facilities. Again, thank you for your review and recommendation, and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Kristin L