“kip”
Review of Ashley Hotel

Ashley Hotel
Ranked #23 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Reviewed 9 October 2012

no hot water , dirty and damp and waste of money . would be better of as a cheap hostel rather than hotel. total kip. throw your money in the lee rather than wasting it in this filthy unfriendly place.

Room Tip: go some where else
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
7  Thank clairakerry
CorkAshley, General Manager at Ashley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2012

Dear Madam,

We are dissapointed with your comments that are unfounded.

There are newer reviews for Ashley Hotel

Reviewed 16 September 2012

I have been in the Ashley hotel for a month, the service provide for all the staff was really impressive! The manager of the Hotel, Anita and her staff were very helpful going to the extra mile in each opportunity that they have to help you. I really feel like in home, the room was huge and the bathroom was enormous! The room has nice amenities, and the housekeeping service was excellent. I really recommend this hotel for everyone, also is really close to the city centre (2 minutes walk) and it has a really nice price. Was a perfect stay, quiet and very comfortable also the menu in the restaurant was very good! and you can have a really nice meal for a good price.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 July 2012

My daughter and I stayed here at the beginning and end of a bicycle trip around Ireland. They stored our bicycle boxes, helped us arrange a nights stay while on our tour, and could not have been more helpful with anything we needed. You don't find this level of treatment in many places but the entire staff went out of their way while we were there. Reading reviews...no...the rooms are not five star but its clean, well run and close to everything in Cork...if you need more than that, consider staying home.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Jeff K
CorkAshley, Manager at Ashley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2013

Thank you for your compliments and I am delighted you enjoyed your stay

Reviewed 3 July 2012

After reading a negative comment, I was hesistant to continue with my booking-but I did and I was so glad. An excellent stay-I don't know why people are so nasty with their unnecessary comments. A great stay and I will be back.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sarah C

Thank you for your kind review I alsways appreciate a customers feed back.

Reviewed 24 June 2012

First of all, I just want to put it out there that I'm not normally much of a complainer. I've only walked out on a movie once or twice in my life, I don't send food back at a restaurant unless it's not what I ordered or really unacceptable, and over the years I've stayed at everything from hostels to 5 star hotels with very few complaints at either end of the spectrum. I'm generally an easy to please person who doesn't ask for much and only really cares that my hotel be clean, comfortable, and safe. I was booked in Cork for a DJ gig and, at the time, was not aware of the Aircoach busses running late night between St Patrick's Quay and Dublin, so I needed a place to stay for a night. Apparently, a festival was on in Cork and many of the sorts of places I would reserve for the night were either booked up or unusually expensive, so it didn't seem worthwhile to spend over 100 Euro for a room I just needed for one night, that I wouldn't even be in for most of the time. Enter the Ashley. At 60 Euro, the price was right and the photos looked half decent. While the high number of negative reviews did give me a lot of pause, I figured it was only just for one night so it couldn't be too bad. Unfortunately, the negative reviews seemed to have a lot of truth to them and I ended up not being so keen on staying.

First of all, while I wasn't exactly impressed, there *are* some high points to this hotel. All of the staff I encountered were friendly and helpful, which is always very much appreciated. The location is also quite good, being just around the corner from St. Patrick's street and the heart of Cork. While the area immediately outside the hotel seemed a little bit seedy, I didn't feel unsafe there and you're at a very good spot to get almost anywhere else in the city. Plus, these days it's pretty difficult to find a centrally located city hotel for as low of a price.

However, prime location and a generally decent staff weren't enough to salvage the rest of the hotel and even for one night, I don't think it's really worth the money.

The entire place (reception, hallways, and even my room) had a noticeable musty smell. And while it wasn't foul, it wasn't fresh either... like the whole place could use a really good scrub down and, quite frankly, some serious renovation. The hallways are stale, poorly lit, and generally feel a bit claustrophobic. Finding the actual door to my room proved to be a challenge as well, what with a large bookcase right next to the doorway. The rooms themselves are in serious need of an upgrade as well. I'm not normally one to care excessively about decor, but it really doesn't look like things have been touched since at least the 60s. Though clean, the carpet looked old and dingy. Uncomfortable bed with worn looking sheets. I could have dealt with that until I noticed that the mattress was covered in a very dirty looking plastic sheet. Not exactly inviting me to crawl into bed and relax. Bathroom was mostly ok, but I couldn't get any hot water out of the tap, even when following the instructions on the posted sign that I should let the hot water run from the bathtub to do so (and I did for several minutes). Found it a bit unsettling, however, that the side panel of the bathtub was loose and wobbled around if I pushed it with my foot. The free wireless internet that was advertised (and was one of the factors that led me to giving the place a chance) did not work at all and the one time I was actually able to connect to it, the connection was so slow and weak that is was impossible to load anything, even simple emails. Can't speak for the quality of either the breakfast or the bar, as I didn't eat or drink anything.

The other thing that really didn't sit right with me was having to leave your key at the desk every single time you go out. Not only does this system seem a bit archaic (I've encountered it maybe once, and not in over 15 years), it didn't leave me feeling too secure about my belongings, even if nothing of value was in my room. I realize that at any hotel, staff such as housekeeping, management, maintenance, etc have ways to access your room, even without you being there, but I suppose it was the idea of not having a way back in myself that I didn't care for. I also wasn't a huge fan of the night porter system after 11pm. The porter himself was perfectly nice, and while I didn't mind ringing to be let back in (I've had to do this at other hotels before, including some 4 star ones, even if many have switched to an entry system based on your key card), I was less enthralled with the idea that I also needed the night porter in order to let me out of the building again. Left me feeling like I couldn't come and go as I please, at least not easily and privately, and I didn't really care for that.

At the end of it all, I didn't end up staying the night. At my gig that night, a colleague informed me that Aircoach was now operating late night bus services between Cork and Dublin City Centre. While it was a tough decision between toughing it out for one night at the Ashley or just eating the cost of the room and returning to Dublin on the 3am coach, I'm glad I chose the latter. And when I made a quick stop back at the hotel to grab my things, I knew I made the right decision. The hallway my room was on must have had quite drunk people staying in the other rooms as things were very noisy and I heard a constant stream of doors slamming from people going in and out. I wouldn't have gotten much sleep anyway, even if I tried. And after a nap on the quiet and generally peaceful bus and crawling into the clean, comfortable bed waiting for me back in Dublin, it was worth losing the 60 euro to bail out of the Ashley early.

There's potential that with some serious renovation and freshening up of the rooms, it could be a pretty decent place to stay. Otherwise, it's probably fine for lads nights and drunken lost weekends where no one really cares about the space as long as there's somewhere to pass out, but I definitely wouldn't bring my family, friends, or partner here. Nor would I book again for myself.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank armyofroses
Management response:Responded 25 June 2012

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your review. We have been renovating over the last few months and perhaps this is the paint odour that you got at the end of your corridor and thank you for bringing it to our attention but we will make sure to leave another window open while the renovations are being carried out. We hope to have this phase completed by the end of the July. Mattress protectors unfortunately are essential for hygiene purposes. Additional new fire doors with closers have just been fitted on the corridors during our renovations and we will attend to this door banging immediately. On the bed there is a welcome card asking you to bring any shortcomings to our attention immediately and we are sorry that you choose not give us a chance to rectify your findings inorder for you, to have a better stay.

Reviewed 15 June 2012

This hotel would need a good makeover, very shabby. Bed very uncomfortable. Car park is tiny with parking for about six to seven cars and even at that, two of them were in front of a fire exit which should have been kept clear at all times. The location was excellent and breakfast very nice.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cat447
CorkAshley, General Manager at Ashley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2012

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your review. I would like to clarify the points you brought to our attention.
We put a lot of effort regularly in renovating our hotel and that can be visible from the moment you enter. We have many happy customers returning every year to stay at The Ashley Hotel and they are always pleased to see the changes made. It is our aim to provide the customers with the best experiences.
Our car park space is of a limited availability however The Ashley Hotel provides it as one of the very few hotels in Cork City and it is free of charge. We are glad you had an enjoyable weekend and that the hotel made it for you.
We hope to see you again at The Ashley Hotel in the future when you visit Cork City centre. Please join us on Facebook for special offers.

Reviewed 8 June 2012

Two years ago on our visit to Cork we stayed at the Ashely Hotel and were extremely pleased with the rooms, service, price, staff and management. This historic hotel is blessed with a perfect location from which to visit all the highlights of the city, and it was great to see some of the changes that have been made since our last visit. The secret of this establishment is the personality of the owner. Nothing is too much trouble and I was grateful for the kindness and extras provided which were "beyond the call of duty". A great asset to Cork City.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback. We are always happy to serve the best quality at good value. We are delighted to hear that you were pleased with the changes we had made at The Ashley Hotel and we always look forward to your future revisiting.