“beware taxi transfers here”

Travelodge Cork Airport
Ranked #21 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Taxi (organised by hotel manager) cost 14 euro each way from the airport 2 miles away. The receptionist had estimated 7 euro.
But cleanliness is fine and diner good. Room was too hot at night. Bedding OK _ in line with expectations.

Room Tip: Go for upstairs to allow window to be kept open
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Mervyn_Boyle, Manager at Travelodge Cork Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear Robin L

I am most disappointed to read your review, particularly as it was myself that arranged the Taxi Transfer for you.

On reading your review I immediately set about looking into the circumstances of your charges and on my conclusion I emailed you directly (using the email you made contact with me). I was hoping on foot of your reply to follow up on any other information you may have or indeed to provide you with an opportunity to dispute the information gathered during my investigation. As it has been over a week since my communication without reply I felt it appropriate to reply to your review directly.

Firstly, Travelodge Cork uses one Taxi firm for all our guests. This company is fully registered and licenced as required by the Taxi Regulator. This company has been with our hotel since 2006 and services many other surrounding hotels also, in this time we have found this company very reliable, courteous and competitive.

While I have been with Travelodge Cork, I have anecdotal evidence of individual taxi operators overcharging tourists / visitors who visit our city. In recent times, I have experienced some of these individuals attempting to attract fares on our property and quoting guests exorbitant prices. I suspect that this would not be uncommon to Cork in general or indeed any city you can think of.

It is for these reasons outlined that I recommended and booked this taxi company on your behalf.

In respect of the fare charged for the Taxi. I spoke with the owner of the firm in relation to this and he confirmed that the charge from the Airport was indeed €14.00 but has stated that the driver recorded a return fare of €11.30 which may have been rounded down to €11.00 as would be common practice.

On being informed of this I cross checked the charges with the *Transport for Ireland website to ascertain what the charge would be. I understand that the charges are calculated on a straight line point to point distance i.e. it does not allow for bends and on the basis of this I got the following breakdown –

From the Airport
Two People, Premium Rate Time (10:20pm) and Pre Booked *€12.20-€14.40. The driver also waited 18 minutes for your fare as you had just flown in and needed time to get through baggage handling, customs etc.. which on the basis of the estimated fare charge was not reflected.

To the Airport
Two People, Non Premium Rate and Pre Booked *€10.80-€12.80. According to the driver the rate charged was €11.30.

On asking at reception about the taxi fare you were quoted an estimated €7.00. On the same website a single fare, off peak is estimated at €7.80-€9.80. Our team member should have provided a better representative price rather than the lower end of the scale.
I apologise sincerely for this and on foot of your review we have in conjunction with the taxi operator to post the charges and extras at our reception. This will in future provide a clear and transparent understanding of what the charges will be to the main parts of Cork including the Airport.

Again, if there is any further information that I have not addressed in this reply, please do not hesitate to contact me at any stage.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Room were large, location is good when you have to go to he aiport, and we had a nice welcome.
There was work in the hotel, with painting smelling, and this was a bit annoying.
Inside the room, it was not super clean.
The wifi was just free in the lobby, not in the room.
This is a good stop for one night if you need to take the plane early or arriving late.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Mervyn_Boyle, Manager at Travelodge Cork Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Dear ioio81,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am disappointed that you found our hotel to be average.

I am sorry that the recent painting works affected your stay, despite our best efforts we tried to section corridors so that the odour of the paints would not affect any of our guests. This clearly did not happen and I sincerely apologise for this.

I note your comments regarding the rooms not being super clean and would be very interested in your feedback regarding this, I am very open to feedback and improving wherever possible.
(Please find my email address below).

Thanking you,

mervyn.boyle@travelodge.ie

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Stayed for one night on my grand tour of Ireland. Hotel was great and got it at a good price as most Travelodge hotels in Ireland. Only downfall was that it can be difficult to locate by car if you don't have a gps. Otherwise it was very well maintained.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Mervyn_Boyle, Manager at Travelodge Cork Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear Geomang,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are delighted that you had a great stay.

I completely take on board your comments regarding finding the hotel and will look at ways at making directions more readily available.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Spent one night recently in Travelodge Cork. There is plenty of free parking in the grounds, and there is a garage just across the road from the hotel, where you can get newspapers, magazines, sweets, and use the ATM if necessary. We got a good room on the 2nd floor to the back of the hotel (Room no. 22). It was very clean, and appeared to have been freshly decorated. Carpet, curtains and sofa bed all appeared new too. The hotel is not near the city, and you would need to either drive or take a taxi or bus if you wish to get there. Staff at reception can give you information about local transport services. The hotel is however within walking distance (10-15 minutes) of Turners Cross (for those interested in attending soccer matches). We dined in Rockin’ Joes, which is on the premises and is the subject of a separate review. We had a comfortable, undisturbed night’s sleep, and refreshing shower to help start our day next morning. Many people complain about Travelodge, but they don’t promise frills, so you know what to expect. We have stayed in a few of their hotels, both in Ireland in the UK, but the one in Cork is definitely one of the best, very clean and comfortable, and staffed at the front desk by people who are actually friendly and genuinely interested in their guests (in particular Shaun, who is a local lad, and who checked us in and out promptly and courteously). This hotel is in an ideal spot for access to the motorway to get wherever you want to go, and we would have no problem staying here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel to ensure that you are not disturbed by traffic at the busy...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear DubTwosome,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed and nice review.

We are absolutely delighted that you would rate our hotel as one of the best Travelodge hotels in which you have stayed. I will be sure to convey this and all the other positive comments to our team in Cork.

Shaun will be delighted that you have recognised him in particular and I will be sure to show him your kind words.

Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

We found the hotel staff, especially at front desk, very welcoming. The hotel is comfortable, with clean rooms and decent showers. Convenient location for Turners Cross! Lots of parking. Great value. We'll be back. Again!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Andrea,

Thank you for your kind review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the team very welcoming.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon, perhaps for another visit to Turners Cross for a favourable result!

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Got this hotel for 4 nights for 2 adults and 2 children for an unbelievable good rate. Staff were pleasant and helpful. Room was very basic but clean. Charge for wifi. Short drive into Cork city. By a busy duel carriageway.

Dear Marie,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel, its very much appreciated.

I am delighted that you found our hotel rates to be great value, you are always guaranteed great value rates when booking directly through our website.

We very much look forward to welcoming you again soon if you are ever in the area.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

It's a basic hotel htat offers alot for your money, Very friendly staff. Rooms need a bit of extra care, beds were clean and comfy but floor and sofa needed to be hovered.
Food place next door offered nice food.
If you just want somewhere to put your head down you wont get much better.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge
Mervyn_Boyle, Manager at Travelodge Cork Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear Kirk M,

Thank you for your kind review, its very much appreciated.

We will certainly look into the issue that you had with the floor and sofa but other than that I am glad you had a very nice stay. The team will be delighted that they got a mention for their friendliness so I'll be sure to convey that to them.

I look forward to seeing you next time you are in Cork!

Mervyn