“Great Central Location, Good Value for Money”

Killarney Guest House
Ranked #36 of 59 Cork B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We've Stayed here Twice now and this Small(ish) and very Friendly Guest House is in a Fantastic Location only a 10min walk from the Centre of Cork. Rooms are Clean and Comfortable and the Staff are Extremely Friendly and Helpful. If you want a Central Location and Good Value For Money then this is the Hotel for You.

• Stayed: July 2014

Reviewed 15 July 2014

We arrived at Killarney guest house a month earlier than booked, because I had made a mistake in the booking (I entered August instead of July...). Hotel was full, but the staff was so kind to phone several other B&B's in the neighbourhood, and found us another place to stay for the first night, without charges for telephone costs. The next day, we could stay at Killarney. We had no complaint at all about the first B&B, but were positively surprised at Killarney: friendly and smiling staff that made us feel really welcome, an excellent breakfast and a spacious, comfortable room. This is my first trip to Ireland and people told me that the Irish are kind. We experienced real concern and true kindness at Killarney!

Room Tip: room at front offers nice view on University college of Cork, room at rear is quieter
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 July 2014

My friend and stayed for one night over a weekend. Booked it as I knew from my time in Cork, that it was an ideal base to the city centre. It's only a short 10-15 min to the main shopping area.
We were given a double bedroom apartment which is located close to the b&b. It was a lovely surprise as it was spacious and weren't expecting it.
My friend and I really couldn't fault it. If it's clean, reasonably priced, centrally located accommodation you're looking for, this is perfect.
The lady of the house was extremely kind and friendly to my friend and I, good service is never gone unnoticed.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I am seriously wondering if my husband and I stayed in the same facility that is being reviewed so positively on here. We will NEVER go back to the Guest House and would NEVER recommend it to anyone traveling to Cork City. We stopped here for 2 nights in the middle of our honeymoon tour of Ireland and I immediately wanted to leave. We had to lug our suitcases up a ton of stairs and no one offered to help us. Our room was TINY, smelled like mold and the window didn't have a screen which meant that birds were on the verge of flying in and out all night. There was no AC and the room made us sneeze all night long. The bathroom was even smaller. The toilet seat was broken so I immediately slid right off of it. The lady downstairs had the toilet repaired while we were away but it seemed so surprising that housekeeping wouldn't have noticed it wasn't attached? Do they even clean the toilet? The shower was so small you couldn't even turn around to rinse out your hair. I didn't shower the second morning there and decided to wait until our next hotel because it felt so dirty. The tile needs to be cleaned and I would recommend wearing your flip flops in the shower if you have the unfortunate experience of needing to stay here.

The bed was ridiculously uncomfortable and the outside street was SO noisy (again, no air to muffle the sound so we kept the bathroom fan and light on all night, awful). The breakfast was sub-par, do not pay the money. If you order the "full Irish" expect a plate of liquid under your bacon (was it grease? water? We'll never know). The "scrambled eggs" was a round ball of flavorless juice that was practically inedible. When we checked out we couldn't wait to leave. I sure hope we didn't bring any bedbugs home with us. This was absolutely the low point of our trip (don't forget this was our honeymoon!) and we'll never go back.

Room Tip: Our room was terrible so I'm not sure if there were any better options.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ashley G
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

Expensive, breakfast cost extra, poor WiFi and slow payment checkout.

Also, jacuzzi wasn't working. For the high price, you would expect that it would work.

I would find a cheaper place which offers better value instead of staying here again.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 July 2014

The guest house is value for money, 5 mins walk into the city,The patron of the house is a true Lady of the manor and I have not had a nicer breakfast on my travels around Ireland.Parking is limited but local parking nearby.Quality and value for the experience

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Stayed in this guesthouse due to location . Bed was comfortable and bedding was clean. Room had nice high ceilings. En suite ionly had flimsy accordian style door so not great privacy. yale lock on bedroom door did not have its snib working so anyone with a key to it could have come in during night. I will not be going back.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family