“Ok, not great”

Ambassador Hotel & Health Club Cork
Ranked #14 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Reviewed 11 October 2013

My husband and I stayed here two nights. The staff if very friendly and helpful, but the rest of the hotel is pretty creepy. The "gym" is abandoned and really weird. The hotel is also on a huge hill in a somewhat sketchy neighborhood. We enjoyed the people and our visit, but we will definitely never forget this hotel!

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Chris C, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel & Health Club Cork, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2013

Dear reviewer,

Thank you kindly for posting a review of the Ambassador Hotel Cork, following your recent visit. Thank you for your kind comments of our staff. I was a little disheartening to read some of your comments, however I do respect them. I just wanted to reassure you, and other readers of this review, that St. Lukes is a very nice historical area of Cork. Thankfully our plans include a revamp of our fitness room. So should you return again, I am confident you will see an improvement.

There are newer reviews for Ambassador Hotel & Health Club Cork

Reviewed 9 October 2013

Had a one night stay which we booked online and found it was great value for 50 euro bed only. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the breakfast was simple but tasty. The hotel and room were very clean, but yes the decor is old (nothing broken or shabby) and signs of damp but no smell. If the hotel was refurbished I am sure it would be twice as expensive. The location was fairly central, we walked down to the center in about 10 minutes and the taxi back to the hotel only cost 6 euro. If you are looking for large rooms that are clean and friendly staff for a great value price then this is your hotel. Lots of free parking and the location means it does not get too noisy.

Room Tip: 216 room at front - great views from outside balcony.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear reviewer,

Thank you kindly for posting a review of the Ambassador Hotel Cork, following your recent visit. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay. We are working on all décor issues currently on site, I will be sure not to double the prices of the rooms though. We always strive to give our customers value for money here at the hotel. And will continue to do so going forward with our plans. Thank you for recommending our hotel, and I hope you will return soon.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

The decor suited the building but some bits need a touch up. The bedroom was very spacious even though it was a bit of a walk to get to it. The first thing I always check is the bathroom and this one was very big and very clean, I was impressed. We only had a snack to eat but it was nice and the staff were very friendly and helpful. There was a wedding there but it did not impact on us in anyway as the place is so big it could cater for the crowd. Would go back again

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Dear reviewer,

Thank you kindly for posting a review of the Ambassador Hotel Cork, following your recent visit. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay; I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. We are currently working hard on the Décor issues we have, so I am confident you will see an improvement.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 4 October 2013

Stayed 3 nights Oct, 57euro a night through booking.com (breakfast extra)
Yes, it is a bit dated, but very clean, big rooms, great breakfast, signs of damp here and there, excellent staff, night porter a delight, one receptionist with a little attitude, but all in all excellent, would stay again without doubt.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear reviewer,

Thank you kindly for posting a review of the Ambassador Hotel Cork, following your recent visit. I appreciate your comments, which are fair and balanced. I really appreciate this forum for guests to comment, as it also gives us a right to reply. On the whole guests’ feedback is used for us to improve on our standards, and strive to achieve a high quality experience. Unfortunately this hotel has gone through a tough 18 months, being in receivership. Décor and other issues raised were not top of the agenda for our stakeholders. Thankfully the hotel has now been purchased and improvements are under way to bring this hotel to a standard worthy of high praise such as yours.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future

Reviewed 4 October 2013

Booking inn was quick.
Large car park
Sat nav found it very easily
Hotel is clean
Staff friendly
Rooms are large and if honest slightly cold as too big, couldn't get warm from the one radiator which I couldn't even get on. Television is small and as the bed is so far away you need magnifying glass's to see the screen.
The expense of the upkeep on these old Victorian hotels must be immense but it does need a little bit of a re vamp in the bedrooms.
There is no wifi as advertised unless you sit in the lobby area opposite the receptionist.
Restaurant was good and breakfast was plentiful.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Dear reviewer,

Thank you kindly for posting a review of the Ambassador Hotel Cork, following your recent visit. Your fair are balanced comments are well received. Some of the issues you raised are high on our agenda of a plan with the new owners of the hotel, to rectify is soon as possible.
I trust if you visit Cork again, you would give our hotel a call, and I am confident you will see some nice improvements to the quality of your stay.

Reviewed 2 October 2013

We booked in for a night as wanted to visit Cork city. We stayed in a room on the 3rd floor overlooking the city, which would have been great were it not for the rain and wind.
Overall the room and rest of hotel was very dated (reminded me of either the hotel in The Shining or an old peoples home!).
Saying that though it was clean and the room was only about €50 as part of a deal so you can't complain.
We didn't eat there so I can't comment on breakfast etc

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Dear reviewer,

Thank you kindly for posting a review of the Ambassador Hotel Cork, following your recent visit. I am glad you feel you got value for money on this visit. I would hope you would visit us again in the near future. Should you return, I am sure you would be pleasantly surprised with the works we are doing to enhance the guest experience.

Reviewed 30 September 2013

I'd say climbing the hill to get to this hotel would be knackering only for someone who was unfit. I was in McCurtain street in ten minutes, and maybe 12 going back.

The Ambassador has for sure seen better days. There was evidence of damp or perhaps a leak in my room, with wallpaper peeling away, and a hole under the light switch. The curtains didn't close well either as they'd come away from the rail and that affected how well I slept.

But it has character, and at 60 Euros a night for a double, this is under many B and Bs in Cork city. The staff were helpful and pleasant, the room was large and the bathroom clean and with a bath and lovely hot water. The bed was comfortable parking is also useful. and the stairs and corridors pleasantly decorated.

I didn't try the food or the bar. And WiFi is available only in reception and the bar, not in the room, which also had limited TV choices (if such things are important to anyone).

Room Tip: I think there's an annex at the back, maybe not as characterful as the main building ...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo

Dear reviewer,

Thank you kindly for posting a review of the Ambassador Hotel Cork, following your recent visit. It is a fair comment to say the hotel has seen better days. Thankfully with the support of new owners, all the issues you raised are currently being worked on. In the very near future we also hope to have full Wi-Fi access to all areas of the hotel for our guests to enjoy. I am certain should you return to us for another visit, you will be pleasantly surprised at the work we are doing to enhance our guests’ experiences.