“short visit”

Ranked #14 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Bangor, United Kingdom
“short visit”
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We stayed in the Ambassador Hotel the weekend of the 19th - 22nd October. The hotel looks lovely from the otside and is reasonably handy although up quite a sleep hill. On arrival, Martha the very helpful receptionist allocated a lovely room at the front of the hotel with a balcony. We enjoyed our stay and it is a lovely quiet hotel in a residential neighbourhood. The staff are more than helpful and lovely clean hotel. The only complaint we would have is the breakfasts. We paid for the cooked breakfast option but unfortunatley my partner who had the full breakfast wasn't happy with the quality of the produce and the scrambled egg the first morning and poacked eggs the second were not that appetising. I had bacon and sausage and on the third morning the breakfast was stone cold. I ate a bit of it and was unwell the remainder of the day. The staff in the dining room were hard to communicate with and no-one asked us once if our meal was satisfactory. The duty manager on the Tuesday morning asked if our syat was satisfactory and I advised him of the issue. He said that he was sorry and someone would be in touch with me.... I'm still waiting. Pity as it is a nice spot however it does need a little TLC and smartening up.

Room Tip: Try and get a room at the front for a view.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mary Jo M
Chris C, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel & Health Club Cork, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your review of the Ambassador Hotel Cork, following your recent visit with us. I thank you for your positive comments of our hotel, and I would like to assure you the TLC you mention, is underway as part of the plan we have in place at the hotel.
I am concerned with the comments you made in relation to the breakfast, more so because on 3 separate mornings you were left feeling dissatisfied. I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you in relation to this. If you would kindly make contact with me, i would be more than happy to discuss this with you.

+353 (21) 4539000

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Courtmacsherry, Ireland
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Well it seems like such a long time ago that we met with Rhona at the hotel to discuss our forthcoming nuptials and now it's all over. We are agreed on one thing that if we were to do it all again that not one thing would we change.
Right from the outset we knew that the Ambassador would be right . nothing was a problem and everything was approached in a relaxed and professional manner which immediately put us at ease- ok we knew it's wasn't a swish new 5 star but that was not whant we wanted . We got old world charm and elegance , amazing food and unbelievable service. Not one guest left disappointed and gosh I'd love to do it all over again.
Oh and not to mention the rooms - all fantastic. Spotless, Ginormous, and really comfortable - and the breakfast - cooked to order and beautifully presented .
So thanks to you all for making us and all our guests feel so special. It will be talked about for some time to come.... thanks Rhona and all the team.

Room Tip: Rooms on front are totally fab
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank 911richy
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your review of the Ambassador Hotel Cork, following your recent visit with us. Firstly Congratulations to you both on Wedding, I am absolutely delighted we were able to deliver on all promises made to you, and the fact that you would do it all over again with us, is an amazing endorsement.
I will be sure to thank Rhona and the team on your behalf.

We look forward to welcoming you back for your anniversary.

Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 24 October 2013

To be fair, I have to put this review in to balance another 5-star one that I have written. I stand by that original review fully but this was a different type of stay.

We stayed here in September having been here a year before. The previous stay was our wedding and we could not have had a better day. However, we returned as a couple on a normal, dare I say, quiet weekend and perceptions were somewhat different. I have to point out at this stage that the hotel has been trading under difficult circumstances for more than a year after financial issues with a parent company that had a knock-on effect on the hotel. The hotel had been taken over by a new owner just days before we stayed so I expect that the issues raised here will be tackled by the diligent management who had already been keen to begin works on the hotel before any of the financial issues began.

Firstly, with the gym, sauna and hot tub currently closed due to the on-going capital needed to keep them going properly, I would not currently rate the Ambassador as a 4-star hotel although I know it has the staff, base and the potential to again be worthy of such a rating

Work is needed in many areas such as windows not opening/closing properly, replacement of old (but functioning) CRT TVs in some rooms, floor tiles near the mini-bar near the bistro area and other bits and bobs in corners and behind curtains. It's an old (but solid) building and eventually these things need to be tackled - it was just unfortunate timing that circumstances prevented them being tackled in time.

Other things to note - smell of stale smoke in our room, which I believe was supposed to be non-smoking. The main residents bar was closed so drinks were in the bistro/cafe area, which isn't as cosy, and the selection of draught beers is greatly reduced here. The Guinness was also not great - probably simply due to a lack of flow. The arrival of the night porter, the absolute legend that is Don, brightened things up before we went to bed though.

Food was good - we had both dinner and breakfast here. No complaints there although I'd love them to do something more with this dining area as we always feel that it's not fulfilling its potential in some way.

I'm sure staff are all too aware of the issues and I know that management are always keen to please so I'm positive that recent developments with a new buyer of the hotel will provide the much-needed investment that the hotel now requires to restore itself to former glories. I would still recommend it as a wedding venue because of the value that they offer and the fact that that day brings an atmosphere of its own with it and would be totally different to the night that we were there. This stay was in fact paid for by the hotel as part of our wedding package and it was a lovely thing to have to look forward to for our anniversary. I'd almost prefer not to write this review but I do use TripAdvisor an awful lot as a resource whenever I am travelling and I appreciate honest, balanced and fair reviews. OK, so everything wasn't as great as it had been the year before but the food was good, staff were helpful and view of Cork from the room was amazing (even better than it had been from the bridal suite). It's still a solid 3-star hotel choice that just needs a little work. It still offers great views with free parking in a quiet neighbourhood just a short walk from the city centre. I had to laugh while reading one recent review that said this hotel was in a sketchy neighbourhood - far from it, I'd say there were other parts of Cork city that this person would have been truly horrified by :) I would also point out that it is on a hill so if you are very unfit, very lazy, are in some way mobility-restricted and are unwilling to pay for a taxi then perhaps look for somewhere closer to sea-level. Everyone else can be rewarded by the great views of the city.

We look forward to returning again in the future. I know that the manager, Chris, and the rest of the team will be working to make the most of the opportunities that the new owner brings and it is with much goodwill that I wish them the very best in their work. We can't wait to enjoy the fruits of their efforts and to see the Ambassador back to where it belongs.

Room Tip: Ask for one at front of hotel - the higher up, the better the view
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your review of the Ambassador Hotel Cork, following your recent visit with us. Firstly Congratulations to you both on celebrating 1 year of marriage, I wish you many happy more.
I thank you for your honest and fair feedback. I appreciate you making readers of your review, the issues that this hotel faced last year, and I am grateful, you have the belief that as a team we have the potential to get it right again. I have to say also the arrival of new owners has been a breath of fresh air to the hotel. Work is well under way to ensure all experiences in this hotel are of a four star quality.
I trust if you return in the near future, you will see positive improvements, which will have addressed all the issues you encountered.

I thank you again for your feedback,

Peterborough
Reviewed 19 October 2013

The only redeeming feature of this ghastly hotel is Don the night porter.

Don't be fooled by the online photos shown on the hotel and booking agent websites. Room allocation is a lottery and reception staff seem completely disinterested in guest requests and feedback. Several of our friends - also having booked 'standard' rooms - were given large rooms with huge bathrooms etc. whilst we were allocated a small smoking room with a tiny 'cupboard sized' shower room a long and convoluted trek away from the reception and bar area (apparently this was the only other room available in the whole hotel after we had requested an alternative to the first substandard cell (literally!) we were allocated). The room curtains did not close properly, there were stains on the carpet and walls and no hot water in the morning. Our room key failed to work two nights running when we returned to the hotel - the snooty receptionist was unapologetic and terseley suggested to us not to keep it near a mobile phone in future (which we hadn't done anyway). On the second night reception staff had gone, so the lovely night porter, Don, (who appeared to be the only hepful and interested member of staff in the place) let us into our room - thank goodness.

Staying at this hotel was a big mistake and it soured an otherwise extremely enjoyable visit to Cork. We would not stay here again even if they paid us to!

Room Tip: If you really have to stay here make sure they don't give you room 305 (the first room we were a...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Chris C, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel & Health Club Cork, responded to this review, 20 October 2013
Dear reviwer,

Thank you for posting your feedback following your recent visit to our hotel. It is obviously a disappointing read for me. I was on duty when you came to reception the morning when you had no hot water. I assured you at the time I would tend to it immediately, which I did and rectified. I would hope you can trust the customer service ethos we have is to listen to our guests and react to any issues that may arise in order to make it as comfortable a stay as possible. If I had gotten the impression from you that you were that dissatisfied with your stay, I assure you I would have spent the rest of your stay trying to redeem ourselves.

I would ask you kindly to contact me directly, as to discuss the rest of your stay.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 14 October 2013

we were a bit shocked when we walked in to this hotel. it was probably an expensive spot many years ago but everything is old now and in bad need of a refurbishment. seemingly, they have a new owner now and maybe some money will be spent on it. until then, expect frayed curtains, badly worn and stained carpets and marked and chipped walls. If this does not bother you, then go for it as the price probably reflects the condition. However, i paid more that i should. Breakfast was nice enough.

Room Tip: I think there is a wing which has been refurbished recently enough. go for one of them as they are...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Chris C, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel & Health Club Cork, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
Dear reviewer,

Thank you kindly for posting a review of the Ambassador Hotel Cork, following your recent visit. It was disappointing to read your comments, mostly because they are fair comments. The hotel thankfully has just recently been purchased, and our new owners share the same passion to bring each and every bedroom in this hotel up to a standard expected for a four star property as we do. We have identified all areas that need work, and moved swiftly to rectify them. I am sure if you returned you would see an improvement.

I would ask that the next time you are planning a visit to Cork, you would offer us another chance to show you how we have listened to our guests.
I would personally like to take care of your booking.

Thank you again for your fair and balanced feedback,

Sydney
Reviewed 11 October 2013

The name says something about the nature of the place. It was a grand hotel. Our room was lovely, overlooking the city. A small balcony gave us an even better glimpse. We were late in and stayed in for dinner which was probably a mistake, thankfully breakfast was better.

Room Tip: Overlooking the city was lovely - although the next morning the fog was so heavy we couldn't see...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Dear reviewer,

Thank you kindly for posting a review of the Ambassador Hotel Cork, following your recent visit. I am glad you enjoyed your stay, and the room you were allocated. I would be interested in a little more feedback as to why you felt dining in was a mistake.
More detailed comments on this would be greatly appreciated.

Stillwater, Minnesota
Reviewed 11 October 2013

My husband and I stayed here two nights. The staff if very friendly and helpful, but the rest of the hotel is pretty creepy. The "gym" is abandoned and really weird. The hotel is also on a huge hill in a somewhat sketchy neighborhood. We enjoyed the people and our visit, but we will definitely never forget this hotel!

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear reviewer,

Thank you kindly for posting a review of the Ambassador Hotel Cork, following your recent visit. Thank you for your kind comments of our staff. I was a little disheartening to read some of your comments, however I do respect them. I just wanted to reassure you, and other readers of this review, that St. Lukes is a very nice historical area of Cork. Thankfully our plans include a revamp of our fitness room. So should you return again, I am confident you will see an improvement.