“nice spot.”

Ranked #15 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Drogheda, Ireland
“nice spot.”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Stayed here for two nights. Hotel is very clean and room was very large. Staff were very helpful. Its only a 10 minute walk to the main bars restaurants in Cork city. Food was nice and bar was comfortable although they did'nt have my lager on tap.Would recommend this hotel and will stay here again although the heating could be turned off a bit earlier. Also Don the porter is a legend!

Ken. Drogheda.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KenMat2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Had my daughters confirmation meal there and have to say it was absolutely beautiful, they catered for both kids and adults. The staff were great especially the young man that looked after us no request was to big for him and he dealt with everything very efficiently.
We'll done ambassador!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Vivian O
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 30 March 2014

stayed here fri and sat !!very friendly welcome !! good spacious clean room very well kitted out !!only negatives for us ,was the shambles at breakfast !!we went for breakfast at 8 only three other tables were taken !!polite girl takes order as hot food not in buffet yet few mins later tells us its self service chef has arrived with food !! no probs !!then no breakfast plates !!girl goes off to kitchen !!still coffee and toast not arrived !3 staff on !!girl comes back stands in front of hot plate with the two other staff adjusting temp of hotplates for five mins !!start looking around for hidden cams !!coffee here still no toast !!people at tables exchanging glances and rolling eyes !!staff oblivious !!young guy stands behind hotfood doing absolutely nothing !!doesnt tell you whats under lids or offer to lift them !! think he is there in case sausages try to escape !! man beside us gets toast after he finishes his brekkie !!staff are young couldnt be too harsh on them !! but they lack training in the basics !!next morning went to taras tearooms for brekkie !!2 people served at least ten tables like clockwork !! can be done

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Drogheda, Ireland
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I'm writing this from bedroom of Ambassador, which, in fairness is fine. However overall experience hasn't been great. Primary concern at reception was to get my car reg, fairly understandable given pay parking location. I wasn't offered password for wifi (I didn't chase this as I had dongle). My room is up a lift, then along a long corridor, then up another lift. The building has an institutional look about it. This is supposed to be a 4* hotel but this is first time I've ever been locked out of a proper hotel at 12.30am and had to ring and ring to get in. The bar / restaurant area was dismal and I didn't hang around to experience its delights. I still have breakfast to look forward to (hope they don't read this before then).

Room Tip: Avoid room 238 which is directly across from lift with noisy mechanism, side view.
Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Stayed here last weekend - a number of bad points. Stressed out cranky receptionist, who snapped at customers and complained that she was worn out from being on duty since 7 o clock that morning (surely not the customers fault) Next she couldn't find any information about our reservation despite my friend discussing it with another staff member just 2 days previously. Our rooms were not ready on time, which should have been 2 o'clock. We couldn't check in until 3, We had some drinks in the bar while waiting - they were awful. The Guinness was warm and the Heineken was flat - they were left unfinished on the table. The corridors are like a maze and it was very hard to find our rooms especialy since the lifts were not working. The rooms are an alright standard but small. The breakfasts the next day were fine with the exception of the cold toast. My friends asked several times for butter but were ignored. The final insult was checking out took an age as my friend tried to explain that she had already paid a deposit, this straight forward tranaction appeared to stump the receptionist. This review is harsh, and compared to other favourable reviews I can't understand how they are for the same hotel. The hotel decor and location are lovely but our experience was not a good one - we would not return.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank helcau
Chris C, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel & Health Club Cork, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel following your recent visit with us. I would like to jump to the comment you made about this being harsh. I am a firm believer that people take the time to sit and review hotels based on their experience, and not for fun. So I don't find this harsh, I am disappointed that you were not in a position to review us with high praise.
I do wish I had the chance to discuss these issues during your stay. I am confident had we spoken whilst you were here you would have left with the impression that, maybe they didn't get it right on this occasion, but they care about their customers and their views.
To answer your comments on how you found the treatment of our team members. To me this is completely unacceptable behaviour for any guest to experience. And you are correct in saying this is not a typical experience of a guest when arriving or departing our hotel.

I would appreciate if you could contact me directly so I can discuss your stay, and give you the confidence to be in a position to firstly stay with us again, and hopefully warrant a more positive review.

I hope I will get the opportunity to talk with you.

Thank you again for your valued feedback.

Tel: +353(0)214539000
Riga
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

4 of us were staying there for a weekend Fri, Sat. 2 spotlessly clean rooms next to each other, overlooking Cork city, comfy beds, plenty of tea/coffee, towels. Very welcoming polish girl at reception, gave us all the info about best places to visit, restaurants, night clubs etc. Had a good sleep on Fri night. Only minus were breakfast on Sat morning, regardless of 4 staff members looking after about 10 guests, our hot food orders were all mixed up with other guest's orders, after we got our food delivered wrongly twice, we didn't bother to ask for a third time and just ate whatever was brought to our table. It looked like the girl taking the orders was just back from the night out - she had so much make-up on... but we forgot about our bad experience at breakfast pretty fast when lovely Hannah served us at lunch, absolutely great service. Sat night wasn't as quiet as night before, some drunken guys were shouting in the corridor at 2am and banging on our doors, but it didn't last very long , so we all managed to get back to sleep in no time.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank RigaBaby
Dear reviewer,

Thank you kindly for posting a review following your visit to Cork. Your review scores high for us, even though you did not have a complete four star experience. So I thank you for that. I have spoken to Alan Dunne our Operations Manager in relation to the restaurant service, he has spoken with all team members to ensure they are well presented for work each morning. I can understand how this could be off putting. There are no excuses for the mix ups of orders as our team are well trained in the service industry, so for this we apologise. I am delighted to hear Hannah turned a negative into a positive, I will be sure to thank her on your behalf.

I hope the positives of your stay outweigh our shortfalls in service, and will ensure when you need a Cork City hotel again, you will chose the Ambassador Hotel Cork as your destination.

Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

My cousin held her wedding reception at this hotel, we stayed for 3 nights as we're from the UK. Check in was quick and simple, room was easy to find and beautifully clean. Beds are so comfortable, lovely squishy pillows!
A full Irish breakfast was cooked to order every morning, and a continental buffet laid out to nibble on while you waited. The food was brilliant, so we ate here in the evenings too, I recommend the falafel, really delicious!
I honestly can't imagine another hotel being as accommodating as this one for weddings and parties, it was as if nothing was too much trouble, the suite for the reception was decorated beautifully, the staff were always on hand to top up everyone's wine glasses, and they didn't seem to mind us partying well into the night (thank goodness for soundproofing! You couldn't hear any of it in the room)
A nice walk after breakfast had you right in the city center, so it's not isolated, but if you just want to curl up with a drink in the bar of an evening it's a lovely quiet location with beautiful views.
Will absolutely stay here again when my other cousin gets married in August!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank SarahBear88
Dear reviewer,

Thank you kindly for such a positive review of the Ambassador Hotel following your recent stay with us. It is great to hear you had so many positive experiences during your stay. Our staff are truly our best asset. I will be sure to pass your kind words to each department.

We look forward to welcoming you back in August. If you would like to contact me directly, I will take personal care of your reservation.

Chris@ambassadorhotel.ie