“Brilliant place to stay”

Ambassador Hotel & Health Club Cork
Ranked #14 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Three of us stayed at this hotel a few days ago; our rooms were lovely and very spacious, staff were very professional and friendly, the food was great and the views over Cork as the sun set and moon rose were stunning. As the hotel is high above the city it was very quiet yet convenient to pop down into the centre of Cork. Also our rooms were very reasonably priced; we can't wait to go again.

Room Tip: May be good to ask about potential noise as others have had issues; we didn't.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Shirley M
There are newer reviews for Ambassador Hotel & Health Club Cork

Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

Nice revamp. Great views of Cork from rooms. McGettigans food is excellent. Top tip = Walk to town but get a taxi back! Those hills are steep bui. Handy enough stroll into town all the same. Nice staff.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank JohnnyL
Reviewed 19 June 2014

A group of us stayed at the ambassador hotel for my sisters hen on Sat 14th June.Rhona dealt with me for our group booking for our hen group over the last few months, she was a brilliant help. Overall I had a fab stay at this hotel and I would stay again. I found the hotel staff very helpful with our booking. Thanks again Rhona :) Michelle

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank MichelleCash
Reviewed 17 June 2014

It is several months since I stayed at the Ambassador and I am slow getting my reviews done. However, I feel that I must comment on how we found the Ambassador then. Firstly the reception staff were "Coolly efficient" rather than "effusively Irish". Like many large hotels there were many non Irish staff on reception and waiting. That said the ones we met were helpful with directions, calling taxis and local attractions. The meals which we took at the hotel were well cooked, well presented and tasty. The Guinness was cold and black. Our two rooms were monstrous with very large ensuites as well. Our room had a magnificent view over Cork and beyond. The only criticism I could levy was that the TV was a tiny old type which was too far away to see from the bed. Two giant double beds gave my brother and me loads of room. I expect reading the reviews that the televisions will have been upgraded and the remote controls will now work. Driving up from Wexford we had no difficulty finding the hotel, though traffic from the School Run at a nearby school made the approach somewhat difficuylt. The Ambassador is on a hill and the walk up from Cork centre is a steep one. That said eveyone in our party made it!. I had a very enjoyable stay in the Ambassador and look forward to seeing what they have done with it on my next visit.

Room Tip: Some rooms are a long walk and require two lifts and a map to get there
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 June 2014

An open letter to Chris Cowley

Ok, let me start by stating that this was our 1st stay at the hotel. When I booked I specifically requested a quiet room. When we arrived we found that were above the smoking area where drunken revellers congregated throughout the night and early morning getting louder and louder.
I approached the receptionist who I found rude and patronising when I told her about the noise. Her initial response was to tell me that I should expect this staying in a city hotel. She advised of other rooms that were available , all were unsuitable. She tried to match our problem within the price range of the room we had booked rather than deal with the problem itself. The duty manager tried to assist and was polite but I can't understand why he didn't take the receptionist to task, she carried herself like she was the manager, and a very poor one at that. We were told that the function would finish at midnight. At 2.00 a.m. the noise was only getting worse, I had not slept at all and my partner was woken by the screams of some woman laughing downstairs. I should add that we had no alternative other than to leave the window open as the heat was intolerable. At this stage we decided that enough was enough and rang the duty manager to say that we were leaving. It was only at this stage that he promised to disperse the crowd. Too late we left about 2.15a.m. tired but determined to drive back to Dublin so we could get some sleep.

There are numerous complaints about the same receptionist on this site and the management team have ignored them. There are complaints about the noise levels and the stuffiness of the rooms and management have ignored them. In the hotel manual, we found a customer review in the folder from May of this year, which gives an indication of the indifference that this hotel has shown to customer comments regarding the hotel.

I spoke with the manager, Gillian, this morning who was horrified by the fact that we felt we had no choice but to leave. There were guys arguing and fighting in the car park as we left. The staff had indicated to her that the behaviour on the hotel grounds were out of control. I have a friend living in Cork and he has assured me that the hotel is normally a good place to stay. However due to the downturn in the economy the hotel is taking on functions for 21st birthday parties, hen nights where maybe a few years ago they wouldn't have had to take these kind of bookings for obvious reasons. I am sure of the sincerity of Gillian's concern, as the hotel has offered to make things right for us.

However and this is the main point of this review, if the hotel is genuinely sincere in dealing with the issues raised by myself and others they need to take stock of the patterns in the negative reviews and deal with them accordingly. As for myself I am grateful that the hotel has offered to make things right for myself and my partner, but it remains to be seen whether they tackle the brunt of the problems that are outlined in this column. Chris Crowley has responded to people directly here and asked them to contact him directly. What have you done about this Chris? The problem I had mirrors the experience of a couple who stayed in September 2013 by Pam Hiran? Rather than ask people to contact you directly why can't you deal with the issues raised by reviewers that happen again and again. This is the 1st review I have ever had to write as normally a hotel deals with problems on the spot. Your hotel in my opinion were not interested in my concerns and have ended up trying to placate me after the fact at a cost to yourselves. Surely it makes business sense to resolve these matters.

Regards

Micheál H.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Micheál H
Chris C, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel & Health Club Cork, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2014

Dear reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit. I want to reassure you that I certainly take guest feedback very seriously, and as a management team we do sit and review all feedback received to use them as a measure of how we operate from a guests point of view. We do react to any of our shortcomings and put action into practice. This would be seen through our reviews. I don't want to comment on individual employees, and how we handle negative feedback against them, however this is taken as a serious matter. Unfortunately I am not in a position to call you directly at the moment, as I am on annual leave, I am confident the management team at the hotel have this in hand. I will be sure to pick this up with them on my return to the hotel at the end of this month. I will be sure to contact you directly, once I have discussed it with them.

Kind regards,

Chris Crowley

Reviewed 13 June 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights,we hired a car,it took us a little while to find it as it's tucked away on a hill,we took a wrong turn and had to go all round a one way system again! We found it eventually and were really pleased we were made to feel really welcome by the girl on the desk she was very informative about cork she recommended places to go and helped us with the toll payment.
We were on the top floor with an amazing view over cork,the room was lovely,it was clean very spacious,the only problem we had that weekend was the very heavy rain! If you choose this hotel you won't be disappointed it's an older hotel but very classy,staff very friendly,restaurant lovely and you can watch chefs cooking your food,bar staff lovely and never stood still! My husband and I had a lovely weekend break here and if we come back to ireland wouldn't hesitate in booking here,thank you ambassador.

Room Tip: Front of hotel over looking cork views.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anita C
Reviewed 13 June 2014

A very big thank you to Rhonda @ April who started our stay off will a very warm and cheerful welcome, rooms are 5 star, and a really big thank you to the Chef who catered for me being celiac.
This hotel should be a no 1 on anyone's list visiting Cork Ireland,

Room Tip: Taxi needed if you have trouble walking, but the taxi service is 5star
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends