“Fantastic customer service”

Ranked #15 of 23 Hotels in Cork
County Cork, Ireland
“Fantastic customer service”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel with my 4 sisters as a birthday treat for 2 of them. I booked a very cheap deal and wasn't expecting the level of service or the quality of the rooms and the food to be as good. I was more than pleasantly surprised!!
We ate in the restaurant as part of our deal and were allowed to choose either a main/desert/tea or coffee or a starter/main/tea or coffee from the al la carte menu which turned out to be superb. The lady at reception was happy to give us advise on where best to go 'down town' after our meal and the friendly night porter was more than happy to serve us a late drink when we returned much later.
It was pouring rain when we were leaving and a lovely gentleman called Chris ran back and forth with us to our cars holding an umbrella to keep us dry. A total gent!
My only complaint is that the food service was slow. They were extremely busy however and the staff were very apologetic.
Overall the experience was fantastic and we all agreed we would definitely go back.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank FionaJer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Booked this on Booking.com a few weeks before the Irish Open Golf and got a rate that was much better than any other four star hotel in Cork for what was a busy weekend in the city. So I thought there must be a catch. There wasn't. This was a very comfortable four night stay in a big room with proper four star standards of luxury. Breakfast is cooked, which means a ten minute wait but is all the better for the fact that it is freshly prepared and not part of a buffet. The bar/restaurant area is attractive and not typical for a hotel as it has a very distinctive but warm and comfy decor and I enjoyed two good reasonably priced meals.

The hotel is in an old military hospital building so it has a lot of character and has been upgraded well.

It is located on an elevated site above the city and is a ten to fifteen minute walk to the city centre which is fine downhill but not that big a deal to walk back uphill.

I liked this hotel and the staff are excellent.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the city.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

My fiancé and I stayed in this hotel for one night on his birthday.

They room itself was clean but the shower in the bathroom was awful it was like rain water no power whatsoever! They obviously haven't heard of sound proofing either as I was woken up in the middle by the men in the room next door, they were just talking normally no raised voices but I could still hear every word, we were once again woken in the morning to the sounds of them talking, flushing the toilet and turning on the tap. Not what you want to be woken up by when your away for a night together.

We did not eat in the restaurant as we both thought it was very over priced and there is much better value in the city.

A month before we booked, I emailed the hotel to let them know it was my fiancé birthday and the last time we would get away together before the wedding and was there anything extra special they could do for us, I was told they would upgrade our room to one with a balcony (which we ended up having anyway) when I checked the Internet it turns out I was quoted a price was even more expensive then their own website!!!

For my birthday in a different hotel we got a free room upgrade and bottle of prosecco in the room!

My advice would be to spend that little bit extra and stay nearer the city.

Won't be calling back or recommending.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank complaining
bangor N.I.
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Just returned from a long weekend in this hotel. We booked mainly based on the reviews of the restaurant and the proximity to the city centre. Well things didn't start well as the rooms were not ready when we arrived. After an hours delay we finally got the room which was spacious clean and of a good standard. After spending the rest of the day in the city we looked forward to our meal and were very disappointed by the standard. I'm sorry but the chef is not as good as he thinks he is. The seafood chowder was decidedly average and was so under seasoned it was farcical. The chowder tasted like a bowl of double cream with a few veg and a few mussels and clams thrown in with their shells still on in fact two of the mussels failed to open and had to be thrown out. My wife's salmon and Chinese style noodles were so overpowered by lemon and lemon grass the taste was quite sour. My own seafood platter was so overcooked the smoked fish and salmon were almost crispy. We decided to forgo dessert. A big disappointment after the other reviews. Saturday nights sleep was appalling as the staff decided to squeal and shout into the early hours at the staff entrance and then decided to drag laundry bins over the car park at 7 am . Breakfast was another disappointment with the kitchen running out of bacon an the Tuesday morning and not telling guests until their breakfast arrived on the table and had a very off handed attitude when quizzed. As I said the hotel was lovely but the kitchen was a downer

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2014

After refurbishment, the character remains and it is stylish, comfortable and clean. I found staff to be very friendly as well as helpful. It is easy to walk into Cork although , when returning , there is an uphill stretch.
The restaurant produced a very high standard of food at a very reasonable rate. If I lived in Cork, I would be a frequent visitor.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Staff were very polite, really enjoyed my stay, loved my room was very spacious comfortable and a lovely view of Cork from my balcony, we could even see the marquee which was where we were going. walking distance to bus station and all bars and restaurants. recommended!!

Room Tip: Superior double room , very spacious, ask for a front room really nice view of Cork from your balcon...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
haverfordwest
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We were lucky enough to get a great deal on booking .com and would have gladly paid double this is a first class hotel. The room was luxurious, the view superb food was great and we are planning to go back for a couple of days to explore Cork properly. One night was not enough

Room Tip: In the front of the hotel the rooms have the best view
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business