“Would not recommend”

and 1 more site!
Acorn House
Ranked #16 of 60 Cork B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Would only let me make a booking for a minimum of two nights. When I emailed about cancelling the second night, the owner told me she would have to cancel the two nights as she only takes bookings for a minimum of two nights! We ended up only staying one night but having to pay for two nights! Not very helpful at all. I would not stay here again.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank patjo382
There are newer reviews for Acorn House

Reviewed 7 May 2013

Difficult to find and parking was an issue. Our room was on the top floor which involved more stairs than we anticipated. After a day of driving and sightseeing it was a slow climb upstairs. Bathrooms were very small and the shade on the small window did little to block the early morning light. We wee greeted warmly and given great advice on where to go for dinner and drinks just down the hill and around the corner. Breakfast was delicious and served quickly and with nice conversation.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Karen C
Reviewed 18 April 2013 via mobile

It is walking distance from all the main attractions in Cork.Close to the bus station and train station.The owners are very helpful. The breakfast was average. Rooms are big, just in our room the wardrobe was a bit small. Overall it was good value for money. I liked the fact that they gave you a city map upon arrival.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 16 September 2012

We only stayed for one night. The owners were very nice. Our room was very outdated and had a strange odor to it. The house is old so you hear all the creeks. Breakfast was very good. It was a traditional Irish breakfast and we were waited on. It's very good for the price and very close to the main city center.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 July 2012

We arrived at the Acorn House without a reservation due to a change of plans last minute. Situated on St.Patrick's hill, this guesthouse is a short 5 minute walk to city center. We found a parking spot right outside across the street and bought a parking pass at the bottom of the street, everything was very close.

We had a great meal right on the bottom of the hill, nice wine list and great tapas menu. The nightlife was great with lively bars and clubs good for any age...all 5 minutes walk away.

The price was a bargin for a last minute deal, we paid cash. Our room was on the 3rd floor, it was a walk up so when making a reservation ask for a room on the lower floors. We didn't mind the walk up, excersise is good! The room was clean but dated.....did the deed for the night.

We picked it due to location and price, the house owner was helpful with maps and where to explore.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cloglisci
Reviewed 6 August 2011

I suspect that the widely varying evaluations I see here are due to the room you get. We wound up in #7 on the third floor and it was barely acceptable. Charlie was very pleasant at check in. The room was way up three steep flights of stairs. It was clean but, plain, plain, plain, with worn carpet on the floor, no furniture in the room other than the two beds and a very, very small bathroom with stand up shower (don't try to bend over) with no soap provided other than hand soap. If you're trying to use the wifi, I think the third floor is too far away from the router to connect reliably. Parking is on the street and you need to pay weekdays or risk the clamp.
The place is located close to the center of town, just about three blocks (two of which are up a steep hill) from the river. I did get a brief look through open doors at a couple of the rooms on lower floors and they did look more nicely appointed than our room on the top floor.

Room Tip: Don't get the 3rd floor
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jazzcat_CA
Reviewed 4 July 2011

Good Points: Location (very near city center and bus station)
Bad Points: They make you pay in advance and I was told that I would lose my money if I left early; probably one of the most uncomfortable beds I've ever slept in (springs poking into my back); strange odor (maybe mold?); no use of the sitting room (the only space available to guests is their room); they weren't willing to negotiate on their nightly rate because I was told it was "rock bottom" but when I later looked on their website, the rates quoted were ten euro lower (hmmm......)

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business