“Fantastic!!!!”

Hayfield Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Cork
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 30 September 2007

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Hayfield. We were there for our wedding anniversary and got a complimentary room upgrade which was a lovely surprise! The room was fantastic and my husband thought the golf club and putter a great idea! All the staff that we came into contact with were extremely friendly and nothing was too much bother. Bart was a huge source of local information and was helpful with his folder of maps etc (he told us often of the "excuse for a roundabout at the end of the road"). The bar staff were a great help in advising us of whether to try Muphys or Guiness (I'm now a Guiness drinker) the bar area was always clean and tidy as was all the areas we came across. Pool and outdoor jacuzzi were always well stocked with towels etc and nice and relaxing.
We ate in both Perrotts and Orchids restaurant and both meals, including breakfast each morning, were fantastic. The food was always hot and well presented and served by attentive staff.
All in all, we had a great stay and would love to go back again, although I do agree with a couple of other reviewers regarding the location but once you are there - it's bliss!!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jools26
Write a ReviewReviews (3,102)

Reviewed 20 September 2007

Best hotel in Cork. But, it is in the middle of town (appears to be on the campus of the university) and a bit of a walk from the city centre. It isn't noisey, but with urban roads and construction, it took a bit to find the place. The room was very large (although an odd layout in our particular room) with good 5-star amenities. It is showing its age a bit and the gardens in the back aren't that large. The staff is friendly. Can be expensive, so we walked into town for dinner rather than eat in either of their restaurants.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank bhencey
Reviewed 18 September 2007

Our stay at Hayfield Manor was a pleasure from beginning to end. My sister and I wanted to get away for a short break, do some shopping and relax and the hotel was perfect. We really enjoyed breakfast which set us up for the day's shopping and arriving back in the evening to a nice cocktail in the bar was wonderful. We will definitely be returning for the sales!

Stayed: September 2007
1  Thank sheaa
Reviewed 13 September 2007

My husband and I and our young daughter recently stayed at Hayfield Manor for an overnight shopping trip to Cork. I can only say from start to finish that we found the hotel excellent. From the moment we entered we felt at home and found every staff member pleasant and helpful. Our room was lovely and bright and airy, and I have to say my husband loved the putter and club in the room!! Nifty idea! We all went to the pool area and found it to be nce and relaxing with loungers and fluffy towels and an outdoors hot tub which I love.
We had dinner arrangements for ourselves for the evening and also a babysitter booked. All of which was confirmed to us. We were brought my daughters meal to the room which was lovely and had been specially prepared for her.
Our meal in Perrot's was very enjoyable and the surroundings, service and the menu were excellent . We then retired to the bar , which is lovely and relaxing with alcoves for some privacy. All in all a very realxing evening. A special thank you to the babysitter that evening. Breakfast was a difficulty as when we first attempted it my daugher was ill and so we had to leave. We later returned after 11am and were still given a table. I ordered a freshly prepared omlette and the stafff were once again friendly and looked after us even though we were delaying them.

Well done to all at Hayfield , I usually like a more modern style hotel but Hayfield seems to have kept the old while introducing contemporary aspects that work very well side by side. Service is excellent without been stufy and over bearing . A very special thank you to Diane who arranged a babysitter and our meal for us. We will be back again for our Christmas Shopping break!

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank Carolannolan
Reviewed 5 September 2007

The grounds of this hotel were lovely, as was the room we stayed in, but we found the service very spotty and erratic.

For starters - you are indeed frazzled when you arrive - one of the most difficult places on earth to find - very frustrating. You really would not want to walk anywhere at night, so automatically you feel somewhat trapped. Could not get waited on the the bar, and had to ask the staff on three separate occasions over the course of many hours for a US electrical converter. (Ours worked in other hotels but not there). Apparently they didn't really have one on hand. but kept telling us it would be straight away anyway! Thanks, I loved being lied to when I really need to use an appliance! We ordered coffee via room service - came without milk or cream, in a pot that we literally scalded ourselves on - apparently not suitable for hot beverages, showing the staff inexperience.

Dinner reservations - made reluctantly by the concierge (she stated "we have VERY limited seating you know" HELLO - I'm a guest here you idiot!)) were lost in the shuffle and they had to scramble for a table....the meal included an amuse bouch which consisted of pickled herring and lentils, which really showed the complete lack of talent and imagination on the part of the chef catering their alleged fine dining restaurant. It was without doubt the worst meal we had on our entire trip- tasteless, lifless and as if prepared days ahead for a banquet meal. Oddly enough, the meal we ate in Perrots, which is considered their casual dining, was acceptable.

In conclusion, do yourself a favor and stay outside the city environs, in a quaint and relaxing place such as Kinsale. A far better experience and you'll spend half the money.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
12  Thank nshoretraveler
Reviewed 24 August 2007

My wife and I stayed at the Hayfield Manor for her birthday at the end of July and had been looking forward to visiting Cork for some time.

The Hayfield Manor booking came off the back of a reccomendation from a work colleague and we were not disappointed by our stay there. There are a couple of minor issues, which may have been related to a function which was booked on the Saturday night of our stay, but otherwise...

First off, the greeting at the hotel by the doorman and the staff was exemplary (many thanks to Alex incidentally, for going above and beyond the call, giving new guests a short guided tour). Room was well equipped, clean, pleasant, nice views of the courtyard garden. No complaints there.

Dined in the Fine Dining part first night. Very good quality dining experience, everything I hoped it would be and well worth the money.

Saturday spent doing the touristy stuff around Cork City, easily reached from the hotel and the hotel staff were very helpful in providing maps and information, calling taxi's etc. Saturday night we spent in the bistro in the hotel, which was not quite as good. I'm convinced that the Cod that my wife ordered was actually Coley (although it was denied by the waiting staff) and that the Langoustines that I was meant to have were in fact Tiger Prawns. Now, this is a bit naughty. If someone in the catering side thinks that because people choose to eat in a bistro type environment rather than fine dining that some of the complexities and nuances of fine dining are going to be lost on them, then they are very much mistaken! However, given that a very demanding party function was on that day, and given the positive nature of the whole of the rest of our stay, we were prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt, particularly when my wife's main course was deducted from the bill after we protested.

Sunday, the hotel remembered my wifes birthday and she was given a personal card from the Managing Director, which is a very nice touch and the hotel helped arrange our visit to Blarney Castle and also booked us a restaurant in Cork City (which unfortunately turned out to be a bit of a duffer, but no fault of theirs).

Overall though, we had a very nice time in Cork at the Hayfield and will definately be back as it is an ideal place for touring this particular part of SW Ireland. Everyone we met on our stay was friendly and receptive and just.... really nice. More than happy to reccomend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple