“NEW YEAR AT HAYFIELD MANOR”

Hayfield Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Cork
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Somerset U.K.
“NEW YEAR AT HAYFIELD MANOR”
Reviewed 14 January 2013

We had a two night stay over New Year to attend the Gala / black tie event, this was our third visit to Hayfield. It is such a warm, friendly & welcoming hotel where everyone puts their job description aside and all work together to make it a wonderful experience. We were checked in by Ethienne (GM) we saw him later clearing tables in the bar, Bart (Concierge) welcomes guests and helps with their luggage but he was also the toast master at the black tie event. We saw him next day cleaning windows and offering advice on the local area..Not forgetting all the staff working so hard behind the scenes to achieve the overall effect, housekeeping doing an excellent job, the chef & kitchen staff preparing the wonderful breakfasts to name but a few but they give this hotel its special ambience.

The Gala/black tie event was not the very elegant evening we had expected it to be, it started off really well with a musician playing in the background, canapés and champagne. Sadly it ended when we went to Orchids for dinner, we were sat at a table for two, there was no background music or anything to differentiate it from an ordinary night.
It really deteriorated when we went to the (quite small) foyer where everyone in the hotel had congregated. There was a group of musicians in the foyer who were unsuited the venue and the occasion. We were decidedly overdressed and no match for the melee that ensued so we left and retired to the safety of our room!

We also tried Perrots Bistro on this occasion but prefer the style of dining in Orchids where the Chef is also more receptive to guests wishes also the overall ambience is much calmer.
The pool & hot tub is very relaxing at night when the younger guests have gone to bed.
The bar staff are very friendly & welcoming and the lighter meals available there are excellent.

A lovely hotel with exceptional staff which is the reason why ourselves and many others will continue to return there.

5 Thank ClaireandJohn
Ettienne V, General Manager at Hayfield Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 30 January 2013
Dear Claire and John,

First and foremost, may I take this opportunity to thank you for staying with us again at Hayfield Manor and for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your recent stay to bring in the New Year. Thank you for your positive comments about our hotel and our team, Bart in particular. I will be sure to extend your gratitude on to them, I know they will all very much appreciate it. We do consider our staff to be our greatest asset and we are very lucky to have such a team. It is always nice to have their efforts recognised and complimented.

While we had a lot of positive feedback on the music, gala ball and the atmosphere on the night, I do take on board the points that you have raised. We have recently had a management meeting to discuss potential improvements on the event for next year and your feedback was certainly very helpful in highlighting aspects that may need to be rectified and altered in the interim. We have considered relocating the dance area and the band to another location within the hotel to enhance the exclusivity of the gala ball and we will make every effort to ensure that the music, dress code and setting are suitable as we always want the event to be a spectacular occasion and a memorable introduction to the new year for all of our guests.

We will always welcome the opportunity to be of service and would be honoured to welcome you back to Hayfield Manor again in the not too distant future.

Warm Regards

Ettienne van Vrede

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 14 January 2013

My partner and I stayed here on Xmas and boxing day on our recent tour of Ireland. We checked into Hayfield after a nervy car trip around cork with an unruly Tom Tom. Once we located the Manor we pulled up through the gates to an oasis of calm and grandeur. Upon checking in we were greeted warmly and very professionally by Deidre who offered us juice and water whilst we went through check in details. A porter showed us our room and brought our bags; he helpfully pointed out some of the features of the room including light switches, A/C and such. The room decor was in keeping with that of a grand manor and felt inviting and warm; with a lovely canopy bed and nich touches through out. The one slight criticism i have is the unsightly cabling which runs down the wall behind the flat creen TV. These could perhaps be encased in some type of reticulated moulding to disguise their existence. That said, i was most impressed with the bathroom which has double sinks and indulgent Elemis toiletries on offer. Overall the room decor and comfortability was of a very high standard. We dined in Perrots restaurant on Christmas evening and partook in a wonderful "fork supper" which we in Australia would know as a buffet. The food and service were fantastic as was the elaborate wine list, the Gigondas we ordered was one of the finest i have had, delicious. We settled into a nice banquette in the adjoining bar for a night cap of Irish mist and Irish coffee. The staff again were very very helpful and genuinely keen to be of service. There was a gentleman on piano in the foyer which coupled with the festive decorations, fireplace and cheery staff made for a memorable end to our christmas. The following day we needed help with sightseeing issues and ever at the ready was the lovely Deidre compiling and suggesting tour sights and routes on an otherwise bleak and rainy St. Stephen's day morning. Eventually the sun shone and following a full days touring we settled back into the care of the Hayfield Manor team, we swam in the luxurious indoor pool, had a very delicious room service dinner and eventually drifted off to another fabulous nights sleep. Sadly, the next morning, we checked out and were ably sent off with the warmest Irish hospitality possible by the delightful doorman on duty who insisited on cleaning my windscreens before our journey to Dublin. I have rated the Hayfield Manor 5 stars and indeed on what we experienced I believe this to be correct. However, i feel in the near term certain internal and in room infrastructure issues will need to be addressed to keep this rating. But for now I say thank you for the wonderful memories, Hayfield Manor.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank claude c
Ettienne V, General Manager at Hayfield Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 28 January 2013
Dear claude c,

Thank you very much for your fantastic review on Tripadvisor, and for choosing to stay with us at Hayfield Manor.

It was a pleasure to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your recent stay with us. I would also like to thank you for your kind words about the hotel and in particular our staff, Deirdre in particular, who truly are the back bone of Hayfield Manor.

I was also delighted to hear that you enjoyed the Cuisine. I would like to thank you for supporting our restaurant.

I want to thank you for your additional comments regarding the wires from the tv, I apologise for any inconvenience caused and I assure you I have had this issue resolved.

Once again massive thanks for your feedback, and indeed for staying with us at Hayfield Manor. It would be my pleasure to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Warmest Regards

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 10 January 2013

This is a wonderful hotel. It has the ultimate country house hotel feel.
We were greeted by welcoming staff and the excellent consierge - Bart. He carried our bags to our room and divulged a little bit of history along the way.
The room was very comfortable and warm. All the amenities you could possibly need are there.
One night is not enough!

2 Thank PMfoodie14
Dear Paula M,

I would like to begin by thanking you for staying with us at Hayfield Manor, and indeed for taking the time for posting your very kind review on Trip Advisor.

I was delighted to read that Hayfield Manor was so enjoyable. Thank you for your lovely comments about our hotel and our staff, which I will be sure to pass on to them.

We will always welcome the opportunity to be of service and look forward to welcoming you back to Hayfield Manor in the not too distant future.

Best wishes & Kind Regards

Ireland
Reviewed 8 January 2013

Welcoming ambience, pleasant staff, quiet location not far from city centre. Lovely old building, if a bit over-fussily decorated, and plenty of different spaces for guests. My main gripe was the lack of darkness in the bedroom. Light from the corridor came in under the door, supplemented by light from the TV, the telephone, the air-conditioner and a couple of other appliances. It took a little while to position towels to achieve a satisfactory level of darkness. Conversely the bathroom was poorly lit. And I do consider 27 euro a bit on the high side for a full breakfast.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lissacaha
Ettienne V, General Manager at Hayfield Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 13 January 2013
Dear Guest Lissacaha,

I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us recently and for taking the time to furnish us with this feedback. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the ambience and the location of the hotel. We do endeavour to create a welcoming and homely atmosphere and I am very glad that this is noticed and appreciated by our guests. I shall certainly pass on your kind comments in relation to our team also. The staff is certainly our greatest asset and your acknowledgement is very much appreciated.

I have taken your comments on board concerning the lighting in both the bedroom and bathroom areas. It is my understanding that when the appliances such as the TV, Air Conditioning Unit and so on are fully switched off, there is no longer lights emitting. I shall investigate both the telephone and the light under the door immediately. A good night's sleep for our guests is obviously a chief priority and I would like to apologise if this was not your experience. I have already discussed the issues highlighted with our maintenance manager.

We consider €27 for breakfast to be an appropriate charge considering that this includes access to a full and varied buffet, including buck's fizz or prosecco, unlimited teas and coffees and the option to order a wide selection of hot dishes which are cooked to order from the kitchen. We do always recommend on booking that potential hotel guests opt for our Bed & Breakfasts packages as, should guests choose to dine for breakfast, these are often a more attractive option in terms of value.

Thank you again for your feedback and for your valued custom.

Wishing you a very happy 2013.

Warm Regards,

Ettienne
Kerry
Reviewed 7 January 2013

Stayed at Hayfield Manor recently for 2 nights and can genuinely not wait to return. Great staff that could not do enough for us, but in a lovely, discreet manner. Warm welcome in a beautiful hotel. Plush bedroom, great pool and the food was second to none. Breakfast is a fabulous experience and dinner on both evenings was exquisite. One slight criticism, in the interests of fairness, was that the reception in the pool and spa area is quite often un-manned. Unusual to have spa reception duties taken on by therapists, no big deal except that on first visit had no idea where lockers etc were or where to shower (would generally be used to hotels having larger showering/changing areas) and so found ourselves, and several others, wandering around guessing at where to go. Only tiny fault in an otherwise incredible place. Have sang the praises fo Hayfield Manor to everyone we met since returning home, and are literally counting down until our next stay. Keep up the good work!

2 Thank Kerry82Kerry
Dear Kerry82Kerry,

I would like to begin by thanking you for staying with us at Hayfield Manor, and for taking the time to post your TripAdvisor review.

I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel. We strive to make our guests feel as comfortable and relaxed as possible, and I am delighted you felt like this during your stay.
Thank you for your further comments on our spa, I assure you I have taken all of your comments on board.

We would be delighted to welcome you back to Hayfield Manor in the not too distant future, for perhaps an extended break this time around.

Warmest regards

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2013

Visiting during the Christmas season, I was wowed by Hayfield's beautiful festive decorating! It made an already beautiful manor seem like a home away from home.
The staff were attentive without being obvious. A pianist in the lobby added just the right touch of warmth and cosiness.
Favourite features of the hotel included:
- The great spa...complete with outdoor jacuzzi (perfect for a frosty winter's evening)
- The super sized bathroom
- Our dear porter, who not only lugged our very heavy girlie suitcases around, but also provided us with great tips about Cork.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank MelissaJ7
Dear MelissaJ7,

May I begin by thanking you for staying with us at Hayfield Manor and for posting your very positive review.

It was great to read that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay, at Hayfield we make sure no detail to small is overlooked, and feel that attention to detail is very important. It Is great to learn that these do not go by unoticed.

I would like to thank you once again for your wonderful review, and I do hope to welcome you back to Hayfield Manor in the not too distant future.

Kind Regards,

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 6 January 2013 via mobile

Having to visit Cork for an overnight we had the chance to stay at the Hayfield which we knew of and had eaten at before.As we had a voucher cost was not a factor. We were not disappointed. The Christmas feel was in evidence when we arrived to check in and the hotel was beautifully decorated. We were in a room in the main part of the hotel above reception. The room had that comfortable warm solid feel but had all mod cons and included a putting machine! The piano being played in reception could ne heard tinkling away but did not interfere with a long and pleasant sleep in a very comfortable bed. We were out for the evening so did not have dinner at the hotel. If breakfast is a guide though dinner will need to be taken the next time we visit as it was exceptional. Really good range of juices,breads,meats,pastries. Bucks fizz that you made yourself and the best eggs benedict I have had in Ireland. I could happily plan to visit the Hayfield Manor again and will be tracking for offers over the next year.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank daithm
Dear daithm,

To begin I would like to thank you for staying with us at Hayfield Manor. I would also like to compliment you and thank you for taking the time to write such a fabulous review.

It was a pleasure to read what an enjoyable stay you had with us. I was also delighted that every aspect of the hotel met and exceeded your expectations. We at Hayfield pride ourselves on providing our guests with the finest service and facilities, and I am thrilled you enjoyed these.

We will always take the opportunity to be of service, and we would be honoured to welcome you back through our doors in the not too distant future.

Warmest Regards,