“Very unlucky with afternoon tea visit!”

Hayfield Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Cork
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 21 November 2013

We were celebrating two birthdays and as our sister has spent the last few jazz weekends at the Hayfield and raved about it, we opted for afternoon tea, booked and set sail.

So why were we so under-whelmed by our experience? The afternoon tea was fine - more than you can possibly eat and tasty (except perhaps for the watermelon soup) so the kitchen did a good job and hats off to them B U T..... there are two important aspects to tea: A) the tea and B) the surroundings. The huge disappointment was that we were consigned to a chilly dark library where the gas fire wasn't even lit and the radiators were off (Our visit was in November).

Judging by the excellent reviews here and of course my own sister's reviews, this was not this hotel's finest hour and perhaps the front desk had overbooked in error.

The library is probably fine for an evening drink if warm but soulless and rather depressing for tea on a dark winters day. It appears to be a staff entrance to the dining room and where the wine bottles are kept.

As we departed we noticed that there was a brightly lit, welcoming drawing room full of people having tea so they were clearly all having a very favourable experience. So my tip would be: Make absolutely sure that you are not consigned to the library. Sorry but my library is way way nicer than this one so I won't be in a hurry to go back anytime soon. My next afternoon tea visit will be another trip to the Goring Hotel in London in replacement of this as I definitely know that I won't be disappointed. It's the best and worth every cent!!
ps 4 stars because the kitchen did a good job and because the drawing room looked fine! We were very unlucky and too bad for us that it was supposed to be a celebration.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank KilbroganHouse
Ettienne V, General Manager at Hayfield Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

Dear Guest KilbroganHouse,

I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent visit to Hayfield Manor.

Thank you very much indeed for your kind praise of our Afternoon Tea assortment. I am very glad to know that you were pleased with our cuisine and that you found the portions were more than sufficient.

I am however exceedingly sorry to learn that you were very disappointed with our surroundings, and I would like to apologise most sincerely. We take great pride in our hotel so naturally it is very disheartening to know that we have not managed to exceed your expectations. Having understood that you were celebrating a special occasion, it makes it all the more regrettable that you left feeling dissatisfied.

Thank you once again for your helpful feedback, which is indeed very much appreciated.

I very much hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hayfield Manor again. I would be most grateful if you could contact me when you plan to return, so that I can personally oversee your visit.

Reviewed 21 November 2013

The shame was that we only got to spend one night in this five star manor. From the moment you enter, you will receive a very warm Irish welcome. No detail is left untouched at the Hayfield. The rooms, the setting and the public areas are all luxurious and charming, leaving you never to want to leave.
The breakfast was vast and scrumptious. There were a number of buffets, groaning with all kinds of breads, baked goodies, cheeses, meats, fish, yogurt, fruit, granola, jams etc. And then there was the array of hot egg choices to add to that!
You may just need to go to Cork, even if you weren't planning to, just so that you can stay here.
We really enjoyed the day trip to Cobh, a half an hour's train ride away from Cork. This was the last place that the Titanic saw land before it set sail across the Atlantic. We did a fascinating historical walking tour of Cobh with Michael Martin and learned much about its history and the role it played in the Titanic's story.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank janrez

Dear Guest janrez,

Thank you very much indeed for choosing to stay with us recently at Hayfield Manor and also for taking the time to review our hotel.

I am thrilled to know that you enjoyed your stay so immensely. Thank you for your very kind praise of our staff and cuisine, I am pleased to hear that you felt we had such a wide variety on our breakfast buffet.

I hope you may just need to come to Cork again so that I can have the pleasure of welcoming you back.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

We spent two weeks in Ireland, staying in top notch hotels. Hayfield Manor was our favorite by far. The service is superb from the minute you drive up, and it never slacks off. The rooms are large, very comfortable, and quiet. We were on the front and I expected it might be noisy. It wasn't. Overall, this is a great place to stay in Ireland.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Louis_Virginia

Dear Guest Louis_Virginia,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us recently and also for taking the time to review our hotel.

It was a pleasure to read through your review. I am thrilled to know that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you very much for your wonderful comments about our hotel, especially our guest rooms and our service. It is always a pleasure to receive such wonderful recognition from our guests.

It would be my pleasure to welcome you back to Hayfield Manor again, hopefully very soon.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

I had the pleasure (along with 6 others in the group) of staying in Hayfield manor last weekend. It was the perfect choice for a girlie night away.
From the moment we arrived the atmosphere and service was excellent. From checking in, where one of our rooms (triple room) was upgraded to a twin and an adjoining room (with a King Size bed much to my delight!), to the fantastic food at both breakfast and dinner and the courteous staff who couldn’t do enough for us, it truly was an excellent choice of hotel.

All I have to do now is to figure out an excuse to stay there again!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Guest Finola_2013,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review Hayfield Manor, and indeed for choosing to stay with us recently.

It gives me great pleasure to know how much you enjoyed your visit and that you were so pleased with your upgraded room. Thank you for your kind comments, I am delighted to know that you felt you chose an excellent hotel for your girlie night away.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to Hayfield Manor in the near future.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

I fully agree with all the "excellent" comments which have been posted regarding the hotel. The entire team can justifiably take a well deserved bow ! It's particular characteristic is that is is so relaxing - a true sign a really well managed hotel. The Hayfield Manor is the benchmark for all hotels.....worldwide.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Barry O
Ettienne V, General Manager at Hayfield Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Dear Guest Barry O,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us recently, and thank you also for taking the time to review our hotel.

It was a pleasure to read through your review. I am thrilled to know that you enjoyed your stay so immensely. It is always delightful to hear that our guests are pleased with our services, and that you found your break was us so relaxing.

I very much hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again, hopefully in the near future.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

What a lovely place to escape to for a girly catch up.
We celebrated our friends 50th last Friday night and stayed the night. Could not have been nicer, and we felt so welcome and relaxed. Sarah who was on duty on reception when checking in was a gem. Great eggs benedict at breakfast Lovely touches everywhere. Because we're worth it!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Monica O
Ettienne V, General Manager at Hayfield Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

Dear Guest Monica O,

I would like to thank you very much for writing a review and indeed for staying with us recently at Hayfield Manor.

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us to celebrate your friends 50th birthday, and also for you kind words about Sarah and our breakfast. I will be sure to pass your lovely comments on to the rest of the team.

I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you and your friends back in the near future.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

Nothing much I can add, room was lovely, the most powerful shower I have ever stood under. Service was excellent.
Only very slight negative was the pillows on the bed, far too soft, if I had asked they probably would have got some firmer ones, because of that I didn't sleep too well.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Grant H

Dear Guest Grant H,

I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to write your review, and for choosing to stay with us recently.

I am delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for your praise of our team and our guest room. I shall be sure to pass your comments on to the rest of the team here at Hayfield Manor.

Grant H, please accept my apologies for your disturbed night’s sleep. It would have been our pleasure to have bought you up firmer pillows as we never want our guests to leave feeling unsatisfied.

I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again very soon.