“Terrific Hotel - loved every minute of our stay!”

Hayfield Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Cork
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We cannot say enough about our wonderful stay at the Hayfield Manor Hotel. From the moment we arrived the staff couldn't have been more helpful and welcoming. Check-in was a relaxed experience in the beautiful lobby area of the hotel. The furniture, antiques and fabrics are all a perfect match for the style and feel of this lovely place. Our room was just lovely and couldn't have been more comfortable - as other reviews have stated - we DID NOT want to leave! Warm, cozy, first-class and luxurious are all words that immediately come to mind. The included breakfast was delicious and had the best smoked salmon we enjoyed during our trip. Afternoon Tea was lovely and our visit overall was just superb. If we are ever in Cork again we will certainly be staying at the Hayfield Manor.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LoveAllThingsDisney
Ettienne V, General Manager at Hayfield Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear LoveAllThingsDisney,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review Hayfield Manor, and for choosing to stay with us recently.

From beginning to end it was a delight to read your review. Thank you very much indeed for your very kind praise of our hotel and our cuisine. I am especially glad to hear that you enjoyed your Afternoon Tea.

Thank you also for your kind praise of our staff. We are fortunate to have an exceptional team at Hayfield, and I will be certain to forward on your comments to them. I am sure that they will be thrilled to know that they made such a wonderful impression.

I very much hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hayfield Manor again in the near future.

Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel, which is only a 10 minute walk from the centre of Cork City is beautiful. I am always wary of 5 star hotels as sometimes you can be made feel inferior. Not the case here.... We received such a lovely warm welcome. The concierge couldn't do enough for us! Check in was a pleasant experience! We stayed in a Manor Room (one of the cheaper options, €185 per room b&b per night) and it was super. Tea and coffee making facilities and yummy shortcake biscuits.... A big flat screen and tons of dvds to 'borrow' from reception. The only let down for me was the bathroom!

Breakfast was definitely a 5 star experience! Absolutely delicious! We will definitely be back to Hayfield Manor!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tara M
Ettienne V, General Manager at Hayfield Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Dear Tara M,

I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor and indeed for choosing to stay with us at Hayfield Manor recently.

Thank you for wonderful praise of our hotel. I am delighted that you were so pleased with our welcome and with our service. I am also delighted to hear that you were enjoyed your room, although I am a little disappointed to note that you were not so pleased with the bathroom. Had we been aware of this at the time, we would have been delighted to offer you an alternative room more to your liking.

Thank you also for your very kind comments about our staff. We are fortunate to have a wonderful team at Hayfield Manor, and I am especially glad to know that they made such a great impression. I will be certain to forward your praise to them.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Hayfield Manor in the near future, hopefully for an extended stay.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

I was on a Vantage trip and we were blessed to stay here. I received a thank you note, handwritten in an envelope thanking us for allowing them to serve us and change our lightbulb!!! I have been in the travel industry for over 30 years and have never stayed in a more gracious and lovely hotel. I want to return Patricia Arthur Eurolloyd Travel

Room Tip: They are all good
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Patricia,

I would like to thank you so much for choosing to stay with us at Hayfield Manor recently, and also for taking the time to write your wonderful review of our hotel.

I am absolutely thrilled with your kind comments. Thank you very much indeed for your marvellous praise of our staff and service. It is immensely gratifying to know that exceeded your expectations.

Thank you once again for your wonderful feedback; it is very much appreciated by the entire team.

I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hayfield Manor again very soon.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

This hotel was very impressive- it appeared to be old yet it was actually built in the 90's.
Very large comfortable rooms- we had 13 people and 7 different rooms and all were very different- 2 even had pet fish( with names!) Nicely decorated and comfortable beds.
The service was amazing and very friendly- we had dinner in the casual dining room- it was very nice and again the service was great.
Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Ellepow,

I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to write your review, and for choosing to stay at Hayfield Manor recently.

It was an absolute delight to read through your review, and I am thrilled that you all enjoyed your visit so thoroughly. I am very glad to hear that you were so pleased with your rooms and the goldfish and that your bed was very comfortable. Thank you indeed for your kind comments.

Thank you also for your wonderful praise of our staff. I am immensely proud of our team, and it gives me great pleasure to know that their efforts are recognised. I will be certain to pass on your comments to them, as I am sure they will all be delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay and that they made such a wonderful impression.

I very much look forward to your return to Hayfield Manor, hopefully in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

We decided to go to Hayfield manor for our honeymoon. It's a stunning house, about a 20 minute walk away from Cork city centre. Our room, 238, was a nice large room with a big bed, beautiful view and all the little extras that you expect. Including a golf club and ball return, which was a huge highlight! However, when we returned to our room after it had been cleaned, the batteries had been, rather inexplicably, removed from the ball return. It’s a weird thing to complain about I know, but it seemed like such an odd thing to do. Room 238 also seems to be over the laundrette, and we could occasionally hear the washing machine going. The bedding is all feather duvets and pillows, unfortunately, my husband has asthma, so we called room service and they promptly changed the bedding.

The bathroom was also quite large with two sinks, but it had the most horrendous shower rail I have ever seen! It’s not even attached to the wall! One afternoon, when my husband closed the curtain, the entire rail came down and smacked him in the head. From the marks on the wall this was not the first time that this has happened! Shower with caution!!

We had breakfast there the first morning, which at €27 per person was very disappointing. There was nothing special about it that made it worth €27, and we spent the rest of the week making the short walk down to the Liberty Grill for our breakfast, which was delicious and cost less than €10 per person

The hotel has an aviary and a rabbit hutch. One day on our way back in from town, we saw a dead budgie being eaten by another budgie on the bottom of the cage. We mentioned this to the door man on our way back into the hotel and he just laughed and said ‘Don’t order the pheasant!’ A few hours later we passed by the aviary again, and the dead bird was still there! It was removed the following day, but we still felt that a hotel that prides itself on it’s appearance, would have had the dead cannibalised budgie removed immediately.

We did use the pool and steam room which were fabulous! We went down at about 11am and had the place to ourselves so that was a real treat!
We walked back to our room in our dressing gowns so they were quite wet, I left them on the floor in our room, they were removed by house keeping, but not replenished. We had to phone the front desk for new dressing gowns.

Don’t bother eating in the hotel, the food is nothing special for the money you pay. There are many outstanding places to eat in Cork, I really had some of the best food of my life there! We highly recommend The Corn Store, The Liberty Grill, The Farm Gate Café, Jacques, Les Gourmandises and Strasbourg Goose.

All in all, we had a pleasant stay, but we wouldn’t call it 5 star service. Hayfield Manor seems to be geared towards the rich American tourist, rather than us common folk who just wanted to feel special and spoilt on our honeymoon. Hayfield did nothing to make us feel special, we felt that we were looked down upon by reception staff. There were no little extras. We did mention to the receptionist that we had gotten married the previous day when we checked in, in the hopes of a complimentary drink or something, but to no avail.
We would not stay in Hayfield again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank bbudab

Dear bbudab,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review, and for choosing to celebrate your honeymoon at Hayfield Manor recently.

Thank you also for your kind comments on our hotel. I am delighted that you were pleased with the view and the amenities in your room. I do hope that you had an enjoyable honeymoon.

I am very disappointed to hear that you had issues with noise and with the shower curtain in the bathroom. I am very sorry that we were not made aware of this during your stay, as we would have had a chance to rectify the matter there and then, however I do hope that you will accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused. I would like to assure you that since your stay, we have installed a new shower screen in the bathroom, which should prevent any recurrence.

I have checked with our Reservations department in order to understand how we were not made aware of the fact that you were celebrating your honeymoon, as it should have been noted to ensure that the occasion would have been marked appropriately. They have informed me that your reservation was made on a third party website and regrettably there were no comments or special requests listed on it to inform us, which meant that we were also unaware of your husband’s asthma in advance of your stay; otherwise we would have had the correct bedding in place prior to your arrival, and we would also have endeavoured to arrange a complimentary upgrade for you.

I am also quite surprised and disappointed to hear that you were not pleased with our breakfast, as we take great pride in the high quality of our fare and for the selection on offer; however I would like to assure you that your comments have been forwarded to our chef for review.

Thank you once again for your feedback. I do hope that you will contact me in advance when you next plan to visit Cork, as I would like to personally look after your stay.

I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate you and your husband on your recent wedding, and I wish you both the very best for your new future together.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

I stayed here to visit my niece while she was at University, nearby. The environment is stately yet cozy. I felt like I was in another time period, and very cared for by the staff who is always there in the front lobby. the rooms are spacious, beds have soft sheets and comfortable mattress - and I always like a bathtub, and these are nice and long for a tall person! The food and restaurant service is good as well, with our waitress remembering our names every time. The Doorman wears a top hat and the cleaning staff the black dress with a little white apron. Everyone is super nice and wants to make things as easy and comfortable as possible, "let us pamper you" I was told when I said I could carry my suitcase.

It's a little bit of a walk up a hill coming from the town, and challenging for my father, so we had to take a taxi every time, (about 7-10 euro).

There is a spa and pool we did not use, (so don' forget your swim suit) and there is an outdoor aviary with love birds and such and a nice garden to sit in.

enjoy!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear StockbridgeKim,

I would like to thank you very much for choosing to stay at Hayfield Manor recently, and also for taking the time to write your wonderful review of our hotel.

I am absolutely thrilled with your fantastic comments on our service. Thank you very much indeed for your marvellous praise of all our staff. I am delighted to know that they made such a wonderful impression.

It is immensely gratifying to know that we exceeded your expectations, and I am particularly glad that you were so pleased with our accommodation and amenities. Thank you once again for your wonderful feedback, it is very much appreciated by the entire team.

I very much look forward to welcoming you back to Hayfield Manor again in the near future.

Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed September 2013 with my heavily pregnant wife! The meal was the reason we went and the bed was just somewhere to land my enormously bloated self. The food was as expected, tremendous. The best that the south of Ireland has to offer. The rooms were luxurious and spacious, my only minor complaint would be slightly dated bathroom suite. Breakfast was a small bit underwhelming after such a treat the night before. The eggs benedict was a bit disappointing, but only because the egg was slightly cold on arrival. The hollandaise was perfect and beautiful ham, it was a minor dissapointment, certainly not worth causing a scene over. The breakfast would have been outstanding of served in any other establishment, but the evening before had set such a standard! The staff are old school, customer service is perfect and attention to detail is astounding.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Will-Rym,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review, and for choosing to stay with us recently.

I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us so thoroughly. I am very glad to hear that we surpassed your expectations, and I hope that you and your wife enjoyed a comfortable stay.

Thank you also for your wonderful feedback on our cuisine. I am sorry to note that you found breakfast a little disappointing, and I do apologise. I will be certain to pass on your comments to our chefs. I am sure they will all be delighted to know that you enjoyed your evening meals so well.

I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate you both on your new arrival. I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you all back to Hayfield Manor again in the not too distant future.