“Comfortable Hotel but not certainly not 5*”

Hayfield Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Cork
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We were staying in Hayfield Manor before heading to West Cork for the weekend and arrived there directly from Cork Airport looking forward to some 5* luxury for the night. When we arrived it was clearly very busy in the foyer with lots of guests milling around. We were invited to sit at a desk for check in which was not particularly relaxed as the receptionist kept breaking off from checking us in to call out instructions to various members of staff whenever they passed by. There was a tray on the desk with a bottle of liquor and some glasses which was obviously just for show as we were not at any point offered a welcome drink of any sort. The room was really very basic, it was a twin room with two large single beds, decor was bland and impersonal, with generic prints adorning the walls and unimpressive furniture, with non detachable hangers in the wardrobe, always a bugbear! The bathroom was pretty basic, nothing to write home about, some nice toiletries were provided but the shower was located in the bath and the shower head was just a basic model with average pressure. I couldn't locate a charger for my electric toothbrush and when I enquired as to where this might be I was told that not all the bathrooms had chargers! Really, in a 5* hotel? It was nice to have proper cafetiere coffee in the room but the milk was UHT cartons and there was no fridge. As we relaxed in our room at one point we became aware of a strong smell of cooking/frying, obviously one of the kitchen vents passes by this particular room. The beds and the bedding were a very high quality and we had a good night's sleep. The next morning when we went to breakfast we were shown into a dining room which could be mistaken as having been dressed up for a wedding or disco party, faux columns swathed in grey silk, crystal chandeliers and curtains of crystal beads hanging from the ceiling, truly bizarre decor. The breakfast however was superb, a wonderful buffet and menu experience, we agreed that it ranks up there as one of the best breakfast experiences we have had, the staff were all charming and helpful. We visited the swimming pool, which, helpfully, one can access directly from the residents area without having to go through the foyer. The pool is charming but the steam room was quite ineffective which was a shame. We were checked out by a pretty disinterested receptionist, had she been a little more interested I would have informed her of the cooking odours in the room! Overall, this is definitely not a 5* hotel, in my opinion the standard of the accomodation is really only 3* but the standard of the breakfast hikes the overall hotel standard up to maximum 4*. As we walked out to our car we both agreed that we most likely wouldn't be staying here again!

1  Thank lorayned
Ettienne V, General Manager at Hayfield Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Dear lorayned,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review, and for choosing to stay at Hayfield Manor recently.

While I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed a restful night’s sleep, I was quite dismayed to learn that you were not pleased with your guest room and its amenities. Had we been aware of your dissatisfaction at the time, we would have been delighted to offer you an alternative immediately. As no two rooms at Hayfield Manor are the same, I am certain that we would have been able to accommodate you in a room that was more to your liking. I do offer my sincere apologies to you for any inconvenience caused.

Despite this, I am also very glad to learn that you availed of our leisure facilities, and I do hope that they left you feeling rejuvenated. I am also delighted to know that you were so pleased with our breakfast, and I will be certain to forward on your kind praise to our chef and his team. I am sure they will be delighted.

I would also like to assure you that I have taken your comments regarding our front office staff on board, and will be meeting with our Front Office Manager shortly with a view to improving our service in this area.

I very much hope that you will reconsider visiting Hayfield Manor again in the future, as I would love to have the opportunity to ensure that you experience the full five star standard of service for which we are renowned.

Ettienne van Vrede

Write a ReviewReviews (3,177)

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Our room was pretty big, lots of street noise and no views. The pub and restaurant were beautiful and service was great. I suggest that you ask for a room that faces the front of the property, where the grounds are lovely. I also suggest that the housekeeping supervisor visit the rooms before the guests arrive to make sure all is well. They did respond to my complaint, however. Cork itself is a busy city with lots of action; we like quiet village-type places.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Ettienne V, General Manager at Hayfield Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear adoptsomekids,

I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to write your review, and for choosing to stay with us on your recent trip to Cork.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit to Hayfield Manor. I am very glad to you that you were pleased with our service during your stay, and I would like to thank you very much indeed for your kind praise.

Thank you also for your kind comments regarding our bar and restaurants. I am very glad that you were pleased with them and with our grounds. I was disappointed to learn that you were not pleased with your room, however I am glad to note that our staff were able to assist you in resolving the issue at the time, and I do apologise again for any inconvenience.

I would like to thank you once again for your kind feedback, and I look forward to welcoming you back to Hayfield Manor again soon.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

We cannot say enough about our wonderful stay at the Hayfield Manor Hotel. From the moment we arrived the staff couldn't have been more helpful and welcoming. Check-in was a relaxed experience in the beautiful lobby area of the hotel. The furniture, antiques and fabrics are all a perfect match for the style and feel of this lovely place. Our room was just lovely and couldn't have been more comfortable - as other reviews have stated - we DID NOT want to leave! Warm, cozy, first-class and luxurious are all words that immediately come to mind. The included breakfast was delicious and had the best smoked salmon we enjoyed during our trip. Afternoon Tea was lovely and our visit overall was just superb. If we are ever in Cork again we will certainly be staying at the Hayfield Manor.

1  Thank LoveAllThingsDisney

Dear LoveAllThingsDisney,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review Hayfield Manor, and for choosing to stay with us recently.

From beginning to end it was a delight to read your review. Thank you very much indeed for your very kind praise of our hotel and our cuisine. I am especially glad to hear that you enjoyed your Afternoon Tea.

Thank you also for your kind praise of our staff. We are fortunate to have an exceptional team at Hayfield, and I will be certain to forward on your comments to them. I am sure that they will be thrilled to know that they made such a wonderful impression.

I very much hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hayfield Manor again in the near future.

Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel, which is only a 10 minute walk from the centre of Cork City is beautiful. I am always wary of 5 star hotels as sometimes you can be made feel inferior. Not the case here.... We received such a lovely warm welcome. The concierge couldn't do enough for us! Check in was a pleasant experience! We stayed in a Manor Room (one of the cheaper options, €185 per room b&b per night) and it was super. Tea and coffee making facilities and yummy shortcake biscuits.... A big flat screen and tons of dvds to 'borrow' from reception. The only let down for me was the bathroom!

Breakfast was definitely a 5 star experience! Absolutely delicious! We will definitely be back to Hayfield Manor!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tara M
Ettienne V, General Manager at Hayfield Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Dear Tara M,

I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor and indeed for choosing to stay with us at Hayfield Manor recently.

Thank you for wonderful praise of our hotel. I am delighted that you were so pleased with our welcome and with our service. I am also delighted to hear that you were enjoyed your room, although I am a little disappointed to note that you were not so pleased with the bathroom. Had we been aware of this at the time, we would have been delighted to offer you an alternative room more to your liking.

Thank you also for your very kind comments about our staff. We are fortunate to have a wonderful team at Hayfield Manor, and I am especially glad to know that they made such a great impression. I will be certain to forward your praise to them.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Hayfield Manor in the near future, hopefully for an extended stay.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

I was on a Vantage trip and we were blessed to stay here. I received a thank you note, handwritten in an envelope thanking us for allowing them to serve us and change our lightbulb!!! I have been in the travel industry for over 30 years and have never stayed in a more gracious and lovely hotel. I want to return Patricia Arthur Eurolloyd Travel

Room Tip: They are all good
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Patricia,

I would like to thank you so much for choosing to stay with us at Hayfield Manor recently, and also for taking the time to write your wonderful review of our hotel.

I am absolutely thrilled with your kind comments. Thank you very much indeed for your marvellous praise of our staff and service. It is immensely gratifying to know that exceeded your expectations.

Thank you once again for your wonderful feedback; it is very much appreciated by the entire team.

I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hayfield Manor again very soon.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

This hotel was very impressive- it appeared to be old yet it was actually built in the 90's.
Very large comfortable rooms- we had 13 people and 7 different rooms and all were very different- 2 even had pet fish( with names!) Nicely decorated and comfortable beds.
The service was amazing and very friendly- we had dinner in the casual dining room- it was very nice and again the service was great.
Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Ellepow,

I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to write your review, and for choosing to stay at Hayfield Manor recently.

It was an absolute delight to read through your review, and I am thrilled that you all enjoyed your visit so thoroughly. I am very glad to hear that you were so pleased with your rooms and the goldfish and that your bed was very comfortable. Thank you indeed for your kind comments.

Thank you also for your wonderful praise of our staff. I am immensely proud of our team, and it gives me great pleasure to know that their efforts are recognised. I will be certain to pass on your comments to them, as I am sure they will all be delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay and that they made such a wonderful impression.

I very much look forward to your return to Hayfield Manor, hopefully in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

We decided to go to Hayfield manor for our honeymoon. It's a stunning house, about a 20 minute walk away from Cork city centre. Our room, 238, was a nice large room with a big bed, beautiful view and all the little extras that you expect. Including a golf club and ball return, which was a huge highlight! However, when we returned to our room after it had been cleaned, the batteries had been, rather inexplicably, removed from the ball return. It’s a weird thing to complain about I know, but it seemed like such an odd thing to do. Room 238 also seems to be over the laundrette, and we could occasionally hear the washing machine going. The bedding is all feather duvets and pillows, unfortunately, my husband has asthma, so we called room service and they promptly changed the bedding.

The bathroom was also quite large with two sinks, but it had the most horrendous shower rail I have ever seen! It’s not even attached to the wall! One afternoon, when my husband closed the curtain, the entire rail came down and smacked him in the head. From the marks on the wall this was not the first time that this has happened! Shower with caution!!

We had breakfast there the first morning, which at €27 per person was very disappointing. There was nothing special about it that made it worth €27, and we spent the rest of the week making the short walk down to the Liberty Grill for our breakfast, which was delicious and cost less than €10 per person

The hotel has an aviary and a rabbit hutch. One day on our way back in from town, we saw a dead budgie being eaten by another budgie on the bottom of the cage. We mentioned this to the door man on our way back into the hotel and he just laughed and said ‘Don’t order the pheasant!’ A few hours later we passed by the aviary again, and the dead bird was still there! It was removed the following day, but we still felt that a hotel that prides itself on it’s appearance, would have had the dead cannibalised budgie removed immediately.

We did use the pool and steam room which were fabulous! We went down at about 11am and had the place to ourselves so that was a real treat!
We walked back to our room in our dressing gowns so they were quite wet, I left them on the floor in our room, they were removed by house keeping, but not replenished. We had to phone the front desk for new dressing gowns.

Don’t bother eating in the hotel, the food is nothing special for the money you pay. There are many outstanding places to eat in Cork, I really had some of the best food of my life there! We highly recommend The Corn Store, The Liberty Grill, The Farm Gate Café, Jacques, Les Gourmandises and Strasbourg Goose.

All in all, we had a pleasant stay, but we wouldn’t call it 5 star service. Hayfield Manor seems to be geared towards the rich American tourist, rather than us common folk who just wanted to feel special and spoilt on our honeymoon. Hayfield did nothing to make us feel special, we felt that we were looked down upon by reception staff. There were no little extras. We did mention to the receptionist that we had gotten married the previous day when we checked in, in the hopes of a complimentary drink or something, but to no avail.
We would not stay in Hayfield again.

3  Thank bbudab

Dear bbudab,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review, and for choosing to celebrate your honeymoon at Hayfield Manor recently.

Thank you also for your kind comments on our hotel. I am delighted that you were pleased with the view and the amenities in your room. I do hope that you had an enjoyable honeymoon.

I am very disappointed to hear that you had issues with noise and with the shower curtain in the bathroom. I am very sorry that we were not made aware of this during your stay, as we would have had a chance to rectify the matter there and then, however I do hope that you will accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused. I would like to assure you that since your stay, we have installed a new shower screen in the bathroom, which should prevent any recurrence.

I have checked with our Reservations department in order to understand how we were not made aware of the fact that you were celebrating your honeymoon, as it should have been noted to ensure that the occasion would have been marked appropriately. They have informed me that your reservation was made on a third party website and regrettably there were no comments or special requests listed on it to inform us, which meant that we were also unaware of your husband’s asthma in advance of your stay; otherwise we would have had the correct bedding in place prior to your arrival, and we would also have endeavoured to arrange a complimentary upgrade for you.

I am also quite surprised and disappointed to hear that you were not pleased with our breakfast, as we take great pride in the high quality of our fare and for the selection on offer; however I would like to assure you that your comments have been forwarded to our chef for review.

Thank you once again for your feedback. I do hope that you will contact me in advance when you next plan to visit Cork, as I would like to personally look after your stay.

I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate you and your husband on your recent wedding, and I wish you both the very best for your new future together.