“Somewhere Special”

Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Cork
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Somewhere Special”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

I have become a frequent guest of Hayfield Manor over the past year and not once have they let me or my children down. My children would say it is their favourite place. Whilst Bart, the Concierge is missed Frank has stepped up to the mark and this weekend was a true test as I came laden down with 5 children (one birthday boy), 2 cars, 1 boat and a rather large dog! Whilst dogs aren't normally accommodated any more the staff couldn't have made the evening more stress free and Jessy took up residence at the front door meeting and greeting the residents. A massive thank you to all the staff for looking after us all so well. To be honest there really is no better place to stay in Cork, we'll be back soon.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Ettienne V, General Manager at Hayfield Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Hammond C,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review Hayfield Manor, and for your continued support of our hotel.

I am delighted to know that we continue to exceed your expectations, and that your estimation of Hayfield Manor grows with each visit. Thank you very much indeed for your marvellous recommendation of our hotel, it is very kind of you.

Thank you also for your wonderful praise of our staff. It means a great deal to us all to know that our efforts are appreciated, and I would like to thank you very much indeed for your kind words. While Bart is indeed missed by both our guests and our team, Frank has very capably taken over the reins, and I am glad indeed to know that you and your family found him to be just as endearing and helpful as his predecessor. I will be certain to forward your kind words to him, and I am sure that he will be delighted to know that he made such a great impression on you all.

I very much look forward to welcoming you all back to Hayfield Manor yet again, hopefully very soon.

Ettienne van Vrede

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
Mallow, Cork, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

This is a lovely hotel that deserves a positive spin before I highlight the negatives. The staff and service overall (one exception below) were truly 5* quality, the building and grounds present immaculately and all in all provide the luxurious feel expected from a top hotel.

Three slight issues,

1. On arrival we were informed that breakfast was not included in our room rate. Firstly i have difficulty with this approach from hotels, you can stay in any basic B+B at a fraction of the nightly charge and breakfast is always included. Considering the rates charged at Hayfield this presents as an exercise in extracting additional revenue. Secondly my wife diligently produced our booking form which clearly indicated that breakfast was included, and most annoyingly the receptionist still did not accept, chose to consult her manager and returned to suggest we needed to upgrade our room or pay for breakfast, €100 for two mornings!!! We declined and left to go to our room, I made it clear to the receptionist that this was a very disappointing start to our stay. Only after pushing this issue (politely) did we receive a call to the room within the hour to say that the management had reconsidered and relented. Very poorly handled and reflected badly on management.

2. we stayed in room 322, and to be very honest the room was fine but the furniture was extremely disappointing. All the furniture is MDF painted white with most of the surfaces heavily chipped rendering it cheap in appearance and took from the experience. Not 5 star.

3. We booked the cycle package, which made for a fantastic day out. We picked the bikes up at the cycle shop and headed off for what was a great day out, helped greatly by the weather. I would recommend this to all intending patrons partial to what was light exercise. However, one small issue here also. Part of the "cycle package" as it was promoted was the inclusion of a packed lunch/picnic, which I can only say left us without words, and I will not in any way understate what was provided as the picnic: one sandwich wrapped in clingfilm and kitchen paper, (which got well pressed during the trip) accompanied by bottled water. I'm sorry, I really dont intend to sound petty, but as an effort at a picnic from a 5* establishment it was nothing short of failure. Put bluntly my children go to school with a more spectacular effort in their lunchbox, which is by the way provided in tupperware or similar!!

Overall our stay was a very pleasant one and we made sure the 3 issues above did not take form our stay, we decided we would return. However it must be stated that the finer detail is what gives 5* hotels the edge and more so management with an eye to detail. This is what is lacking at Hayfield. The general staff were extremely pleasan tand efficient. Management need to take this one on the chin!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank windvane
Dear windvane,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us recently and also for taking the time to review our hotel.

Firstly I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us overall and that you found our staff to be pleasant and efficient. I am delighted to know that they made such a wonderful impression. Thank you very much indeed.

I would like to apologise sincerely and unreservedly to you for the misunderstanding regarding the inclusion of breakfast in your rate. This was caused by a glitch on our website, which allowed you to reserve the cycle package without breakfast, and which should not have been allowed to occur. You are quite correct in stating that breakfast was included in the package, and I am very sorry indeed for the manner in which this issue was dealt with on check in. Although I am quite aware that it may be of little consolation to you at this point, I would like to assure you that the technical error has since been corrected, and should not occur again in the future.

I am also very sorry to hear that you were not pleased with the décor and furnishings in your room. Had we been aware of this at the time, it would have been our pleasure to offer you an alternative that was more acceptable to you. We have eighty eight rooms and suites in the hotel, and each one is individually designed and decorated; so while it can be quite difficult to anticipate in advance which style appeals to our guests, once we are aware of their personal tastes we always endeavour to offer accommodation that is in tune with their preferences. Once again, I do apologise to you for any inconvenience caused.

Please be assured that I am most grateful for your feedback, particularly regarding the picnic lunches, as it highlights where we can make improvements to ensure that we provide the same high level of service throughout for which we are renowned.

I very hope that you will accept my apologies once more for the lack of attention to detail which was evident throughout your stay, and I would be very grateful if you could contact me directly should you plan to return to Hayfield Manor in the future, as I would love to have the opportunity to personally oversee your visit and ensure that the service you receive exceeds your expectations.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

This place is fantastic. What absolutely wonderful, friendly, and attentive staff and fabulous food. By way of an example, the staff overheard my little boy loves animals and wanted to feed the birds and rabbits the hotel keeps as pets. So, the staff on duty the next day called our room to invite my son to come down and feed the animals as the local gentleman who takes care of them had stopped by. This little touch took some good handover notes amongst the staff over two days to organise and was done without any request from us. My little boy was absolutely delighted and this is just an indication of the attentive personal service offered at this hotel. This is a must visit.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Julienne N
Dear Julienne N,

I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to review Hayfield Manor on Tripadvisor, and indeed for choosing to stay with us on your recent trip to Cork.

It gives me great pleasure to know that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us so thoroughly. I am delighted that you were so pleased with our cuisine. Thank you very much for your lovely comments.

I am especially delighted to know that you were so pleased with our service, and that your son enjoyed feeding the birds and rabbits. It is our pleasure to be of assistance in any way possible, and I am very glad to know that our efforts are appreciated. Thank you once again.

I will be certain to forward your review to our team, as they will undoubtedly be as thrilled as I am with your wonderful praise.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you all back to Hayfield Manor again very soon.

Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

From the moment we arrived in this hotel we were made to feel at home. Nothing was a problem no matter what we wanted it was there. I was tempted to test this but looking for an elephant with a zoo not far away was too much to risk, as I was sure it would be there in my room on return. It is one of the experiences that you have to put down as a must in the return diary.

Room Tip: No matter what you want ask ... It’s that type of hotel where your comfort and happiness is their go...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Dermot H,

I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to write your wonderful review, and also for choosing to stay at Hayfield Manor recently.

I am absolutely thrilled to know that you enjoyed your stay so thoroughly and that you felt so at home with us. It is always a delight to hear such wonderful praise, thank you very much indeed.

We continually strive to provide the highest level of service to our guests, and it gives us all great pleasure to know that we managed to exceed your expectations.

I very much look forward to welcoming you back to Hayfield Manor again the future.

SCOTLAND
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel is superb in every way. Excellent attention to detail in every place in the hotel and the use of artistic taste throughout is wonderful. All staff were very helpful and charming. We have travelled and cruised the world for over 30 years and this hotel, albeit on a smaller scale compared with some, is up amongst the leading hotels in the world.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RUDHACH
Dear RUDHACH,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us recently, and also for taking the time to review Hayfield Manor on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted to learn that you were so pleased with our hotel, and that you enjoyed your stay with us so thoroughly. Thank you also for your kind praise of our décor. It is very much appreciated.

I am also very grateful for your wonderful praise of our staff. It means a great deal to us all to know that we made such a wonderful impression, and I am especially thrilled to know that you would rate Hayfield Manor as amongst the leading hotels in the world. Thank you again.

I very much hope to have the honour of welcoming you back to Hayfield Manor again very soon.

Galway, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

We stayed in Hayfield Manor last week for 2 nights as a part of our mini Irish honeymoon and we were just blown away by this amazing place. From the minute you enter the property until you check out, you feel like a super special guest in a truly luxurious place.The service we experienced from every member of staff was outstanding and I can honestly say that for me it was the best service I have ever experienced. Everyone seemed genuinely happy and just couldn't do enough for us.
Our room was beautiful and spacious, with an extremely comfortable bed and luxurious bedding. All the toiletries in the bathroom were Elemis, bathrobes and slippers are provided as well. Newspaper was delivered each morning and in the evening lovely turn down service, which I personally love.
We had dinner in Orchids restaurant on our first night and it was really delicious, paired again with great service and I thought it was very well priced.
Breakfast here is out of this world with cold buffet and hot "to order" dishes. Everything I tried was fresh and very tasty. I have enjoyed a glass of prosecco with my breakfast as well :)
In the evenings we really enjoyed few drinks in the hotel's bar, Best Bloody Mary and Mohito for us. I thought drinks were a little bit on the expensive side but soooooo worth it.
We used the swimming pool/jacuzzi every day, it was very quiet and relaxing there.
If you want to be spoiled and treated like king/queen - Hayfield Manor is the place to be.
Throughout our stay I felt like I ve been transported to Downton Abbey and it's been an amazing experience. Huge thank you to all the team for making our stay so special and we cant wait to come back!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nadiasmyth
Dear nadiasmyth,

Thank you very much for choosing celebrate your mini honeymoon with us recently and also for taking the time to write your wonderful review of our hotel.

From beginning to end it was a pleasure to read your comments. I am absolutely delighted that you and your new husband enjoyed a fantastic time at Hayfield Manor.

Thank you very much indeed for your marvellous praise of our hotel, especially our cuisine and our service. It means a great deal to us all to know that we helped to make your honeymoon so memorable.

I would like to take this opportunity to wish you both the very best for your future together, and I very much hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hayfield Manor again in very soon.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

A curiosity: a country house hotel squeezed into suburban Cork next to the university campus, hemmed in by narrow streets and houses. Our rooms had a fine view of the rundown and rather unprepossessing pebble-dashed terrace and garages across the road at the back. Not cheap but very comfortable, with charming if occasionally over-effusive staff, a high level of service and excellent breakfasts. We ate twice in the brasserie in the evenings and were well-satisfied. A touch of snobbery among some of the clientele: one man at breakfast looked comically appalled when my 87-year old father on a bright sunny day came down in his shorts. There is a pleasant garden but most of the grounds are occupied by the car park.

Stayed May 2014
2 Thank MrLear
Dear MrLear,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review Hayfield Manor, and for choosing to stay with us recently.

I am delighted to know that you and your father both enjoyed your stay with us, and I very much hope that we exceeded your expectations.

Thank you especially for your kind praise of our staff and of our cuisine. I will be certain to forward on your comments to our team, as I am certain that they will be as delighted as I am with your kind comments.

I very much hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hayfield Manor again in the near future.