Kinlay House Cork
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Average 3/5
Imperial Hotel(Cork)
Very Good 4/5
All reviewsdorm roomcommon roomfree breakfastcity centreshared bathroomstaff at receptionirelandpubs
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 July 2013 via mobile

I didn't like my experience in this hostel. There's only one member of the staff that was nice, the others simply seems to dislike their jobs. The location is not so good, the breakfast is weak, some part of the seems abandoned. It could be a nice hostel, but is not. They seem not interested.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank xlucianax
Reviewed 29 June 2013 via mobile

I've stayed in some dodgy places before and very much have the attitude that it's part of te adventure.

However this was something else.

Photos are very misleading from the website. We were down for a gig in The Marquee and spent most of the time trying to get somewhere else. Again not like me, I would've just sucked it up but this place was really bad.

No towels in the room (even though it states on the website private rooms get towels). Suffice to say no showers this morning, not what you want when you're travelling for 8hours.

When I asked the guy at reception he was ridiculously ignorant and told me no towels, but we have a sink in the bathroom so that should be enough (?!?!)

To top it off the door doesn't lock from the inside. Luckily my partner was with me but severe oversight on security.

This place tries to appeal to people of all backgrounds but unless you're a student or party person who's not actually gonna be in the hostel...it's bad.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Elkell85
Reviewed 24 June 2013

It's a nice simple hostel. We booked a double private room which is around the corner from the hostel. Basic double room with tv no wardrobe and not refursbished. But we only paied 55 euros for two people, 10min from the centre. Breakfast time finished at 9h30 which i found early for a saturday morning so we skipped it, as check out time was 10.30. Overall good location and cheap, but I wouldn't choose it again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2013

We recently stayed in Kinlay House, in Cork and we loved it. First, the hostel is really well located. It’s a quiet spot in the historic neighbourhood of Shandon, 7 minute walk to the city center. It’s close enough to everything but still, away from the noise at night.

The staff was really nice and helpful. Their knowledge of the city was really accurate and they advised us well on where to go for a good session, a creamy pint, or even just a nice local spot to hang out.

Our room was nice and clean, with a view on the street and the park. The common area upstairs was big and cosy. The kitchen was clean and equipped. The breakfast was quite small (tea and toast) but at least it was included. Plus, since it’s Ireland, you should really go for a full-Irish breakfast anyway.

The place felt very safe. Someone was at the reception all the time. It was a bit annoying to leave our key at the reception and ask for it every time we came back, but on the other hand we knew that only guests were aloud in.

We’re planning on going back to Cork soon and Kinlay House is definitely where we’ll be staying!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank GobnaithandSeamus
Reviewed 2 May 2013

The folk in Kinlay House were very helpful. They facilitated our group who were doing the "Cycle against Suicide" in April 2013. They couldn't do enough to make sure that our stay well like clockwork. I was silly enough to leave my wife's "Yoga Mat" in our of the rooms at the Hostel and they went to every effort to make sure it has been returned to me. Keep up the great welcome and thanks so much for making that extra effort to ensure that we had a great stay at your Hostel. Tom Taaffe

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends