“First hostel stay”

Ranked #14 of 20 Speciality Lodging in Cork
Niceville, Florida
“First hostel stay”
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

I've never stayed in a hostel before but thought my family of 4 (2 adults, 2 teens) would give it a try. A friend made us last minute reservations. We struggled to find the place, checked in for €18 each a night, and received a family room, ensuite, with 4 beds. The beds and pillows were ok, the shower and water temperature was fine, but I didn't like a great big window looking down into the courtyard from the toilet. I'd rather have no chance of an audience in the restroom.
Bread, coffee and tea was available in the kitchen in the morning. The staff was fine and we had no problems, except that I asked the guy at the desk if he cold book us in any room available for the next night (ours was booked) and he said he would, but in the morning there was no record of it. We took this as a sign to move on to another town we were considering. I just don't think the staff cares that much one way or another.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I have traveled around Ireland several times and when I am in Cork, I always stay at Kinlay House. It is only a 5 minute walk to the center of town and the best market (an English Market) in Ireland. I treat myself to good cheese, fruits, vegetables and fish and then take my groceries to Kinlay House where the kitchen and dining area is extremely spacious and well-equipped for guests who stay there. When I travel, I do not always like to eat in restaurants.

I have stayed in both the hostel and the B&B adjoining the hostel because you can choose your accommodation. The B&B is clean, simply furnished (which I like), and the staff is very friendly. They direct you to all the best sights, tours and pubs in the city.

Honestly, I would highly recommend Kinlay House. In addition to everything I've written, it has an old-world Irish charm to it since it is located in an older part of the city.

Room Tip: If you can, try and get one of the rooms at the very top at the B&B. You are right under the ro...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Mary_P_1987
Krakow, Poland
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Pros:
Cheap
A 15 minute walk from the train station or 10 from the bus terminal
Contrary to other reviews our room (302) was clean, albeit a little basic

Cons:
No bowls and insufficient cutlery and crockery. How a hostel manages to have no bowls at all is a mystery, and the lack of plates, knives and forks mean that at breakfast time you may find yourself sharing a plate with someone else and using a tea spoon to spread your jam.
Our toilet sounded like a rocket ship taking off every time it was used. You could literally here it throughout the entire room and the from hall outside
The breakfast was lacking and the staff were ridiculously strict on stopping it at 9:30 sharp
Wifi was patchy and dropped out frequently

• Stayed June 2014
Townsville, Australia
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

Where do I start... Unfriendly and unhelpful staff, dodgy wifi, dirty room, flat pillows, no hot water after 10pm. It was so unpleasant we decided to leave a night early and asked for a refund. Staff member didn't even apologise for our awful stay. In general they really didn't give a crap, and it was quite clear that no one staying there was having a good time! The tv didn't work in our room, cigarette ash in the bathroom, drinks split on the walls, no latch to keep the window open. On discovering the wifi didn't work we asked staff about it and were told - "oh I spose it needs to be reset" 4 hrs later still no wifi and my partner had to reset it himself. Truly worst atmosphere and worst hostel we've stayed in. Spare yourself the trouble and avoid!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sara P

Travellers are raving about these Cork hotels

Germany
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I booked a Singel room. There was a bunk bed with a simple matress, a sink, a wardrobe without doors, a desk and a stool. It seems all clean.

The shower and the toilet were on the other side of the corridor. Sometimes the shower was very, very hot and other times it was cold.

The breakfast with toast, butter, jam and caffee was OK all in all.
On evening the kitchen can be used for making dinner (fridge, oven, hotplate, ...)
It is possible to sit outside on a kind of terrasse.

WiFi is for free, however sometimes it was not to easy to get conection. A computer and a big TV room are upstairs.

The reception was all time very helpfull.
A way to the city center last roughly 5 Min. It is fine located in a site street.

All in all it was fine and fair.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Klaus Z
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

The worst hostel I've ever stayed at. When we arrived the staff member at the counter couldn't care less. No help at all. When we asked for a map or what to do around town he handed us the brochures and said "this is what there is to do". The rest of the staff are terrible too. Not friendly at all. They wouldn't even say hello after we said hello to them. Breakfast is a joke. Toast and coffee. 2 types of jam packets and butter. Packet milk. Not even real milk, someone should tell them milks not expensive. We stayed in a private room. Dirty walls and cigarette ash on the floor in the toilet. Flat old pillows. TV in our room didn't work. Wifi didn't work, when I told the staff he said "probably needs to be reset" but he didn't reset it. 4 hours later I found the wifi box and reset it myself. Then it worked. The people staying here looked as shocked to be here as we were. The only smiling and happy people we met were the ones leaving. We went to the mutton lane pub and had a chat with Ruth the barmaid and she was so nice and wonderful. Answered any questions we had and said "sorry your staying at Kinlay house". Trust the locals and don't stay here. Honestly the worst hostel we have stayed at.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michael H
Campbell River, Canada
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

There is carpet throughout and it is dirty. Mold around the windows. No hot or even Luke warm water in showers. Lovely reception,friendly and helpful. Breakfast was tea and toast ONLY. WI-FI in room very spotty.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo