“Why did I love it ? It just made me smile and sometimes laugh out loud” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Victoria Hotel

Victoria Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cork
Victoria Hotel
Ranked #53 of 61 Cork B&B and Inns
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Why did I love it ? It just made me smile and sometimes laugh out loud”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2010

The Victoria has seen better days. If you want a special romantic weekend or you’re in Cork for a smart event, the Victoria won’t be you’re first choice. That said I loved the Victoria. Yes the hotel is becoming shabby. It also has bags of character. That goes for the staff as much as the building and staying there was fun.
We went with four couples to mooch around Cork and the coast for a few days. The reception staff were really pleasant and we found them more than willing to help where they could. The bedding and towels were clean. We didn’t try the food because we never eat hotel food. The breakfast was passable. There are no tea / coffee making facilities in the rooms and the bathrooms have soap but no shower / shampoo gels. The noise from the street can be a big problem and you may not always be able move rooms at short notice if you find the one you have is noisy. My advice is ask for a room facing the back and well away from the kitchen. We had 325 – it was fine.
So why did I love it so much? It just made me smile and sometimes laugh out loud. The hotel is certainly understaffed but the staff that were there were really friendly - bar one (but there’s always one). Most of all the staff seemed free to express the quirkiness and humanity of the place. You just don’t get that from staff with cosmetic smiles in the corporate chains – all colour co-ordination and designer scatter cushions - but no soul.
This hotel needs some serious money spending and one day soon it will have to have it. The location is great so I guess there’s an opportunity for some faceless chain to revamp, re-badge and anonymise it. In the meantime if you’re bored with plastic smiles and corporate deference, give the Victoria a try before they swallow it. I’ll certainly be going back.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank nuages1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Boston
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2010

You can tell that this was once a grand hotel. Now it is a sad hotel. It badly needs a facelift. My first room faced a filthy alley strewn with dirty diapers and trash. It was at ground level and I felt like anyone could easily get in, despite the fact that the front desk person said it was closed off and no one could get back there. I asked to be changed to another room on a higher floor and finally got another room. It was no better than the first but at least it was higher up. The door looked like something homemade by someone who wasn't even a proper carpenter. The lock was shoddy and the door was unfinished...like something you'd see in someone's basement. The room was dingy and depressing. Note: there is no elevator from the street level so you have to drag your suitcase up a flight of stairs just to get to the reception desk! Never never again! Don't be fooled by the hotel photos. The only redeeming feature of this hotel was the very nice bartender and the wait staff in the breakfast room. They did a great job. Also, my dinner (in the bar) was quite good.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank 1bookworm

Travellers are raving about these Cork hotels

London, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2010

Four of us stayed in a family room on 20/08/10. The room was huge and split level with separate toilet and bathroom.

The hotel is extremely central which is great, right near the shops and bars although still quiet and able to get a good nights sleep.

We found the beds to be comfortable with clean sheets. There was a very good iron in the room too. The TV signal was very poor but that did not bother us. Good shower pressure although bath could have done with a bit of a clean and no toiletries. Towels were clean.

The hotel is showing its age and could do with updating but it is not overly dirty. The corridors are a maze and there are some smells, mainly greasy food smells but not overbearing. We did not smell any urine, even near the toilets.

Breakfast was good although range of food limited, Irish breakfast, cereals, coffee, tea and juice. Staff is very friendly and were able to recommend places to go out. I recommend the Soho Bar, very flash and close to the hotel.

We are coming back over in May next year and we will be staying here again. If you want a safe place to stay at a good price and central location stay here. If you want lots of luxury this may not be for you but I feel most people will be happy here.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2010

Stayed here for 1 night on Sat 14th Aug 2010. 3 adults 1 child. Upon arrival we were greeted my what I now know is the hotel manager, he was very rushed, and to the point, made us pay for the room there and then, and then gave us keys. After a long long walk through corridors, stairs, and other mucky dirty hallways, including the well placed torn and shabby sofa. Upon arriving in our room we were greeted with what can only be deceived as a hovel with 4 beds chucked in it. The curtains were hanging off the rails, carpets were filthy, one of the beds were broken, and the bathroom had 1 working light!! Not to mention the inches of dirt and grime and an overall feeling of filth. If your looking for basis accommodation and I mean basic, with a great location and some of the best service I have ever received then this is for you. I feel sorry for the staff as they really are good and helpful. We paid 135 euros for our room, and after many complaints we got a 45 euro reduction and free drinks at the bar all night. I won't be staying here again!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2010
Athens, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2010

We stayed at the Victoria for one night in July 2010 when stranded in Cork following a disastrous rental car experience with Hertz (avoid the Cork Airport Hertz like the plague, seriously!). It was a cold and rainy Sunday night, and after hours of stress with Hertz, we realized our holiday plans were changing! We were looking for a welcoming, warm and clean room for the night and that’s what we got at the Victoria. It was listed in the Lonely Planet guidebook as mid-range, which is accurate. Keeping in mind you get what you pay for, the hotel is quirky, with sloping floors, lots of corridors and steps, which reminded us of the hotel in the movie the Shining. The reception was very friendly and made helpful suggestions about getting around the city. Our room was basic, but very large with a TV. The bathroom was clean and there was soap, which other reviewers stated they did not get. We paid 70 Euros for the night, which included breakfast for two. The breakfast was good, with selection of hot and cold food and good service. Once we realized we weren’t leaving Cork (thanks to Hertz), we did upgrade and relocated to the Imperial. But if you are looking for a budget hotel in a great location (really, the location is superior) and you can tolerate some quirks and character, this is a great option.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2010

Stayed here for one night. Friends had stayed last year on a shopping trip to Cork. They said it was basic but perfect location. I usually read up on where I am going to stay, but UNFORTUNATELY I didn't on this occasion. The hotel is absolutely perfectly located on Patrick Street in the middle of the shopping area and perfect for dropping back with your bags every hour (if you booking for this reason), BUT, we wanted to stay overnight only. Receptionist very pleasant and efficient. Checked into our room, I didn't mind the labyrinth of corridors to get to the room, it is an old building after all... but the stink on the various corridors on the way to the room was desperate - cooking smells, smoke smells, grubby smells . You get the picture. The room itself was large and basic, bed appeared clean on first inspection. Bathroom basic, shower worked well, but badly broken tiles on floor and YEARS of dirt along the walls and in the corners. I feel itchy just thinking about the place. Couldn't bring myself to go down to breakfast and checked out and ate my breakfast elsewhere that was clean and inviting. I half expected when we came back to the hotel after our night out, that the bed would have been used by several people making a few bucks! (I don't think it was!!). Upside of this hotel is it is extremely central and the security at night to get back into the hotel was good. But this is all I can say. Would not stay there again, do your own research, and believe the bad reviews. They are absolutely true. !

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Bolton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2010

I had recently been told we were staying at this hotel by my friend who had booked the trip and upon reading the reviews i was horrified at what i had read and was really worried about staying here! Upon arrival we were greated by a grand staircase, so not bad to start with, we got into reception and yes it was a bit drab but no way near as bad as the reviews had made out, we were booked in by some really friendly staff and told which way to go, yes the hotel does have some narrow corridors but then again it is an old hotel upon entering our room we were met with clean beds and an amazing sized room, we didnt have enough towels and after reading a review on here that some one had to ask 3 times i was worried but we got ours ASAP! the bathroom was ok and clean and had a shower curtain, the shower didnt have much adjustment but worked! The resteraunt did smell a little greasy but the food was fine and the service was great! At the end of it all i only paid £55 for two nights and breakfast, i can see how people who have paid full rates can be annoyed but its no where near as bad as everyone makes out, i have actually stayed in worse Travelodges in the UK and paid alot more for the privalige. Dont come to this hotel expecting an amazing decorated palace, i found the corrider that one review said stank like urine but the reason it smells is because it leads off the area where the toilets are for the hotel and the bar! if you dont like the smell dont use the stairs, use the lift right next to it! it works and it doesnt smell!!! This hotel is perfect if you want a city centre location that you can put your head down for a night! Im glad i went now and would recomend it, the reviews on here can be far too harsh!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends