“Poor food up your game please” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #278 of 626 Restaurants in Cork
Price range: US$6 - US$29
Cuisines: Irish, Bar, European, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Drinks, After-hours, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Description: The Briar Rose is one of Corks most impressive bars and yet has managed to maintain a personal touch which will never fail to make an impression on each and every customer. With great food and drink and a friendly atmosphere, we are sure your time spent with us will be memorable. We look forward to seeing you soon.
Western Ireland, Ireland
“Poor food up your game please”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

We ate here recently and the food was poor.

I had the battered fish, but unfortunately the batter was overcooked hard and inedible. When I mentioned this to the waitress, she said that this was the way they serve battered fish, which seems an odd response.

We also had a portion of mashed potato, which lacked any flavour.

I ordered a cocktail, which was presented without a straw, and when I asked for one , was told that they were out of them. Why not go to the shop next door and buy some?

Disappointing ,as on my previous visit to the Briar Rose the fish & chips were superb.

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Cork, Ireland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Atrocious Service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

Went for lunch with my family members on Sunday..The service was really atrocious..45 minutes between courses...staff not up to scratch...food very average...would not go back...

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Morley_carroll
Cork
“Good food. BUT...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

Had lunch here Friday 7th march food was fantastic, had the spiced beef baguette on a bread board, nice idea, asked for my bill at 13.31pm it's now 13.44pm and my server still not back to me, and I need get back to the office. I think the male staff should smile a little more, and look interested in there jobs. And spraying a table next to us while we are still eating and the mist of the spray coming our direction, just a suggestion maybe spray your cloths in your service area, instead of bringing bottle to table, also may be good if manager assigned sections to staff they seem to be all over the place and not good when customers have to walk round looking for attention of staff.13.48pm a lovely girl came to my table and asked did I want to pay. Over all I would most definitely return, as food was faultless, but floor staff really need some basic training, and I'd be willing to offer my services to direct in the right direction.

Regards

1 Thank Innishannon
“Tasty”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

Lovely food, portion size was a little large but lovely, staff and service were on the ball except for the owner/manger embarrassed one of his staff members by speaking to him abruptly in front of customers. Demanding that he serve his friends before anyone else in the bar. A rude man, if he spoke to me that way I would have walked out! On a final note, I would come back for the beautiful food.

Cork
“Value For Money.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

I had the pleasure of having lunch at this establishment yesterday in the company of family.
I was delighted with the menu, it catered for every taste even had a section for people on a calorie controlled diet.
I orderd the Squash and CusCus Salade .........OMG!!!! It was heaven on a plate. I even asked he chef for the recipe which he obliged me with.
The waitress was so attentive even though she was the only one there.
If I were to make one complaint it would have to be......the resteraunt was FREEZING!!! We had to send out to the car for our coats.
Please turn up the heating.

Visited February 2014