“I had a great stay”
Review of Sheilas

Sheilas
Ranked #18 of 21 Speciality Lodging in Cork
Reviewed 9 April 2013

I was in Cork to meet some student friends. I did not end up having a local that could host me so I needed to check into a hostel.

The highlight for me is that the receptionist was always approachable. For instance, I could not find my key card and she just gave me another one. I found my original one when I cleared up my room on the last day.

You'll get a mix of travellers there. French, Germans, Irish, British, American and Russian whilst I was there.

Comfy beds and great price.

If you're a fat American the steep 100m walk from the main road is gonna suck though.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 11 December 2012

Spend one night in Sheila's in December 2012. The hostel is located near the railway station and the city centre, since it is a small place. There is a big sign by the road from the railway station so it's quite easy to find. The worst thing about this hotel is that it's located on top of a REALLY steep hill. It can be quite a climb after a night out, I'll testify to that.

The rooms are very basic, I chose a 6 bed dorm with ensuite toilet/shower for 17 euros or so. The hostel was half full, so there was only one other guy in the room in addition to me and my buddy. The room was quite clean, but not in mint condition otherwise. The toilet door had holes punched through it etc. The bed was quite comfortable, warm and there weren't any noises from other rooms. With the hostel key card you get a few discounts from a nearby pizza place and a pub. The city of Cork in itself is nothing especial, if you are interested in history I'd guess the old Gaol (prison) is worth seeing, tickets 8 euros (7 euros for students). I would recommend this hostel to students and other budget travelers who don't spend much time in their lodgings anyway.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 November 2012

We were road-tripping in Ireland and arrived at Sheila´s on a very short notice. They stilled hat room in 6 bed mixed room. The bunk beds were a little uncomfortable and the room lacked an actual window. The bathrooms were pretty crowded and could use some more cleaning. Nevertheless the receptionist was very friendly and gave us a lot of good tips for our trip and what to see in Cork.
Unfortunately there were no parking spaces so we had to park our car in pricey parking lot instead. If you´re looking for a cheap stay that is close to the city centre, Sheila´s is the place to go.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 November 2012

A four star hotel this is not, but if you expect that going into a hostel, you're probably in trouble. I stayed here in a private room with my wife and 3 1/2 month old son.

Great things:
- Staff is very helpful at the front desk. Maps, smiles, and suggestions of where to eat, what to see, and where to park were very forthcoming, helping us get the most of our limited time in Cork. Also great about the baby.
- Rates are very reasonable, we were on a tight budget and this helped us stay on it.
- Nice sitting room with wifi and, if you need them, computers.
- Private bedroom (a set of bunk beds) is very tight, but with a bathroom, shower, and tiny sink in room. This was just fine... I'd rather pay less for less of a room, I'm not in Cork to see the room!
- A very short walk from the bridges to the middle of the city, which made it easy to leave the car and go explore.

Issues:
- Continually pressing the shower button is a pain.
- Got very lost trying to find the place. This is not so much the hostel's fault as the street system in Cork.
- Car park in front of the hostel is NOT owned by the hostel, it's owned by the city, is pay-to-park, and has a parking time limit. We arrived late and left early, so this wasn't an issue for us. Seemed to have plenty of on-street parking for free nearby, so just something to be aware of.

Again, not fancy, not much extra, but the rates, location, and staff are all great.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 November 2012

We had a four bed room which was great as we had our own bathroom, which made a huge difference to our stay. Staff were lovely. Only thing was we were required to keep a piece of paper with our key cards to get back in to the hostel, which of course got lost.
Couches in the common room downstairs were lovely, and it was warm enough in the rooms too.
I would go back defintely. Only thing is that really steep hill up the hostel was awful but you can get over that!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 November 2012

we checked into sheila's as it was the closest hostel to the city centre and there were still spare rooms at 7pm. our 6-bed room had just a ceiling window and no curtain. apart from 3 bunk beds there was no furniture. it reminded me of a barrack. the bathrooms were okay. the common room was cosy but the internet access was pricey. i paid €16/per night, breakfast excluded. however, the staff was very nice and helpful.
so, if you are looking for a hostel close to the city centre and dont care about comfort, then sheila's is the right hostel for you.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank JulieWanderlust
Reviewed 18 October 2012

Great location. Brilliant staff. The only down side is the toliets and showers. They really need an update and more cleaning done to them. Not being able to change the shower temp was a pain. Also having to presh a button for the water to flow for 40 seconds was a pain. Thanks for a great stay though, we will be back and hope to see some updated showers next time....lol. Cheers.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple