“Good location and great value of suggestions”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Sheilas

Sheilas
Ranked #16 of 19 Speciality Lodging in Cork
Zurich, Switzerland
“Good location and great value of suggestions”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2013

Thanks to Paddy and his friend at the reception. They were very friendly and helpful at any time. Especially for suggestions concerning valuable restaurants or bookings. Room and persons were okay. This hostels delivers all together for a good price.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Czech first
Cork
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2013

To our dismay, Sheila is no longer with the organization, but all of the staff made up for her absence by being very helpful and available. Breakfast was nio included. The rooms were a little damp- the showers were SCALDING HOT!!!! We stayed in a public room with five other travelers, our stuff was safe. Let me tell you about the hill...it's not as bad as people say, but if you are faint of heart- hail a cab. From a friend to a friend- buy yourself some nice ear plugs, or you won't sleep at all.

Room Tip: Go private or go home.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Hoorn, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2013

My wife and I spent 4 nights in this beautiful located hostel near Mc Curtainstreet in Cork center. Personally I like these houses very much because the hight of the ceilings, the beautiful stairs and the wooden panels next to the windows in the Wi-Fi room and the check-inn room. It gave me a homely and warm feeling, because in Amsterdam I grew up in these kind of houses! I should try to decorate it with some features from the 19th century! But okay......unfortunately I am not the owner, of this beautiful property :-P . The bedroom was not to big but just perfect for the nights. We only missed a small table to put some things on. The beds were good for us. The bathroom is good sized but a few minor things can be done better: The finishing could be done better, because cleaning would be easier. The shower was way to hot and there was no way to regulate its water-temperature. I didn't mind the timer/button at all. That's a water saving issue. Above the small sink there should have been a plank on which you can place some toiletries.
The kitchen/diner was beautiful big with enough room to store your stuff. Enough pots and pans, plates, cups, (tea-)spoons, forks, knives, one gas-oven and several gas-burners. So I cooked several home-made meals on it. The hot-water tap.....brilliant system for getting quick boiled water. Enough sinks to clean your mess after using the kitchen-stuff!
The staff is very helpful and friendly and always willing to help and give good info.
We met a lot of people from everywhere, even with children! Love to see that this is a place for everybody to meet, greet and talk.
Sure we will come back and visit Sheilas again, if there is room!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2013

Sheilas. Love the name! Great location, very close to the main drag. Plenty of parking, staff were friendly. Paddy, the boss, is a good guy. Room was fine, a bit poky but clean. Not much to do in Cork but Sheilas is a good place to stop by anyway.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Truro, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2013

Nice and clean, good sleep. Hard to find though- had to grab a cab from downtown to find it. Adequate parking, nice breakfast. Ensuite shower was interesting to say the least- temperature was all over the place! Bathroom was clean nontheless.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank JustGoingToSouth
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2013

I was in Cork to meet some student friends. I did not end up having a local that could host me so I needed to check into a hostel.

The highlight for me is that the receptionist was always approachable. For instance, I could not find my key card and she just gave me another one. I found my original one when I cleared up my room on the last day.

You'll get a mix of travellers there. French, Germans, Irish, British, American and Russian whilst I was there.

Comfy beds and great price.

If you're a fat American the steep 100m walk from the main road is gonna suck though.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Finland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2012

Spend one night in Sheila's in December 2012. The hostel is located near the railway station and the city centre, since it is a small place. There is a big sign by the road from the railway station so it's quite easy to find. The worst thing about this hotel is that it's located on top of a REALLY steep hill. It can be quite a climb after a night out, I'll testify to that.

The rooms are very basic, I chose a 6 bed dorm with ensuite toilet/shower for 17 euros or so. The hostel was half full, so there was only one other guy in the room in addition to me and my buddy. The room was quite clean, but not in mint condition otherwise. The toilet door had holes punched through it etc. The bed was quite comfortable, warm and there weren't any noises from other rooms. With the hostel key card you get a few discounts from a nearby pizza place and a pub. The city of Cork in itself is nothing especial, if you are interested in history I'd guess the old Gaol (prison) is worth seeing, tickets 8 euros (7 euros for students). I would recommend this hostel to students and other budget travelers who don't spend much time in their lodgings anyway.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends