“Lovely theatre, superb production...”
Review of Everyman

Everyman
Ranked #26 of 151 things to do in Cork
More attraction details
Owner description: Visit the Everyman, Cork's beautiful Victorian theatre for the best in Irish and International drama, music, pantomime, opera and comedy.
Leicester, United Kingdom
228 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 375 helpful votes
“Lovely theatre, superb production...”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Staying at a hotel nearby, I took the opportunity to buy a ticket for the visiting production of Oliver Goldsmith to give me the chance to see inside this beautiful theatre which dates back to c1840 although the main styling is from the late Victorian period. What impressed me most, apart from the glorious detail of the interior decoration, was the warm welcome I received from every single person connected with the theatre from the booking office staff to the ushers, one of whom gave me an impromptu tour. That's how to make a theatre work! [Tours, incidentally, are available for €5 without seeing a production by contacting the theatre.]

As to the show, it was a scintillating production of "She Stoops to Conquer" by the impressively proficient Creative Cow company. We were treated to a brilliantly conceived production with actors, some only starting their careers, as talented as many professionals treading the boards today. It seems unfair to single out anyone in the small and cohesive ensemble but David Summer and Katherine Senior excelled as the Hardcastles with palpable stage chemistry between them. However, two younger actors, George Jennings [Marlow] and Joe Bateman [Tony Lumpkin], almost stole the show with their characterisations – George delivering his effete witty lines with razor-sharp clarity (even at speed) and Joe, whose brilliant facial expressions, allied to perfect diction, were crucial to understanding his character. Ingeniously directed by Amanda Knott, the comedy poured off the stage assisted by clever costumes and inventive set. Whilst, initially, I only went to see the interior of this historic theatre, I came away knowing I would follow the progress of this superb company in the future. A post-performance discussion with the cast only added to the enjoyment of the evening.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank EximiousTraveller

Ireland
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“A favourite place for a lovely night out.”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I love to go to shows here. The atmosphere is great. It's a lovely old building. It's is possible to get a meal nearby and tickets for a show, which can be very handy. Would recommend a night out here definitely.

Visited May 2013
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“You can feel the atmosphere”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

A beautiful Theatre in the true sense. Very good productions at very reasonable prices due to the voluntary efforts of so many good people.

Visited February 2014
Cork, Ireland
“Wedding”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I know this is a bit late as we were there for my sons wedding in 09 /09/09 but I have to say we had a day to remember for all the right reasons ,the staff and management were surpreame in all there help in what was a great day and I must say the whole event wouldn't have been the same it they had been married elsewhere, I just want to say thank you all as the mother of the groom I was delighted with the whole experience of the wedding on stage at the everyman and with the feed back form papers, tv, and radio it made it a time to remember in our lives , so thank you for all your hard work and endless input into the wedding of there lives keep up the good work as it does shine through

Visited April 2013
Dublin, Ireland
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Desolate Heaven”
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Fabulous production, not for the timid. The 2 young actresses were brilliant. Heart rendering stuff. Should have been better supported. We were there Saturday night. Plenty of empty seats. Deserved to be sold out

Visited February 2014