“A little caution”
Review of Garnish House

Garnish House
Ranked #3 of 59 Cork B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 September 2007

I have stayed in Garnish house previously and have recommended it as a good destination in Cork city.Now I would not be as quick to encourage you to book here.
I phoned to book a single room for one night and was astounded to hear that the cost was 85 euros.However I had stayed here two years ago and was impressed.Not any more.On arrival I was taken to a house not just next door but we had to cross a major road.I was expected to walk back to Garnish house for breakfast and not even an umbrella if it was raining.
The room was ok.Just what you would expect in any b and b today.There was one flaw however no bath.Very poor value for 85 euros.In addition the house is not staffed and this left me feeling very insecure.
Breakfast was indeed lovely.But I wonder at all the rave revues about the breakfast just how much can you eat at one sitting ?
I will be looking for better value when next in Cork. This is one woman who has had enough mauling at the paws of the celtic tiger.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled on business
6  Thank society
Write a ReviewReviews (1,421)

Reviewed 16 September 2007

What a terrific guest house, just a few minutes walk from the center of Cork! We were greeted upon arrival with hot tea and a big basket of scones, muffins and biscuits. Everything we wanted to see, restaurants, museums, parks, etc. were never more than 10-15 minutes away on foot. Breakfast each morning was an experience not to be missed. Definitely go for the porridge and irish whiskey or Bailey's to get things started -- Our room was great, just above the kitchen so we were greeted each mrning by the smell of fresh baked bread. Comfortable beds, nice linens, spacious bathroom, A+ staff helping make sure every detail was perfect.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CenterCityPHL
Reviewed 8 September 2007

We traveled all around Ireland for a week and found that the absolute sweetest people were definitely those at the Garnish House. They welcomed us with yummy tea and scones upon our arrival and we stayed in cozy rooms with comfortable beds. The food served in the dining room is wonderful, with the best and most courteous service. The location of the hotel is just a short walk to the hotbed of activity in the city center. We were traveling by car, so the free and easily accessible parking at the hotel was convenient. The hospitality we experienced at the Garnish House will be among our fondest memories of Ireland, and I would definitely recommend a stay there to anyone traveling to Cork.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 September 2007

When we arrived we were greeted by a Marcel. He was very charming indeed. A food spread layed on for us made us feel like royalty. We were shown to a room which had the feeling of a 5 star hotel and your own home all wrapped into one. Amazing. When we met the propritor Johanna we felt like we were greeting an old friend. We needed some help in finding stuff around Cork and surroundings and we were always more than helped by the staff. The only down side to the whole place was that there was a member of staff who seemed to be preoccupied whenever we needed assistance. He seemed to be more interested in his cellular phone than being mannerly to us. He had blondie spikey hair. Apart from this the place was real quality. Great stay.

• Stayed: May 2007
1  Thank DaveNyUsa
Reviewed 31 August 2007

I agree with the comments about warmth, hospitality, excellent breakfast, welcoming tea. But the room I drew was unspeakably small. The bathroom door hit the foot of the bed when I tried to swing it open. When my suitcase and I were inside, I could barely see any exposed flooring.

Because everyone was so nice, I'll attribute this disgraceful renovation to prior owners. But I have to deduct a couple of stars for an establishment that doesn't give an apologetic preamble to a guest before showing this room. The management seemed to think it was good enough. Not.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 August 2007

I loved this place. After a night of partying and a long day of bus travel from Galway to Cork, definitely enjoyed being greeted by the charming Marcel with a fresh basket of scones, muffins, and chocolate cake plus hot tea (and all for one person!!). I stayed in one of the adjoining buildings and loved my studio room - it was huge, clean, and complete with a kitchen facility as well. Great water pressure in the bathroom...As an fyi, the University of Cork is conveniently located across the street and is definitely worth a walk around - beautiful campus. The Garnish House is a quick walk to the center of town - 10 minutes, tops. And a convenient and cheap internet cafe is located right on the street heading into town, too.

The breakfasts were absolutely incredible. Best Irish breakfast in the world...a huge selection of choices to make in addition to an enormous spread of muffins, breads, berries, scones....wow. Very impressed. Delicious scrambled eggs, pancakes...and just when you thought you had finished, the kitchen staff pleasantly comes out to offer you a taste of more food, like yummy hot potatoes covered in cheese. I never bought more than one meal a day while staying in Cork city because I was always so full from breakfast. So amazing.

The owner, Mrs. Lucey, is such a sweetheart and she greets all of her guests in the morning, individually going around to tables at breakfasts to answer questions about day trips and make sure that everyone is enjoying their meals and rooms. She's so kind and helpful. I really, really enjoyed staying here and would definitely recommend it to anyone - families, singles, couples....just a lovely place that will long be remembered. I would love to return one day -- sooner, hopefully, rather than later. : )

• Stayed: August 2007
1  Thank Kawg411
Reviewed 21 August 2007

Had a great experience in this place last month....a hotel where food is definitely the big attraction....even before you check in, one of their unbelievably friendly staff will escort you to the lounge and present you with a platter of homemade cakes and scones with clotted cream. Breakfasts consist of the usual selection of juices and cereal, as well as a great range of yogurt, fruit and pastries.... The big draw is the homemade porridge that comes with a shot of either Baileys or whiskey, then follow that with a cooked breakfast of your choice - any type of eggs are available and The Full Irish is pretty great...complete with white and black pudding....to end proceedings expect to be presented with a plate of pancakes and syrup....perfect to kick start the day in Cork or to soak up the Stout from the night before.
The hotel is in a good location, 10 minute walk from the city centre and with good shops, restauraunts and pubs on the same street. The rooms are clean, basic, comfortable....if you're lucky you'll get a jacuzzi in your bathroom. The staff are all very accomodating. All in all, well recommended

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family