“Central location but tired hotel”

The Metropole Hotel
Ranked #16 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Perth, Australia
“Central location but tired hotel”
Reviewed 12 April 2013

Flew into cork and found hotel easy to locate. Staff very friendly. Room basic and hot water tap kept falling off. Don't expect any room service if you arrive late though staff kept putting me throught to bar but they never answered so stayed hungry. Wouldn't stay again. Gym looks nice.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Roger R, General Manager at The Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2013
Dear Ann and Alan H,
I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I would be grateful if you would contact me directly so as we may discuss this further.
roger.russell@gresham-metropolehotel.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
Mayo Ireland
Reviewed 10 April 2013

Stayed for a overnight recently. The hotel was very good. Receptionist was friendly. Nice clean room on the 3rd floor. A bit noisy but you would expect that in the middle of a city. Good nights sleep. Breakfast was just about ok. For some unknown reason, the cereals and juices were located on a table outside the dining room - no fruit or yougarts in evidence. It was only when we went up to the hot buffet that we saw the fruits etc - they were adjacent to the hot buffet!!! Strange set up. Orange juice was awful - definitely a very cheap poor brand. Sausages were poor but bacon was top quality. Would we return - yes.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Roger R, General Manager at The Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 12 April 2013
Dear Mayo55,
Thank you for your comments and we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will be sure to pass on your kind words to the whole team. I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back and please do not hestiate to contact me directly when making your booking.
Amble, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2013

having read a majority of the reviews for this hotel i can,t understand the negative views about it. iv,e been to this hotel 4 times now and love it.the staff,rooms food,drink,atmosphere are just what you would expect from a visit to this friendly hotel and city.can,t wait to come back and i,m already organizing my 60,th birthday romp for 2016!!!!here,s to you!!

Room Tip: just be friendly to the great reception staff!!!
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank David D
Roger R, General Manager at The Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 5 April 2013
Dear Damobut,
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 3 April 2013 via mobile

I just spent two nights in this Cork city centre hotel which is in a super central location The hotel is at most a ten minute walk to Saint Patrick Street. The hotel does not have its own carpark but you can get a discounted rate at a nearby multistorey.
The staff were extremely friendly and service was very attentive in the bar and breakfast room.
Our room was pretty basic, however it was nice and warm. The lobby area and bar are lovely. Breakfast is served in a very pleasant room overlooking the river Lee. Breakfast is typical irish hotel fair, nothing special. Overall a good central hotel that has plenty to recommend it and plenty of charm.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank CatEire
Dear CatEire,
Reviewed 2 April 2013

We are reg customers to the Gresham Metrople. I just love this hotel most importantly for how friendly the staff in every area. I do have my favorite rooms. Food/ Breakfast and Dinner is Excellent. But on that I do op for the package deal and the dinner can be very Basic. LIke everything in life there has been a few hicups but the staff do everything in there power to sort it. I love this hotel for it location. And leisure center is very good. sum staff very good 1 needs lesson on Friendly ness. But its still my Top hotel in cork and Iv stayed in Many. Have used the Metropole all the time now when price is good. I ment to write review sooner.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Damobut,
Dublin
Reviewed 27 March 2013

I recently travelled with a large group from Dublin to Cork. Many of our companions were elderly and I was anxious in case they were inconvenienced in any way. I need not have worried! From the moment we arrived at the Gresham Metropole, we were made to feel very welcome. A large meeting room was made available to us. The staff were always friendly and helpful. The breakfast was super. The rooms clean and comfortable. Lifts where needed. Highly recommended!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Lozzaptrip
Wexford, Ireland
Reviewed 26 March 2013

booked the gresham metropole for my sisters hen weekend!!!! Christine and the rest of the hotel team were extremely helpful and friendly from the very first day i rang to make enquiries about staying with them until the very last person in our group checked out of the hotel!! i would definately recommend this hotel to anyone not only for the excellant staff and service but also for the convenience of being so close to the city centre. We were a big group of 28 and i got no complaints from anyone in my group about the hotel. The rooms we stayed in were lovely and very good value for our 2night stay!! the hotel served breakfast until 12(im not sure if this was just because it was a weekend) but as we were a hen party there was a bit of partying done and we still all made breakfast each morning which was excellant!! i also had organised finger food for the group before we headed out on the friday night, we got excellant finger food -sausages/goujons/sandwiches/wedges(enough to feed an army )!!also there were a good few in our group that talked about revisiting the hotel with their family and friends. Thanks again to the hotel team for an excellant weekend- Louise Byrne(+ the rest of the Byrne Hen Party)

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Roger R, General Manager at The Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 27 March 2013
Dear 912LouiseB, Thank you for your comments and we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back and please do not hestiate to contact me directly when making your booking. Regards Roger Russell, General Manager