“Great base for a visit to Cork city.”

The Metropole Hotel
Ranked #16 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Monasterevin, Ireland
“Great base for a visit to Cork city.”
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Great location, just a short stroll to St. Patrick's street. Lots of character outside on Maccurtain street, with some good pubs just a few steps from the hotel,

The hotel is a little dated and a little tired, but some people would call this character, and our room was spotless. The breakfast is as good as it gets, lots of tasty food served up by friendly helpful staff. We had dinner in the hotel on one evening and it surpassed all expectations. The view from the restaurant looks out over the river, take a table by the window to make the best of it.

Overall a great place to stay, spotlessly clean, very competitive rates, and all the staff were friendly, efficient and helpful. We will return, soon hopefully.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank OwenC99
Roger R, General Manager at The Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
Dear Ross D,
Thank you for your comments and we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back and please do not hestiate to contact me directly when making your booking.
roger.russell@gresham-metropolehotel.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
Juan-les-Pins, France
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Lately, I have been in quite a few hotels where the space simply was missing.

This hotel follows the same trend: while the room was nice (a bit outdated maybe), and the staff was kind, it was simply too small to open a suitcase. You need to put it on the bed, and if outside it's raining ... you got it.

As I said, I would not put down this hotel for this, and I'm not expecting a room where I can practice golf; but I think that being able to open a suitcase is "kind-of" a minimum requirement.

As well, my room was particularly noisy: at around 3 AM some workers started to unload something from a truck, and I could hear everything. Now, while this is not a fault of the hotel per se, the isolation of the windows is obviously not state of the art ...

The breakfast is correct; maybe the room is a bit overcrowded, and a bit sparse (with the bread being outside the room, for space reasons again I assume). Bar is nice and has a nice selection of beers.

Overall, if you are planning not to pass much time in your room, just sleeping, and want a central location in Cork, this may do well for you.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dear Reviewer,
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Good size room, clean and good size bathroom. Good strong wifi, great gym!
Only negatives are having to pay for parking at a near by carpark and that the room did not have aircon and we had to sleep with the window open.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Roger R, General Manager at The Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 29 September 2013
Dear Ross D,
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Good location, across from the central bus station and shopping. Our room was very clean and tidy. Staff were very helpful to accommodate any needs. Breakfast was a little expensive for what it was but we ate there both mornings for convenience. Would recommend this hotel!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for your comments and we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We pride ourselves on our customer care and I will be sure to pass on your kind words to the team.
Nottingham, England
Reviewed 26 September 2013

I stayed for just one night. As some other have pointed out, the hotel is dated in some areas, but this can be said about a lot of places. My room was fine, but I really would have liked to have a nicer pillow. I really value service and this hotel has some extremely lovely staff - the lady at breakfast, for example, who was just wonderful, and also the lady who checked me out, but if I would not have had a meeting straight away, I would have tried to find another place on arrival. The lady was pretty curt and unhelpful. So first impressions were not great. My overall stay was fine, though.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dear Northernlassie,
Thank you for your comments and we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We pride ourselves on our customer care and I was disappointed to read that you found a member of our team to be curt. Please accept my apologies and I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Gresham Metropole Hotel in the future.
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 20 September 2013

I stayed the 29th of August. I had to be up early the next morning to go somewhere and meet someone and at around midnight I noticed that I'd left my phone in a friends car. I was a bit panicked by this as I didn't think I'd wake up early enough on my own without my phone alarm and wouldn't be able to contact my friend that I was meeting to travel somewhere else. The phone in the room wouldn't work when I was trying to ring the person with my phone so I went to reception. There I was informed cause I payed in cash and not a card I couldn't use it. I told the older man with glasses on duty that I really needed to make a phonecall and he suggested I go down the street, at past midnight, to a phone box. I'm a 22 year old girl. I really needed to get my phone for the next day so I did. The phonebox would only take 2euro coins which I didn't have so I went back to the hotel again to reception to ask could they give me change, the man said in an irritated manner that I'd have to go to the bar and then I had to go out into the street again to use the phonebox. MacCurtain street where the hotel is located has a lot of bars etc. and isn't really a place a girl would walk on her own late at night. I was quite upset at the occurence. In general I think the hotel is nice enough but in all fairness, wheres your hospitality if you send a young girl down a rough street late at night to make a phonecall. The man in question shouldn't work in the hospitality industry.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
7 Thank Klairey
Waterlooville
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Recently returned from a short break in Cork at the Gresham Metropole Hotel. Well situated for the City Centre, 10 minutes walk. Staff attentive and polite without being "pushy". The bedroom was clean and tidy if a little cramped. Double wardrobe but little draw space, though, for small items, however, our friend's room next door was much bigger and afforded more space. Both had nice size bathrooms with showers but no bath. We were both situated overlooking MacCurtain St and as a consequence noise was an issue into the early hours of the morning so if you are seeking peace and quiet and a good nights sleep I would suggest a room overlooking the river. We ate in on 2 nights and the food was like good home cooking nothing elaborate but wholesome good food. Breakfast was adequate with a choice of fried, cereal and fruit. Could not criticise the quantities, particularly the amount of meat.
Generally speaking, an ideal location for a short break reasonably priced.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the southside overlooking the river