“The Gresham Metropole Hotel, Cork, Ireland”

The Metropole Hotel
Ranked #16 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We had a lovely stay in this hotel. very convenient to walk the city. The food was very good as was the service. We thoroughly enjoy The Leisure Center. After long flights and lugging suitcases, a swim in the pool was very refreshing.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Roger R, General Manager at The Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dear Sharon H,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and tell us of your experience. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and I will be sure to pass on your kind words to the whole team. Please do not hesitate in contacting me directly when making your next booking with us and I look forward to welcoming you back to The Gresham Metropole. Kind Regards
e-mail: roger.russell@gresham-metropolehotel.com

Write a ReviewReviews (2,090)

Reviewed 4 May 2014

The hotel is in a Victorian building but is well cared for on the inside. Our room was quite sizable and had a large en-suite, unlike the new hotels I'm used to staying in which can be small. The room was clean and the beds were comfortable, and the bathroom looked newly redecorated and had an extremely powerful shower! The breakfast was lovely with plenty on offer and the room overlooked the river Lee which was a very pleasant way to start the day.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Dear BuntyPartridge,

Reviewed 3 May 2014

My wife and I stayed for 3 nights. The room was good and very clean. We had a problem with the shower and the General Manager dealt with the problem immediately. We were on a 3 day package & when we were being seated the waiter shouted 'and ye'r on the package.'
Because of his lilting Cork accent we found this amusing, and I responded 'Oh yes we are getting the tourist menu', which got a laugh from the couple next to us. Like wise the following night the waitress asked the waiter where will she put us? He responded with 'ah stick them in the corner there.' Again we found this amusing because the accent mellows the wording. We really enjoyed the food, nicely cooked and well presented. A nice bar with very pleasant bar men. Top marks to the breakfast chef because it was excellent every morning. Waitresses were very pleasant for the breakfast also.
So why is there one circle missing? The noise from outside when the window was open at night from the fans at the back meant we had to have them closed which made the room hot. This was the only serious problem we had.

1  Thank Jack R

Dear Jack R,

Reviewed 1 May 2014

We were booked in my a lovely receptionist.
She gave us all the details we needed, without having to ask anything.

Our room wasn't the best, but it did the job. Outside of our window was a wall with a gap of less than two foot. This wasn't a problem as we only stayed for one night. It made the room incredibly dark. The bed, amazing! Not even the slightest squeak from the bed or the mattress!

There was hair on my bed which was a bit disappointing.
The next morning, the house keeper entered the room immediately after knocking on our door. No time to cover up or anything - though I was sound asleep but the other half was up. This happened well before the check-out time of midday.

Room Tip: Make sure you're not in the centre of the building (facing a wall) if you're there more than...
11  Thank Peadar O

Dear P3T3RO,

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Stayed in the Gresham Metropole hotel for one night only. Had booked two nights but decided to change hotel as the room was so dated and the noise was unbearable. On arrival at the hotel, the service was efficient and the girls at reception were friendly. We booked to stay in the Junior suite, we were told to use the lift closest to reception. Every time we used this lift, we were waiting about five minutes- very annoying! The hotel in general had a stale smell. Once we went into the room, I wanted to move! I like old fashioned style but this just seemed it hadn't been updated in twenty years! It was very small for a "Junior Suite", the jacuzzi didn't work and the bed was uncomfortable. My main problem with this hotel was the noise, you can hear every conversation on the road and every car that passes.
I have to say, once we asked to change hotel, the girl at reception said it was no problem and we got a refund for our second night which I thought was very fair.
I was disappointed we wasted money at this hotel in the first place but I suppose you live and learn!

Reviewed 18 April 2014

Stopped at the Gresham a couple of weeks back on a business trip but also took the other half over. We had an "Executive" room that was OK but fairly small, no bath just a shower and looked out across the road (on second floor). It was OK for a night’s stay but the noise of the traffic early in the morning (05:00) we were both wide awake. Benefit of having a pool, steam room and sauna, breakfast good. If I stayed again I would want a room facing the river and a bath as the literature states that Executive rooms have a bath and shower.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the river otherwise the traffic noise is loud.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank daveWorcestershire

Dear daveWorcestershire,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope to welcome you back to The Gresham Metropole Hotel in the near future. Please do not hesitate in contacting me directly when making your booking.
roger.russell@gresham-metropolehotel.com

Reviewed 9 April 2014

I have wanted to stay in this hotel for many years and my opportunity came this week. It used to be the boarding and alighting point for the old Slattery's bus service to London thirty something years ago. My first impression of the reception was not awe inspiring but it still had a sense of former opulance to it. Check in was a bit slow. To my horror I was told that wifi was not available in bedrooms - only in the bar and reception area. I adjourned to the bar to do my evening e mail work but was later told by a fellow guest that some rooms have wifi and others don't. It transpired that my room did. The hotel need to sort out their offer in this respect. Parking was a bit messy too with the need to present a stamped ticket from the hotel at the kiosk in the morning (it's not the hotel's car park). It would have been fine if the kiosk was manned but 20 minutes later I was on my way when the attendant returned. The rooms are a bit small but only to be expected in a hotel as old as this. The bed was not particularly comfortable but the curtains were real blackout types with no light ingress to wake you up at too early an hour. Breakfast was on the good side of average though the cold buffet and the hot buffet were quite a long way apart. The toast maker was beside the cold buffet so OK if you wanted toast with cereal but not if you wanted it with your hot breakfast. I'm not keen on standing around in a queue to make my own toast in a hotel anyway. It's a very handy hotel for the city centre and extremely local to some very quant little Cork pubs. A short walk across the river takes you straight into the heart of the city and the jollity that lies therein. All in all it's a nice hotel and chances are I will stay again when I'm in the mood for a drift around one of Ireland's most beatiful cities.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank John M
Roger R, General Manager at The Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Dear JohnM,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and tell us of your experience. Thank you for your comments and I will be sure to pass on your kind words to the whole team. Complimentary WiFi is available throughout the Hotel in all our bedrooms, conference centre and public areas. I would like to apologise for any misunderstanding regarding the WiFi. I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Gresham Metropole in the near future. Please do not hesitate in contacting me directly when making your next booking with us.