“Okay”

The Metropole Hotel
Ranked #16 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

Lovely reception, room is standard and to me not worth £50 a night with a old small TV, and old carpet and the worst shower I have ever been in with zero hot water and drops of water.breakfast is poor and not worth price unless included. Good location but there is a lot of other hotels in centre.. Pool is nice but quite grubby tiles.. Rang down to reception to ask about hot water.. Left on the phone for about 20 mins then someone just turns up at the door.. We had no idea what was going on and no apology.. Staff are nice and friendly but it just needs done up! Probably wouldn't stay again

Stayed: July 2014
Roger R, General Manager at The Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear SarahHarvey1995,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I was sorry to read that you were not satisfied with your room. Had you brought this to our attention I can assure you that we would have made every effort to move you to another room. I would like to apologise for the issues you experienced with the water pressure during your stay with us. This fault was rectified as soon as it came to our attention. We offer breakfast at a discounted price of €10 per person if booked when making your reservation. I was sorry to see you found the breakfast poor as all our produce is sourced locally from top quality suppliers and we regularly receive compliments on the quality of our food. I would be grateful if you would contact me directly when making your next booking with us and I will ensure you are upgraded to a suite. Please accept my sincere apologies and I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Gresham Metropole Hotel in the near future.
roger.russell@gresham-metropolehotel.com

Reviewed 10 July 2014

We were fortunate to get a room facing the river. When it rained we enjoyed just sitting and watching activity from our window, the bathroom was huge, great towels. The location was wonderful. This hotel has restaurants and bars close by and is only a few blocks from the center of town. Pricing was very reasonable. If we return to this part of Ireland we would choose the Gresham as a nice break from the B&Bs which we used for most if the trip. Lots of charm in this hotel. BTW there is a pool and spa adjoining the hotel. Unfortunately we had not come with bathing suits.

Room Tip: The view from rooms facing the river are wonderful.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Roger R, General Manager at The Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear Susan R,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us so much. Our Riverview rooms have great views over the river and are ideal to watch the hustle and bustle below. Please contact me when you are making your next booking with us to avail of the best rates available and last minute deals.
My email is : roger.russell@gresham-metropolehotel.com

Reviewed 10 July 2014

My partner and I travelled to Cork for a concert, and booked a double room in this hotel for our stay, as it was close to the Ccity Centre. On arrival in reception, my first impression was that it looked lovely. It took us a good while to check in, due to large numbers checking in at the same time. We were allocated our room, on the second floor. We waited for the lift for almost ten minutes, and when it eventually arrived it was cramped and small. Only room for two people with luggage. We went up to the second floor and found our room was located at the very far end of a maze of corridors. This didn't bother us particularly but I did notice a stsrong musty smell in the area where the lift was. We got to our room, and it was TINY. Very small for a double. The room was very stuffy, even though the windows were open. There was no A/C. The room overlooked the Quays. The heat in the room was incredible, although the heat did not appear to be on, and the windows were open. We quickly changed and left for the evening. We walked back through the maze of corridors and couldn't find the stairs to get back down, so had to wait ANOTHER ten minutes for the extremely busy, tiny lift. We went out for the evening and returned later on to our boxsided room, which was even warmer, although we had left the windows open. We got into bed at 2 am and sweated our way to 5.30 am, when the buses started on the Quay outside our window. Neither of us are light sleepers, but to say the noise of buses pulling up, and traffic on the quay from 5.30 am until we finally gave up the ghost and checked out and left, tired and grumpy at 10 a.m. I couldn't stick another minute in the noisy, sweatbox of an excuse for a room any longer. I appreciate that it is a city centre hotel, but honestly, I wouldn't recommend this hotel to ANYONE!

Room Tip: Don't look for a quay side room.... far too noisy....
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mavisdavis74

Dear MavisDavis74,
Thank you for your review. The Metropole Hotel is equipped with two lifts and because we have over one hundred bedrooms it is inevitable that bedrooms will be located at the end of a corridor. However if you had requested a room close to the elevators we would have been delighted to accommodate you. We do not have air conditioning in our rooms and this is not advertised by the Hotel as a feature, however we do have fans on request. The floor plan of the hotel is C shaped and has a stair well on the end of each corridor. In all there are 5 stairs, 2 of which lead to directly to reception and are clearly marked. I can assure you that if you had brought these matters to our attention we would of course made every effort to resolve them or move you to another room.

Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

This is my second stay in this hotel. On the plus side, room was clean, bed was comfortable, and location is very convenient. Free reliable wifi also a bonus for business customers and cheap convenient parking available.

But...I didn't sleep. There was an extremely noisy group of guests on my corridor, banging on doors, shouting and singing in the corridor and eventually from their room between 1 and 2.30am. I reported it but it wasn't resolved. The noise started again at 5am and continued to 6.

I complained at the desk in the morning but was told someone was locked out of their room last night. Not a satisfactory resolution at all.

As a business customer, I need very little from a hotel. A night's sleep isn't much to ask for. I paid (in the region of) 129€ for a small single occupancy room.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Jenny D

Dear Jenny D,
Please accept my apologies for the disturbance you experienced during your stay with us. As soon as this was brought to our attention we investigated the disturbance and discovered a disoriented gentleman who had become locked out of his room. This was resolved as quickly and quietly as possible. Unfortunately we were not made aware of a second disturbance you mentioned in your review and I would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused.
Please contact me directly when you are coming to Cork next and I ensure that your reservation with us is upgraded to a suite. My email is : roger.russell@gresham-metropolehotel.com

Reviewed 9 July 2014

I stayed at The Gresham for a few days in late June 2014. The hotel on the whole was very nice and the staff could not do enough to help
I used the pool facilities on a few occasions and these were very good
The breakfast was of a very good standard with either a full English or cereals on offer, this was self service so nice to be left along to your own devices
Yes it is true the bathrooms are a little dated and could do with a few touch ups, like the bathroom panels which are wood that could be changed to marble etc. but the bedrooms themselves were light and airy and the bedding was very clean
The only major problem I found was with the TV in that some of the channels we could not increase the volume so for someone who is hard of hearing this of course was a bit of a let down
On the whole a very nice stay and would definitely stay here again

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Siobhan R,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us so much. Thank you for your comments in relation to the TV's and our maintenance department is currently reviewing this.
Please contact me when you are making your next booking with us to avail of the best rates available and last minute deals. My email is : roger.russell@gresham-metropolehotel.com

Reviewed 5 July 2014

The hotel is well situated in central Cork close to all bars and restaurants and things to see. It is an old hotel which has been modernised. There were some issues - the TV picture was awful and it was impossible to watch, the water pressure for the shower was very poor, the toiletries were cheap, and the tops of the window frames were filthy. We had a bedroom on the third floor at the front (facing on to the street) and it was very noisy. There is no air conditioning so having the windows open on a warm night was not really an option because of the noise from the street. Also, the pillows were very hard and uncomfortable; an alternative pillow in the wardrobe was not much better. Clearly they were very cheap. The breakfast buffet was not as varied as other hotels we have used; Irish cheeses were advertised but not available. Orange juice and sausages were not of a good quality. Would not recommend.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear DavJo12,
Thank you for your review. I was sorry to read that you weren't satisfied with your bedroom. Had you informed us we would have resolved this issues for you or moved you to another room. I can assure you that the toiletries are not cheap and are used in many 4 Star hotels including The Gresham in Dublin. Although we do not have Air Conditioning in our bedrooms we do have fans available on request. I would be grateful if you would contact me in relation to the Irish cheeses as we do not advertise these on our menus and I was unable to find where you saw these listed on a menu. I was also sorry to read that our sausages were not to your satisfaction. Our Sausages are of the highest quality and sourced from a local supplier, PJ O'Connell Butchers.
Please contact me when you are returning to Cork and I will ensure that you are upgraded to one of our Suites. My email is : roger.russell@gresham-metropolehotel.com

Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

I Booked through your booking.com for the hotel on Wednesday night. I called the hotel immediately to ensure the booking went through after I received the confirmation email. I was advised by kelly I believe that it had. I then went to the hotel and was advised by an extremely rude man that no "it just didn't go through". This led to me being given another room which when I went to enter had a family inside, man woman and their children! . I went back to the reception and was sent to another room which had champagne chocolates and a rose on the bed (clearly ment for someone else) I was in a rush to a gig so left and on returning found the items had been removed from the room. In the morning going for a shower there was no hot water. I would never stay at this hotel again though it is relatively nice the staff were just so unprofessional. Having stayed in many hotels in cork i would suggest the imperial or silversprings.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Lorraine L

Dear Lorraine L,
According to our records you rang to say that you had just made a booking on Booking.com and wanted to confirm that we had received it. As you had just made the booking we explained that it would take a couple of minutes to come through and be processed. While we were checking, you informed the receptionist that you would be there soon and hung up. When you arrived shortly afterwards we explained that the booking had not yet been processed and you were checked in. I recommend that you book directly with the Hotel so you can avail of the very best rates and last minute deals available.
I would like to apologise for the error with your room, this matter has been investigated and the issue that caused this has been resolved.
You never mentioned to anyone about there being no hot water in your room. Had you reported this at the time we would have been able to resolve this matter and indeed any other issues that you may have had. However we did not receive any other complaints about hot water in that room or any other room since.
Kind regards