“Can't go wrong with this hotel”

The Metropole Hotel
Ranked #16 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Excellent hotel with very fast Wi-Fi, helpful staff and the best restaurants in Cork around the corner.

We booked a room with 2 seperate beds, but instead we got a room with 1 bed. After notifying the hotel receptionist we received an upgraded room (suite on the 2nd floor), which we were very happy with.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Roger R, General Manager at The Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Dear NielsNL-1981,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I do hope that you will come back and stay with us again soon and I always recommend contacting the Hotel directly when making your booking as you will always get the best rates and last minute deals. Please feel free to contact me directly and I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Gresham Metropole Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

We stayed at the Gresham for an overnight stay in Cork. The Hotel looked good on the Internet, but that was where it ended. Check in gave us a hint as a "stag party" were checking in! There was one lift available for us to get to our room. The room was facing the street and immediately the noise could be heard. We closed the open window, and found that the old wooden window frame did not completely seal. The in room safe did not work. The duty manager tried to fix but to no avail. He did offer to place our valuables in the office safe, which we did, but he left us mid way through showing where they would be to deal with another customer. The noise during the night was unbearable, including traffic and punters leaving the various clubs/pubs. There was no mention of proximity to nightlife in what we read on the site. Not knowing Cork, this looked like it was on the edge of the CBD, put that down to experience! On leaving in the morning we advised the receptionist who advised we should have told someone and they would have moved us to another room - I asked why would you offer these rooms if others on the other side of the hotel were available in the first place! Finally, on presenting our hotel validated car parking ticket to exit the off site car park, the boom gate would not open. Luckily, there was an attendant nearby, who could not explain why it did not work, but activated the gate for us. Overall, the worst stay during our trip

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street, be prepared for just one lift access.

Dear Mark R,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I was disappointed to read that you didn't enjoy your stay with us. We are a city centre hotel and because of this a certain amount of noise from traffic and passers-by is inevitable. However we do have rooms that face inwards which would be quieter for example than rooms overlooking MacCurtain Street. I am sure that if you had brought your dissatisfaction with your room to our attention, every effort would have been made to move you to a quieter room. We do not own or operate the car park so unfortunately I do not know why the barrier didn't open. I would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused and I hope that this would not deter you from staying with us again. Please contact me when making your booking and I will upgrade your reservation to one of our Suites.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Hi folks, was back in the Metropole at wk end 5th 8-14, people complain about silly things about this hotel from what I see. I call a spade a spade, Just love this hotel its got history and decor is welcoming and relaxing and spotless. So you have to allow some sml problems for its age, but the staff compensate for this, Its great to just relax and chill out in this Hotel. I got the room I love, and it was spotless so I was happy out. Dining room is the same very good, and its great to see Loraine long serving staff she is a Gem so nice and never forgets you and Josph, same applies to all the older staff its great the way they welcome you back its real special. Food is very good and had a great dinner Sat night. Leisure center is good sum staff friendly, but clean. The hotel is a short walk to city center shops and bars and loads of eating restaurants near hotel, but why stir when the hotel restaurant food was excellent. Car park is a 2 min walk away and is cheap with discount, and no issues.
This Hotel gets 10/10 from me. keep up the good work Metrople.

Room Tip: cant tell you as love the room I go for lol

Dear Damien B,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I will be sure to pass on your kind words to Lorraine. I always recommend contacting the Hotel directly when making your booking as you will always get the best rates and last minute deals. Please feel free to contact me directly and I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Gresham Metropole Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

We had a discounted voucher for an evening meal so while we were in the city , we made a last minute decision to call there.
As it happened it was the last evening to submit the voucher and the restaurant was busy.
Despite not having a booking - which is part of T &C s - we were accommodated by a somewhat under pressure restaurant manager.
However from then on we received the best of service .
Our waitress, - Ana-whilst busy ,was calm and efficient with a friendly demeanour.
starter of chicken fresh, just nicely cooked with a tasty sauce.
The mains of chicken and steak were also flavoursome with good sized potions. My parmesan mash was just had that little zing and the vegetables were fresh and crunchy
The atmosphere was nice and calm with low background music .
overall a lovely meal, good service, clean environment with nice atmosphere.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Catherine G

Dear Catherine G,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your meal with us in our new Brasserie. Our Head Chef, Oliver Hess, has put together a great menu with all our dishes made from freshest local produce and it has been a great success. We are currently running an Early Bird special for €12.50 including a glass of wine or a pint of beer and this is also proving to be very popular with our customers. We have a great team here with a passion for looking after our customers and great food. Thank you once again for your kind words and I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Gresham Metropole Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Lovely hotel and location perfect, room was lovely, very clean and comfortable bed, staff great especially Amanda and John C who were very helpful, friendly and welcoming. We would definately stay there again in the near future! Thanks again!

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Garryscully

Dear GarryScully,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I will be sure to pass on your kind words to John and Amanda.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

This beautiful centrally located old historic hotel is the ideal place to stay if you want to explore Cork city. Right next to City Link services and a few minutes walk from the Bus and train station.
Friendly staff and clean well equipped rooms. Be sure to use the gym and the pool and steam room a great way to end the day Close to a large number of cafes pubs and restaurants you will love it. I intend to stay there any time I go to Cork..

Room Tip: In warm weather ask for a fan and rooms at back of hotel overlooking the river are noisier when wind...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Julia G

Dear Julia G,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I always recommend contacting the Hotel directly when making your booking as you will always get the best rates and last minute deals. Please feel free to contact me directly and I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Gresham Metropole Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

Stayed at this hotel for a mid week break. Found the reception staff lovely, very quick check in , got ticket for car park etc, rooms were ready on time. Rooms maybe a little old fashioned but very clean and nicely decorated..... the one question i would ask the management is Why is the mirror in the bathroom fixed over the toilet, rather than over the wash hand basin, as when one shaves/ or apply make up.. one is diving half across the toilet......also the tiles are not even, as i am mad on attention to detail was it Irish or foreign workers who did the work.
The food was lovely.... leisure centre great.... waiting / bar/ house staff lovely .
This hotel is right in the centre is clean and beautiful shops and markets.

The one thing I would like, if this hotel could have more information on places to visit, like Blarney / and other lovely sights.... maybe the leaflets were there but I could not se them.
Will certainly stay again... many thanks.
l

Room Tip: don't stay in rooms near the fans
2  Thank monica227

Dear Monica227,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I'm sorry you missed the stand with all the information on local attractions, there is lots to see and do in Cork and we have all the information readily available for our guests. I always recommend contacting the Hotel directly when making your booking as you will always get the best rates and last minute deals. Please feel free to contact me directly and I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Gresham Metropole Hotel in the near future.