“great tour guide”

Ranked #9 of 29 Tours in Cork
Type: Bus Tours, Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Passenger Daytours from Cork City to Mizen Head, Cliffs of Moher, Ring of Kerry
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“great tour guide”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Having read about mizen head I wanted to take a day tour and found this was the only company that went there, they do alternate tours each day. I didn't book but this didn't matter as our guide Don arranged a bigger bus as a lot of people wanted to do this tour. We set off on time and soon Don was keeping us informed of the places we would visit and other bits of history and culture along the way. I would recommend this tour as the main focus, mizen head, is stunning, specially on a good day, but the other places we stopped were lovely as well.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Ann F

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
70 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Ring of Kerry Tour”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Great tour with a small tour group (8 people). The drive was welcoming and answered all of our questions. I learned a lot about Irish history and Irish culture. The views were incredible, and it was the best thing I did while in Cork!

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Robin K
NE Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The Best and informative tour we ever experienced.”
Reviewed 10 April 2014

We were in Cork to visit our daughter attending UCC this semester. Our B&B hosts recommended O'Brien Coach Tours and set my wife, daughter and I to experience the West Cork and Mizin Head tour. The tour set out at 9:00 and lasted until 5:30. It was a wonderful and tremendously informative tour. Don O'Brien, our coach tour guide/drive, is one of the most intelligent, well informed people I have ever met. A very engaging storyteller, he gave us a combined history, economics, cultural, science, religion and current events lesson all in the context of our tour. My wife remarked that he must have kissed the Blarney Stone because he had a tremendous gift of speech and eloquence. Well worth the price and a day long remembered!

Visited April 2014
1 Thank k0t0
OBrienCoachTours, Owner at O'Brien Coach Tours, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Hello kOtO,

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on your daytour with OBrien Coach Tours. I appreciate your kind comments and am delighted that you enjoyed you day.
Kindest Regards,
Don
Cork, Ireland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Very surprised”
Reviewed 31 January 2014

I am from Cork and had my American cousins visiting with us last week, was unsure what to do to entertain them and wanted to show them culture / landscape. so booked the tour on Saturday to Mizen head / West Cork. I was expecting to be bored to death but was pleasantly surprised to find that the tour we booked (O'Brien Coach Tours), had a tour guide by the name of Don that was both very friendly and very well informed. The coach tour was brilliant as we got to sit back on a comfortable coach and enjoy the ride on what was a very windy and wild day. Could not believe how much history and culture the tour guide had and how much I learned about my native County on the day. To sum up, great tour guide, friendly courteous service, spectacular views, great information - great value. And woould definitely recommend anyone local or visiting to give it a go

Visited January 2014
4 Thank Mark L
South Bend, Indiana
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“A wonderful view into Ireland”
Reviewed 24 September 2013

I arrived into Cork last Saturday eve for a 5 day trip (business), and had only Sunday free to see a bit of Ireland.

Before I detail the sites, I must say the highlight of this tour for me was the superb, informative narration by Don O'Brien, the coach driver. He is truly masterful at what he does, and I very much appreciate his eloquence and gift of speech... I imagine he has kissed that Blarney Stone many times. But seriously, he was incredibly articulate, intelligent, knowledgeable, and friendly. I've not been on too many bus tours, but they are typically just some guy rattling off that on the left you see this, on the right is that. But Don shared with us a wealth of information about Ireland's history, current economy, industry, cultural heritage, natural resources, religious history, you name it. I would not be surprised if someone told me he has a PhD but ditched his day job at the university to pursue his true passion, that of tour guide ex·tra·or·di·naire. With my limited one-day chance to see some of Ireland, I didn't expect to spend my time so wisely and so well also learning so much. Even though at the end of the season there were only 8 on board the bus, we were treated with an extremely high quality program and tour of some of Ireland's best highlights. My Irish host at UCC confirmed that this trip sounded worthwhile before I went, saying that "Your suggestion for sightseeing sounds good. One of my very favourite places is the Killarney National Park (the location of Muckross House)." I was not disappointed.

I found this 9 am-6:30 pm tour online, and luckily it runs thru the end of September. We had perfect weather, a marvelous sunny Indian Summer day. I thoroughly enjoyed the quick scenic overlook "photo op" stop and then three long stops (50-90 min each) at each of the main destinations of Tour A. They were wonderful sites. I walked around Kenmare and had a latte a quaint little bakery; absolutely loved Killarney National Park and fit in a stroll around the gardens, the arboretum AND a 50 min tour of the historic and fantastic Muckross House. Then there was enough time in Killarney to walk around and grab an exquisite Irish Smoked Salmon sandwich and salad at Quinlan's Seafood Bar, and another latte for the bus at a convenience mart. Then with a nearly 90 min stop at Blarney Castle, I got to climb to the top of the castle where the famous Blarney stone resides, take lots of photos, and even shop a little at Erin's, a small gift shop passed along the way. I must say this trip so totally exceeded my expectations, making my limited time for sightseeing feel very well spent, enough so that a couple days later I found my way here to post my favorable review. Much gratitude to O'Brien Coach Tours. You are very good at what you do -- Bravo!

Visited September 2013