“Good quick food”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I'm in Cork on business and my guesthouse told me I could get a 10% discount here so I decided to head there for dinner. I did read the reviews beforehand so was primed to speak slowly...as it turned out the waitress I had had excellent English. Not conversational but understood what I said and what everyone else in the restaurant said.

The decor is nice, very japanese I suppose. Just if you want to have a private conversation it's probably not the best place as I could hear everything said by everybody. Being by yourself means you don't have any distraction from other people's conversations!

The food was very good. I had Salmon and Avocado Uramaki (the inside out sushi roll) and then Chicken Teriyaki. The Teriyaki was good, just they should be careful not to burn the sauce at the edges with the hot plate...this was only minor.

Really enjoyed my meal and would go back...

2  Thank prettygurrly

Reviewed 21 March 2014

The food is fantastic, and the staff are so friendly and helpful (for those of us who dont know much about sushi!).
Place is really clean and it has a lovely atmosphere.
Theres a lot or variety on the menu too.
I'd recommend it to anyone.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

I like all their food; soups, salads, rice, duck, fish ..... I also like their service. All is very clean and it´s no so big. So perfect.

1  Thank lisbeth691
Reviewed 23 January 2014

I've been to Sakura at least six times now since it opened and said I'd wait to write a review until they got their act together after opening. Every restaurant needs time to get it right and this place really had its learner plates on for months.

Others here are talking about Dashi as "the" sushi place in Cork but I wouldn't rate it so was delighted when a proper Japanese restaurant opened as opposed to an overpriced take-away that closes before 6pm.

The food is good in Sakura but wouldnt be up to the standards of places like Musashi in Dublin which is probably the best in the country (and that's a Corkman giving Dublin rare credit). To be fair their lunchtime bento box is only 8.99e and is usually good. I've had Yaki Udon, sushi and other dishes and they've all been good and reasonably priced without being amazing.

Sakura is Chinese run but I don't really see that as a big deal - plenty Irish people run French and Italian restaurants etc. I don't care if it's not authentically Japanese either once it's good food (ever been to an "Irish bar" abroad?!). Indian food in restaurants is not authentically Indian either - its cooked so it suits the western palate.

The main problem with Sakura is not the food but the service. The young smiley gentle friendly waitresses are not properly trained and managed. English might be an occasional problem (one review below that says "The staff does not have a correct English" is hilarious by the way - maybe your own English is the problem!) but the real issue is that orders are not sent from floor to kitchen correctly and vice versa.It's badly managed and its very obvious to anyone who knows anything about systems in restaurants.

We regularly have to repeatedly ask for items that never arrive. Even things like getting water can be a pain to get. Just put jugs of it on the tables!

My tip is to be REALLY clear to the waitresses when you order and walk up to the counter with a smile when you want something like more water rather than fuming in your seat waiting for it.

This place could be great if they put a few basic restaurant standards in place or trained their manager properly.

2  Thank DocKat
Reviewed 18 January 2014

First if all I do have to admit the decor is quite nice, although one side of the restaurant has long tables and it does feel like you're sitting next to someone you don't know but that's a small thing if the food then is good. Then, I really have to say that having visited quite a lot of Japanese restaurant all over the world, I wouldn't call this Japanese at all but more of a pretentious Chinese take away: big main portions but the attention to detail and the flavours were totally missing: we tried Tamago Nigiri (Omelette Nigiri), vegetable tempura, seafood Ramen ( completely tasteless, the fish all frozen and of low quality and the tuna tasted like it was frozen for a very long time) and for14€ I was expecting a much nicer dish...
We didn't try any of the dessert and we had warm sake to end the dinner which was nice.
Some of the staff has a really hard time understanding English and gets the orders mixed up but they are very polite.
We won't be going back, Dashi is still the only good place to get Sushi in Cork. I would really love to see another good real Japanese restaurant opening here.

2  Thank ieily