“Central location, family friendly”

Clayton Hotel Cork City
Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed on a Thurs/Fri during Spring full term break. We booked a room with 1 Double Bed, 1 Single Bed. The room was perfect: very clean and easily fit a family of four. The location is central; almost all of Cork is within walking distance. We chose not to get the breakfast option due to price and local (and cheaper) options within minutes if the hotel.

Stayed: April 2014
Thank Thomas - Genevi... H
Clarion C, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Cork City, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2014

Dear Thomas - Genevi...

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Clarion Hotel during your recent visit to Cork and for spending time to write a review on our hotel.

I am thoroughly delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. Your compliments regarding our family room are very much appreciated, as we strive to make our guests feel comfortable. I am dismayed to hear you didn't opt for our breakfast buffet selection, we offer both a continental cold buffet and the Irish breakfast buffet for €10 per adult.

I hope to welcome you back to Clarion Hotel – perhaps on your next visit you will have the opportunity to indulge in our breakfast selection

Darragh Brady

Write a ReviewReviews (2,522)

Reviewed 12 April 2014

My wife and I stayed for two nights on a trip for her birthday. I chose this hotel because it is centrally located and had a spa for my wife's birthday treat

The location is excellent for the centre of town and proximity to the bus station.

The reception staff were very welcoming and the atrium lounge was comfortable for teas and snacks

Room was good sized and comfortable with pretty much all one would expect. We overlooked the interior courtyard which was light enough but we were disturbed before 7am by staff making noise setting up for a function which wasn't so great. Obviously a personal thing, but we both felt the pillows were terrible.

Kudos bar was excellent, with good food and fine selection of Irish whiskey, allowing me a small indulgence

Breakfast was substantial with very good cold dishes. More hot veggie options would be welcomed and porridge was poor both mornings

The gym is well equipped, and my wife enjoyed a couple of hours in the spa. The staff there, realising it was a big birthday arranged for a complimentary glass of fizz, which was a lovely a touch

Overall a good hotel, and we would happily return if visiting again

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear richard I

Thank you for taking the time and effort to write a review on our hotel, and indeed for choosing to stay with us during your recent visit to Cork City

I am thrilled to know that you found your guest bedroom comfortable and of good size. We are currently having the pillows replaced and I am very disappointed to hear your were disturbed so early in the morning, I shall be following up with my events team so this doesn't reoccur please except my apologises for both incidences.

Furthermore, I am happy that our Spa therapist treated your wife to a glass of Prosecco we all enjoy a little pampering on our birthday. We shall certainly take on board your comment regards the vegetarian options at breakfast, we are always open to constructive feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Cork in the not too distant future

Reviewed 8 April 2014

Stayed again as part of a hen party. Really quick check in, and again the room was lovely and bright and airy and spotlessly clean. Another fresh tasty breakfast and for such a good price this is just a fantastic hotel to stay in for a weekend away or a business break. I highly recommend it, and its location is perfect too.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Dawnywawny

Thank you for taking the time and effort to write a review from your recent stay with us in Cork City, its a delight to know you enjoyed your return stay with us.

I am most pleased that you and your group were checked in without delay, our front office team understand a group of ladies can have a very busy schedule. I am also thankful for your kind comments on our breakfast selection and do hope that you enjoyed both the continental buffet and hot dish selection.

We appreciate your recommendation of the hotel to others. I very much hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the not too distant future - be sure to keep a watchful eye on out website for upcoming special offers and packages.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

Very good hotel well located in the centre of the city.
Good bar and restaurants. The breakfast is obviously giant!
We appreciate the welcome from all the staff and especially the "guest relation" personne at the reception

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Christine C

Many thanks for sharing your wonderful experiences on your recent stay at the Clarion Hotel and indeed for choosing to stay with us while you were in Cork City.

It is always a pleasure to learn that our our staff made a wonderful impression on you, our Guest Relations team will be overjoyed yet again to hear such fantastic compliments. You are most kind in your compliments regarding your buffet breakfast, we certainly consider breakfast the most important meal of the day.

I very much hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the not too distant future.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 7 April 2014

I stayed at the Clarion on my last night in Cork. The location is great for exploring, shopping and the nightlife (of which there is a lot to sample). I was only really using it as a crash pad as I had a busy schedule so I did not use the pool or health facilities but I shall be back to try them. I met friends in the bar and we managed a late night bite to eat there at around 9:15 which was nice ( i wouldn't say it was fab food but it fitted the bill for what we required ahead of a night out). They had a live band performing a mixture of late 80s classics (who were very good). The atmosphere was buzzing. The staff across the board were great from reception to catering and cleaning, very professional and friendly and enhanced my short but happy stay.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank PamNiMhuiriosa

Dear PamNiMhuiriosa

Many thanks for sharing your experience on your recent stay and for choosing to stay with us while you were in Cork City

I am delighted to hear that you found our hotel ideal for 'exploring' Cork City. Thank you for your compliments on our friendly and dedicated staff, whom will be delighted to have their efforts recognised.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Clarion Hotel very soon.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 7 April 2014

You can't get much more central in Cork City than this. We arrived by train from Dublin and decided to walk to the hotel - about a kilometer and 15 minutes. You can also take the 221 bus across at the station, and it drops you at the central bus station about a block and a half from the hotel. This is a nice, modern hotel with relatively spacious rooms for Europe. Our room had a king AND a single in it with room to still walk around both. The breakfast buffet is very good, but don't pay the full 14 Euro price for it. When you check in, ask for breakfast cards that are only 10 Euros each charged to your bill. Turns out if you decide to catch breakfast somewhere else one morning, you can turn in your unused cards for a credit. Hot fried and scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes, baked beans, etc. - similar to a full "English" breakfast. Also recommend Kudos bar for good service and decent prices - great for Happy Hour after a long day touring around. The restaurant attached to Kudos is fairly decent, with an "asian" flair - but don't expect your "spicy" Szechuan beef dish to arrive with the least bit of spice in it. The Chilli Chow Mein is a better bet if you're looking for something a bit more peppery.

Renting a car is highly recommended. The hotel charges a fairly decent 10 Euros a day for a space in their garage under the hotel. Most of the things to see and do are outside the city - Blarney Woolen Mills, Blarney Castle, Rock of Cashel, Cahir Castle, Cobh on the ocean, etc. Some places you can get to by bus, but a car makes more sense. We went to the airport (a 15 minute bus ride) to pick up our car, but there are probably places in town where you can get one on the last minute that are more convenient.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Clarion C, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Cork City, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear jvtravelerParis

Thank you for taking the time to write your detailed review of the Clarion Hotel, I'm sure plenty of people will find this review helpful.

Thank you for your very kind comments on our hotel, and indeed our dining options in the hotel. We are continually striving to enhance the dining experience of our guests, and it is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed both our breakfast buffet and Kudos Bar menu.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

We had our daughter's confirmation party in the Penthouse Suite and everyone couldn't have been more friendly or helpful. Everyone came in and raved about the room and then left raving about the food. Defo best party ever......... 10 out of 10 for the room, the service, the food, everything........ I want to thank Tommy (Head Chef) and all the staff in the Clarion Hotel, keep up the good work.........

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Clarion C, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Cork City, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Dear Lynda888

I'd like to thank you very much for choosing the Clarion Hotel for you daughter's confirmation party and also for taking the time to write your review.

It was an absolute delight to read that you enjoyed every aspect of the party. The penthouse is ideal for an intimate event. Thank you for your wonderful compliments on our Penthouse food, our Executive Chef Tommy and his team will be thrilled to hear your kind words. Furthermore I am thrilled that you found our staff friendly and attentive.

I very much hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back again in the near future.

Kind Regards,