“Good business class hotel”

Clayton Hotel Cork City
Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I stayed for two nights in the Clarion with my family over the Easter bank holiday weekend. We had a triple room overloading the back of the hotel. Our overall impression of the Clarion was very positive. It is a relatively new and well-maintained establishment. The room was comfortable and clean. On the first night we ordered room service which was very good. The only downside was that there was a homeless shelter on the street outside and we were woken by loud shouting on the morning of our departure at 6 am. This problem would have been eradicated by better window insulation. However, everything else about our stay was wonderful. Breakfast was a delight each morning with a great selection of hot and cold foodstuffs. The pool and spa facilities were a real bonus. I had a massage on the afternoon of our arrival, which was excellent. The Clarion organised a children's club, which our daughter thoroughly enjoyed. It was a short walk to Patrick Street. We will return.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Clarion C, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Cork City, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear JohnL63

I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to write your review, and for choosing to stay with us recently.

It's a true delight to know that you and your family enjoyed all the facilities the hotel has on offer. We are privileged to have a city centre modern property which offers a spa, leisure facilities and various dining options. I am disappointed, however to hear that you were woken up so early, I would like to offer my sincere apologies to you all for the inconvenience caused by noise

I would like to thank you again for your feedback, I hope you will return to us again in the future for another visit - perhaps during the summer when we have the kiddies club available for the summer holiday period

Reviewed 7 May 2014

Stayed here for one night while visiting Cork. Hotel is fantastically located - short walk to train, bus, city centre and Opera house. Staff could not be more friendly and offered late checkout at no charge

Only two negatives are that the check in staff member couldn't offer a single suggestion as to what to do in Cork, and didn't point out correct locations on the city map. Other negative was that we were given a wheel chair room so no tub - would have been nice to have been told this upon check in so we could have had a chance to ask what other rooms were available

I would stay here again

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear mcfandrew

Thank you very much for taking the time to review the Clarion Hotel and for choosing to stay with us recently.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the hotel location and thank you very much indeed for your kind praise of our staff. Naturally I am disappointed to hear the service you received from our reception team. Your feedback has been taken on board, and I will be speaking with our team members to address the issues. I do apologise sincerely for any inconvenience caused.

It's a pleasure to know you would stay at the Clarion Hotel again and I hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Cork City in the near future.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

A modern hotel on the River Lee. Central to the city and within easy walking distance of the rail station. Even closer to the bus station. Very helpful and friendly staff at reception and in the restaurant. A smile and nice greeting every time. The breakfast as one expects in Ireland is generous with choices to suit all tastes. Dinner was good and priced such that I saw no need to leave the hotel. The rooms are a good size with free wi fi. Very comfortable beds and a great shower in the bathroom. I enjoyed staying in the Clarion and will do so again. One thing to note is that a lower floor room overlooking the street will have some traffic noise.

Room Tip: If sensitive to traffic noise ask for a room on a higher floor or overlooking the atrium.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Dear Patrick186494

Many thanks for the lovely review posted recently and indeed for taking the time to share your wonderful experience with us.

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it. It is truly a delight to read your review from start to finish and it shall be a privilege to inform the entire team of your kind words. I hope it is not too long before we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Cork City.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

We had an overnight stay here on Saint Patricks day. The woman in reception was very helpful and greeted us warmly.The room was very nice and really clean. We were given a voucher at reception for Kudos restaurant so we had dinner there. The meal was nice but nothing special, but we felt we got value enough for our money. We didn't have a great sleep however as the room was very warm, there was a button on the wall for adjusting the temp in the room but it didn't seem to work very well. As a result we didn't get much sleep. In the morning the reception staff were again very friendly and helpful. Overall we had a nice experience apart from the too warm room. Would stay again, maybe ask about adjusting the heat first though!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear Majji2014

Many thanks for the lovely review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and shall return to the Clarion Hotel. I'm thrilled that our reception staff impressed you. It's always nice to hear lovely comments about our team and I shall ensure that your kind words are passed on to everyone. I am dismayed to discover that your sleep was disturbed by the heat in the bedroom, at the that time of year it shouldn't be an issue however, I have asked my maintenance team to ensure the Air Conditioning system is working correctly.

On your return stay to us, I would like if you would book directly through our Guest Relations Department, so they can oversee your stay to be comfortable and to ensure you have a good night's rest. Once again, thank you for your review

Reviewed 29 April 2014

When we first decided we were going to go on holiday to Ireland we weren't sure where to start! So after looking at this hotel I decided this would be the place to go. After our stay, the 6 of us that went ( myself, my partner and his parents and friends) decided it was the best hotel to choose. The Hotel was central to everywhere we wanted to go. We never had to walk more than 10 minutes to local amenities. It sits perfectly alongside the River Lee which is so beautiful to look along.
The hotel was clean and hygienic, we commented many times on how often the bar staff were cleaning and it was really pleasant to see. The room is cleaned within seconds of you going out in the morning and I was quite surprised as we left the room in such a mess but the lovely cleaners cleaned around our stuff. On Easter Sunday, we came back to our room to find an Easter Egg with a lovely message from the hotel, which shows they really do care about their visitors.
The food in the hotel was amazing, I wish I was there longer so that I could taste every single dish, but alas our time ran out. A big favourite of mine was 'The crying tiger' in the Kudos bar. So delicious!!
We went on Good Friday, for future reference... Ireland is a dry country on this day!!!! We were shocked but the bar let us have a few drinks with our meal and then a cheeky few afterwards aswell.
The spa facilities are great, you have to wear a swimming hat though, but they do sell these at the spa reception.

We ate breakfast out a couple of times but concluded that the buffet breakfast at the hotel was by far the best value for money and it was genuinely just so delicious and varied.

Around 5 minutes walk into the town, we discovered a bar called ' OLIVER PLUNKETS' It is this bar that is making us want to revisit Cork. It has a blue exterior and is deceivingly big. In the downstairs bar there is live modern music. And we shortly discovered that in the upstairs bar there is traditional irish music playing live until the early hours of the morning. Absolutely made our trip. So if your looking for a proper Irish experience then this is the place to go.

Anyway, this hotel is value for money, with comfortable, large rooms and definitely worth a visit.

Room Tip: Within our group we had rooms on the 1st, 3rd and 4th floor and all were fab with no issues. No nois...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Jackie K

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us at the Clarion Hotel Cork and also for taking the time to review our hotel.

Thank you very much for your kind praise of our accommodation, breakfast, Kudos Bar and amenities. I am utterly delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay and that you found your room so well attended. It is always a delight to me to know that our efforts are appreciated by our guests, and I will be certain to forward your wonderful comments to the entire team.

Once again, thank you for your amazing review. It will be an honour to welcome you back to Cork City - perhaps stay on a dinner package that includes a three course meal in Kudos Bar!

General Manger

Reviewed 28 April 2014

First impressions aside we enjoyed our stay at the Clarion. When my spouse and I were checking-in the credit card transaction took a moment longer than normal to process; the reception person asked if we were sure we had enough credit! Call me prickly but I was affronted!! I did explain to her that it was uncool to insult a guest at the first point of contact. We had a room with a view of the city over water, and a balcony too, very nice indeed. The thing is, some hotels are so welcoming you never want to leave; happy to enjoy the facilities on offer, etc. The Clarion is not one of those hotels. It's a great place to stay if you've come to enjoy the city, but lolly-gagging around the hotel is not too much fun. The pool was nice and clean but nowhere to sit or hang out; just get your exercise and get out is how it feels, and don't stop for the jacuzzi or you'll be washing the chlorine off your skin and swim wear for at least 24 hours. The Kudos restaurant seemed a good place for lunch but we actually found it poor value and not very authentic, though the waitress was excellent. If you want to dine at the Oyster...well just ask Paulo Tulio, he loves it. All nationalities work at this hotel so it has quite an international feel, which is appropriate in a city like Cork.

Room Tip: Get a balcony room so you can enjoy gazing at the City over the river/canal.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Fiona W

I'd like to thank you for choosing to stay with us recently and for sharing your experiences of your visit.

It always gives me great pleasure to know that our guests enjoyed their bedroom and the great view of the River Lee and City Hall. I'd like to thank you for your thorough feedback, all of which I have taken on board and will be promptly addressing. These improvements would not be possible without the constructive feedback from our guests, so I thank you for highlighting these points. I do apologise for manner of which your pre-authorisation was taken on check in, both myself and the front office manager Suzanne are currently addressing this. In regards to a place to sit in the pool area, we do have a space for sitting between the Jacuzzi and the sauna however, it may not be so obvious. I am absolutely dismayed to hear you didn't find Kudos food authentic as our chefs are of Asian origin and I sincerely apologise for the dissatisfaction this must have caused.

Thank you for your compliments on our Kudos Bar staff and the Oysters cuisine, it will be a pleasure to pass on your kinds words

Once again, please accept my apologies for the issues you experienced. I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Clarion Hotel again and I'd ask you to contact my Guest Relations department directly when you choose to do so, as they can personally oversee your visit. guestrelations@clarionhotelcorkcity.com

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Excellent customer service from the minute I booked this hotel! Special thanks to Marjorie in reservations for sorting us with a room that was suitable for us!
Room was spacious and the bed was very comfortable! Location is excellent, very close to restaurants, shops etc.
We used the swimming pool and was very clean.
Overall, we really enjoyed our stay- thank you!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Sinead P

Thank you for taking the time and effort to write a review from your recent stay with us in Cork City, its a delight to know you enjoyed your stay with us.

I must say I am truly delighted to read your fantastic review. Thank you for your kind words about Marjorie, she is a credit to not only the reservations team but the entire hotel team it will be a delight to pass on your kinds words to her.

I am pleased to hear that you found our beds comfortable and that you really enjoyed your overall stay with us. It would be an honour to welcome you back to the Clarion Hotel in the not too distant future