“Just right for city break”

Clayton Hotel Cork City
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

W stayed here for one night recently. Very central. The package menu was limited but you could upgrade to full menu for ten euro each. The waitress was a local girl and the best we ever met. She had great ideas for keeping kids amused during dinner. Rooms were grand,.nothing overly fancy but no problems. Pool lovely. Overall a very positive experience.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Clarion C, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Cork City, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Dear thenid

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review, and for choosing to stay with us recently for your family city break.

I am truly delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and our waitress was the 'best we ever met'. We are lucky to have a very hardworking and dedicated team at the Clarion Hotel, it will be a pleasure to pass on your kind compliments

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Cork City in the near future. Perhaps next time avail of the Bed and Breakfast package with a family pass to Fota Wildlife Park

There are newer reviews for Clayton Hotel Cork City

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Stayed overnight on Saturday, the hotel was completely full. At €156 a night it isn't cheap option for an atrium facing room.

Overall, the hotel is OK and would do for an overnight for leisure or business travel. Free WiFi, discounted parking at a €10 overnight and complimentary use of the pool/gym are great - although didn't try on this visit

Check in was great, welcome is friendly and efficient. Room was a good size, spotlessly clean and the bed comfortable. Being inward facing, the room felt like it lacked fresh air, the air conditioning worked, but I just wanted to open a window.

The hotel is let down by a few small problems, but they are really important. The obligatory welcome letter in the room states that "power showers, steam free mirrors, luxury toiletries, crisp linen" are intended to create an environment to cater for your every need. True, the linen is crisp and the mirror steam free but the Shower itself doesn't resemble a power shower at all, the water pressure is relatively low, and the "luxury toiletries" are of very poor quality and quantity.

In the atrium we had coffee and a scone, would caution against it, the scone was dry/stale and butter was solid. Skip this and head into town for something of better quality.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gordon_Newman

Dear Gordon_Newman

I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to write your review, and for choosing to stay with us recently.

Your favourable comments on our 'friendly' check in, comfortable bed and free Wifi are much appreciated. I shall certainly convey your kind words on to all

We are naturally disappointed to read about the service you received in the Atrium Cafe, We generally receive very positive feedback about the cafe and the special offers, I am genuinely sorry to note your dissatisfaction. Our homemade scones are freshly baked each morning however, to ensure this does not re-occur our Head chef Tommy and his team will monitor the freshness throughout the day. We serve our scones with real Irish butter, I will personally ensure the cafe staff are storing this butter chilled rather than refrigerated before service as this would be the reason for hard butter.

In regards to the shower, we are experiencing issues with water pressure. I do hope this did not cause any discomfort during your stay with us. This is the first time in a long time, our bathroom toiletries have been highlighted and we shall take this feedback onboard. Also, we stock each bathroom with an efficient amount of toiletries depending of the number of guests staying, our reception team are available 24 hours a day to ensure items like this can be topped up at request.

I always like to hear from customers as it gives me a clearer idea of where we are and more importantly where we need to improve to get to the highest possible level.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Clarion Hotel Cork again in the near future.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

I stayed for two nights in the Clarion with my family over the Easter bank holiday weekend. We had a triple room overloading the back of the hotel. Our overall impression of the Clarion was very positive. It is a relatively new and well-maintained establishment. The room was comfortable and clean. On the first night we ordered room service which was very good. The only downside was that there was a homeless shelter on the street outside and we were woken by loud shouting on the morning of our departure at 6 am. This problem would have been eradicated by better window insulation. However, everything else about our stay was wonderful. Breakfast was a delight each morning with a great selection of hot and cold foodstuffs. The pool and spa facilities were a real bonus. I had a massage on the afternoon of our arrival, which was excellent. The Clarion organised a children's club, which our daughter thoroughly enjoyed. It was a short walk to Patrick Street. We will return.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Clarion C, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Cork City, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear JohnL63

It's a true delight to know that you and your family enjoyed all the facilities the hotel has on offer. We are privileged to have a city centre modern property which offers a spa, leisure facilities and various dining options. I am disappointed, however to hear that you were woken up so early, I would like to offer my sincere apologies to you all for the inconvenience caused by noise

I would like to thank you again for your feedback, I hope you will return to us again in the future for another visit - perhaps during the summer when we have the kiddies club available for the summer holiday period

Reviewed 7 May 2014

Stayed here for one night while visiting Cork. Hotel is fantastically located - short walk to train, bus, city centre and Opera house. Staff could not be more friendly and offered late checkout at no charge

Only two negatives are that the check in staff member couldn't offer a single suggestion as to what to do in Cork, and didn't point out correct locations on the city map. Other negative was that we were given a wheel chair room so no tub - would have been nice to have been told this upon check in so we could have had a chance to ask what other rooms were available

I would stay here again

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear mcfandrew

Thank you very much for taking the time to review the Clarion Hotel and for choosing to stay with us recently.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the hotel location and thank you very much indeed for your kind praise of our staff. Naturally I am disappointed to hear the service you received from our reception team. Your feedback has been taken on board, and I will be speaking with our team members to address the issues. I do apologise sincerely for any inconvenience caused.

It's a pleasure to know you would stay at the Clarion Hotel again and I hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Cork City in the near future.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

A modern hotel on the River Lee. Central to the city and within easy walking distance of the rail station. Even closer to the bus station. Very helpful and friendly staff at reception and in the restaurant. A smile and nice greeting every time. The breakfast as one expects in Ireland is generous with choices to suit all tastes. Dinner was good and priced such that I saw no need to leave the hotel. The rooms are a good size with free wi fi. Very comfortable beds and a great shower in the bathroom. I enjoyed staying in the Clarion and will do so again. One thing to note is that a lower floor room overlooking the street will have some traffic noise.

Room Tip: If sensitive to traffic noise ask for a room on a higher floor or overlooking the atrium.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Dear Patrick186494

Many thanks for the lovely review posted recently and indeed for taking the time to share your wonderful experience with us.

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it. It is truly a delight to read your review from start to finish and it shall be a privilege to inform the entire team of your kind words. I hope it is not too long before we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Cork City.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

We had an overnight stay here on Saint Patricks day. The woman in reception was very helpful and greeted us warmly.The room was very nice and really clean. We were given a voucher at reception for Kudos restaurant so we had dinner there. The meal was nice but nothing special, but we felt we got value enough for our money. We didn't have a great sleep however as the room was very warm, there was a button on the wall for adjusting the temp in the room but it didn't seem to work very well. As a result we didn't get much sleep. In the morning the reception staff were again very friendly and helpful. Overall we had a nice experience apart from the too warm room. Would stay again, maybe ask about adjusting the heat first though!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear Majji2014

Many thanks for the lovely review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and shall return to the Clarion Hotel. I'm thrilled that our reception staff impressed you. It's always nice to hear lovely comments about our team and I shall ensure that your kind words are passed on to everyone. I am dismayed to discover that your sleep was disturbed by the heat in the bedroom, at the that time of year it shouldn't be an issue however, I have asked my maintenance team to ensure the Air Conditioning system is working correctly.

On your return stay to us, I would like if you would book directly through our Guest Relations Department, so they can oversee your stay to be comfortable and to ensure you have a good night's rest. Once again, thank you for your review

Reviewed 29 April 2014

When we first decided we were going to go on holiday to Ireland we weren't sure where to start! So after looking at this hotel I decided this would be the place to go. After our stay, the 6 of us that went ( myself, my partner and his parents and friends) decided it was the best hotel to choose. The Hotel was central to everywhere we wanted to go. We never had to walk more than 10 minutes to local amenities. It sits perfectly alongside the River Lee which is so beautiful to look along.
The hotel was clean and hygienic, we commented many times on how often the bar staff were cleaning and it was really pleasant to see. The room is cleaned within seconds of you going out in the morning and I was quite surprised as we left the room in such a mess but the lovely cleaners cleaned around our stuff. On Easter Sunday, we came back to our room to find an Easter Egg with a lovely message from the hotel, which shows they really do care about their visitors.
The food in the hotel was amazing, I wish I was there longer so that I could taste every single dish, but alas our time ran out. A big favourite of mine was 'The crying tiger' in the Kudos bar. So delicious!!
We went on Good Friday, for future reference... Ireland is a dry country on this day!!!! We were shocked but the bar let us have a few drinks with our meal and then a cheeky few afterwards aswell.
The spa facilities are great, you have to wear a swimming hat though, but they do sell these at the spa reception.

We ate breakfast out a couple of times but concluded that the buffet breakfast at the hotel was by far the best value for money and it was genuinely just so delicious and varied.

Around 5 minutes walk into the town, we discovered a bar called ' OLIVER PLUNKETS' It is this bar that is making us want to revisit Cork. It has a blue exterior and is deceivingly big. In the downstairs bar there is live modern music. And we shortly discovered that in the upstairs bar there is traditional irish music playing live until the early hours of the morning. Absolutely made our trip. So if your looking for a proper Irish experience then this is the place to go.

Anyway, this hotel is value for money, with comfortable, large rooms and definitely worth a visit.

Room Tip: Within our group we had rooms on the 1st, 3rd and 4th floor and all were fab with no issues. No nois...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Jackie K

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us at the Clarion Hotel Cork and also for taking the time to review our hotel.

Thank you very much for your kind praise of our accommodation, breakfast, Kudos Bar and amenities. I am utterly delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay and that you found your room so well attended. It is always a delight to me to know that our efforts are appreciated by our guests, and I will be certain to forward your wonderful comments to the entire team.

Once again, thank you for your amazing review. It will be an honour to welcome you back to Cork City - perhaps stay on a dinner package that includes a three course meal in Kudos Bar!

General Manger