“Gr8 location and staff, room bit cramped”

Clayton Hotel Cork City
Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Dublin, Ireland
“Gr8 location and staff, room bit cramped”
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Used for weekend stay. One of the best hotel locations in Cork City, our room was on upper floors with great views.

Bed very comfortable but took up too much space and made our room slightly cramped.

Staff friendly and both checking in and out was fast and smooth, bar staff very friendly.

A bit on the pricey side for B&B

• Stayed May 2014
Clarion C, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Cork City, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear JerryDublin2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review, and for choosing to stay at the Clarion Hotel Cork

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us, and that you were pleased with the service in the hotel, as well as our location. We are fortunate to have a dedicated team and I will be certain to forward on your comments to the reception team. It means a great deal to have their efforts recognised.

I do apologise for the cramped feeling in the bedroom. However, I am also very glad indeed to know you found the beds comfortable and slept well.

I very much hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Clarion Hotel again, hopefully in the not too distant future.

Darragh Brady

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (439)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We stayed at the Clarion Hotel on Lapps Quay in Cork because we were attending a concert in the Marquee in Cork and the hotel seemed to be the most appropriate, it is at the top of the river Lee and the Marquee venue is a couple of miles from there in the docklands. We arrived at the hotel, (use a sat nav as the one way system in Cork is very awkward for visitors unfamiliar with it) and on checkin Alex asked if we were going to the concert. Smart thinking by the hotel, they had organised a courtesy bus to and from the event. They had organise late night snacks in the hotel bar after the event and a free beer on production of the event ticket. We were delighted as we didn't fancy walking or taking a cab to the Marquee and back. The bus dropped us to the entrance and we waiting on return, brilliant service and fair olay to the Clarion.

Staff are very friendly in this hotel. Terrific service. The room was nice and modern, big bathroom with bath and shower. Nice comfortable bed. Free wifi which is a plus. There is a lovely Atrium in the hotel for lounging around and having a coffee. Nice little coffee bar with snacks in reception area.

I would return to the hotel for its modern decor and service. It is up the top of the river Lee but you can walk to the city centre in about 10 minutes. Nice shops on Oliver Plunkett St. The hotel does not have a car park but you can park behind the hotel, and the Clarion have an arrangement with the car park for overnight stay.

Good breakfast - nice buffet with fresh fruit and juices, good selection of hot and cold food.
Hotel Recommeded.

Room Tip: 117 is a fine big room overlooking the river. Nice and quiet and near the Atrium.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank IrelandMarty
Dear IrelandMarty

Thank you for taking the time to write your kind review on Tripadvisor and indeed for choosing to stay with us recently in Cork City.

I am blown away by your review, it is fantastic to read through it. It gives us all great pleasure to know that you would rate us so highly, and that you enjoyed each and every aspect of your stay so thoroughly.I am especially grateful to you for your marvellous praise of our Live at the Marquee courtesy bus service. It gives me great pleasure to know you enjoyed the services available to all our guests.

I will be certain to forward your review to the whole team, as I am sure that they will all be as thrilled as I am to know that they made such a fantastic impression.

I very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Clarion Hotel Cork again in the near future.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

My wife and I just spent a night at The Clarion whilst in the City for a concert at The Marquee.
Well, from the moment we arrived we were treated to excellent service, form the top quality welcome at reception through to all the bar staff, both in the evening and at breakfast next day.
A lovely touch was providing a complimentary shuttle service to/from the concert venue - completely unexpected.Thoroughly recommended!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Clarion C, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Cork City, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear Paul D

Thank you for taking the time and effort to write a review from your recent stay with us in Cork City, its a delight to know you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us.

It was an absolute delight to read through your review, and I am truly delighted with your wonderful praise of our hotel from start to finish. It gives me immense pleasure to know that we made such a great impression.

Thank you also for your wonderful praise of Kudos Bar, breakfast and of course the Marquee shuttle bus. I will be certain to pass on your comments to our whole team, and I would like to thank you once again for your kind feedback.

I very much hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Clarion Hotel in the near future.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights while on a business trip to cork recently. Excellent location & excellent service. Close to all city attractions & many great restaurants & pubs within walking distance. Perfect business hotel!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Angela B
Dear Angela B

Many thanks Angela B for sharing your wonderful experience with us. I am absolutely delighted to learn that you have thoroughly enjoyed your three night stay.

I am glad to note that you were pleased with our location, and the service you received from my team. I am very proud of our dedicated team, and it is always a delight to know that their efforts are appreciated.

I very much hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future, maybe next time for a vacation.

Uk
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Good check in. Helpful staff. Good parking. Lots of amenities if you want - swim, gym etc. Great location. Lovely rooms. Good breakfast. Would stay again.

Only downside, we specified one of our couples required easy access room. They were named. They got ordinary room. We got disabled access room with wet room shower. Would not have been so bad if we had access to a squeegee to dry the floor. I will NEVER install a wet room at home like this. Water goes everywhere. Can't see it works well for disabled users. Have seen much better versions that have enclosed sides - easy access but water stays within area of shower

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Thank gill.e
Dear gill.e

Thank you for choosing to stay at Clarion Hotel during your recent visit and for spending time to write a wonderful and detailed review of our hotel.

Thank you also for your kind comments regarding our hotel. We are fortunate to have a city centre location and an outstanding team here at the Clarion Hotel Cork, and I will be certain to forward on your comments. It means a great deal to us all to know that you will return to the hotel.

I sincerely apologise for the mix up of the bedroom allocations. I understand this would have caused a inconvenience to you & your guests. However, I am delighted to read this had no effect on your stay with us.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to Cork City

Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I stay here regularly on business, I have only good things to say of the staff, the hotel itself can't and the service. Even though I do business about 10km outside the city centre with a hotel right next door to the building I work in, the Clarion is my number 1 choice when I'm in Cork.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Callum P
Dear Callum P

Thank you very much for taking the time to review the Clarion Hotel Cork

I am delighted to know that you thoroughly enjoy your stays with us, we always enjoy hearing from our returning guests. Thank you very much indeed for your wonderful praise of our hotel, I am thrilled to know that you are so pleased with our staff & service.

Once again thank you for your return custom. We look forward to welcoming you back to Cork City in the near future

Warm Regards,

Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Upon check in I must say the front desk staff were awesome, they are why I gave 3 stars & not 2. They were friendly engaging & helpful. The hotel has a modern feel however our triple room felt small & claustrophobic. Our traveling companions of 2 had a larger room than we did! Our room faced what I imagine is a halfway house as there was noise coming from there at all hours & since I had the bed closest to the window I heard it all! The breakfast buffet was ok, nothing special. The wait staff that we encountered for 2 days were not friendly nor engaging, at times it felt like they were purposely avoiding us. We had to get up to go ask for coffee. The location was walking distance to shopping and close to the river. Even with that I think I would opt for a different hotel when visiting Cork.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank azsunspot
Clarion C, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Cork City, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Dear azsunspot

Thank you for taking the time and effort to write a review from your recent stay with us in Cork City.

Firstly, its a pleasure to read that you found our reception team outstanding and helpful, our reception team take great pride in their work and truly enjoy their job.

Of course I am disappointed to read that you didn't enjoy our buffet breakfast, we receive very positive feedback on our breakfast and I would only love if you could go into more detail. Please except my sincerest apologies for the level of service you received at breakfast, our breakfast manager Naz and myself are retraining the entire breakfast team to ensure that our standard of service is met at all times.

I also wish to apologise for the noise disturbance you experienced, unfortunately having a city centre location can lead to a disturbance. However, our reception team are available 24 hours a day and if they had known of any discomfort they would have contacted the local Garda station. I shall be speaking with our nights team, as this should have been monitored during the night.

I very much hope you would reconsider staying with us on your return stay to Cork City. I would be most grateful if you could contact me or my Guest Relations Manager Sonia when you plan to return, so that we can personally oversee your entire visit.