“Hunger pangs” 3 of 5 bubbles

Clayton Hotel Cork City
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Cork
“Hunger pangs”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and daughter stayed on Saturday, 5th July. Everything was fine until they returned to the hotel after the Christy Moore concert and attempted to get a bite to eat. They are both coeliacs' and had advised the hotel of same when making the reservation. When trying to order food from the limited bar menu and room service they were told that there were no gluten free products available and that the freezer was locked where I assume the gluten free bread was kept. The staff did not offer alternatives such as salads or a fruit selection. Given that Ireland has one of the highest incidences of coeliac disease I am surprised the hotel does not appear to be catering for their needs.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank John O
Clarion C, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Cork City, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Dear John O

Thank you for taking the time to write a review from your recent stay with us in Cork City.

I am truly disappointed to read of your experience. I generally receive positive feedback that all members of staff are efficient and friendly. I hope you can understand that I am shocked to read the response you were given after the Marquee concert. Please rest assured that this have been followed up with, and will not reoccur. You had kindly notified us of your family dietary requirements and as you highlighted it is a common request, which we are used to catering for. Please except my sincerest apologies for the standard of service you and your family received.

I am glad to note that everything else was fine during your stay and I am very grateful for your feedback.

I very much hope you would reconsider returning to us in Cork City. I would be most grateful if you would contact either myself or my guest relations manager Sonia when you plan to return, so we can personally oversee your entire visit.

Kindest Regards,
Darragh Brady

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
  • Turkish first
York, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

City centre hotel but with a nice airy atrium and pleasant cafe and bar facilities. Everything was great for my stay but only after I moved rooms. I would have marked the hotel excellent for it's price but my first room faced the atrium and I thought it was a bit oppressive without natural sunlight. They also play music during the day which I personally can't stand. I was moved to a rear room facing out and it was much better. So check your room and don't be afraid to be asked to move. staff were very accommodating. had great sandwich in the cafe and good espresso. Avoided the bar, was all a bit too exciting with a dup playing..!

Room Tip: Check were you room is situated as this will affect your stay!!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Jon b

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us and also, for taking the time to write your review of the Clarion Hotel.

I was delighted to read your comments in regards our Atrium Café & of course our staff. We are truly privileged to have an outstanding and dedicated team and I am delighted they located a second room for you, which you found comfortable.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back to Cork City. Be sure to keep an eye on our hotel website for upcoming special offers

Warm Regards,

Limerick, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

We (4 females) had a great weekend in the Clarion in June. Our rooms were lovely and spacious with balconies overlooking the river. The hotel is very central which is great for shopping & sightseeing or just relaxing. The leisure centre was brilliant and the food & service in both the restaurant and bar was great. I don't think I have ever encountered better staff in any hotel I've stayed in whether on business or pleasure here or abroad. We particularly remember & compliment Sarah (manager) who was so helpful & available to guests. Valerie in Reception was great and thanks Aideen for our lovely manicures. We were not surprised that the hotel was so busy. We just had a lovely weekend!!!!!!!

2 Thank Anne460
Clarion C, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Cork City, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear Anne460

Thank you for your wonderful review of your experience at the Clarion Hotel Cork.

I was thrilled to read that you and your friends were well looked after from start to finish. The entire team will be over joyed with your comments and this will be a great motivator for the busy times ahead.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you all back to the Cork City in the near future. Thank you also for choosing the Clarion Hotel

Waterford, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

Stayed at the Clarion recently while attending a concert in the Marquee in Cork. Reception staff were friendly and welcoming. Rooms were bright and clean. Food in the bar was excellent. Complimentary bus service to the Marquee was a great bonus. Highly recommend this city centre hotel. Have already booked for our Xmas family trip to the panto.

1 Thank mrsatroy
Dear mrsatroy

On behalf of the entire management and staff team here at the Clarion Hotel, a sincere thank you for the 5* review, we truly appreciate you taking the time to write your kind review.

It was a pleasure to read your lovely comments about our bedrooms and the experience that you had during your stay. We take great pride in our staff and am delighted that you received such a warm hospitable welcome.

I very much hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Clarion Hotel again, hopefully in the not too distant future.

Cork
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for one weekend night for an occasion in cork city. The hotel itself is right in the city, airy, modern and rooms clean and pretty. The leisure centre was a huge bonus and the staff (particularly staff member Diane) were fantastic.

Parking is under the hotel and €10 a night (which I was a little surprised at for paying guests, but I suppose it is the city centre)

My room was directly over a bridge between buildings which was used as a smoking area so had to keep my window closed- I'd ask for a room away from that on my next stay.

• Stayed March 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Clarion C, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Cork City, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear Jconroy

Many thanks for sharing your experience with us and indeed for choosing to stay with us. I am absolutely delighted to learn that you have thoroughly enjoyed your stay.

I am glad to note that you were pleased with our location, and that you had the opportunity to enjoy our Sanovitea leisure centre. Thank you for the special mention of Diane who is a asset to hotel, we are very fortunate to have her as part of our team and is always a delight to know that their efforts are appreciated.

In regards to the car park, unfortunately we don't have our own car park. Lapps Quay car park is a public car park, which we have a reduced rate of €10 per night. My sincerest apologies if this caused any inconvenience to you during your stay.

I very much hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future, and perhaps next time upgrade to one of our Executive rooms overlooking the River Lee & boardwalk.

Co. Westmeath
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

We booked two nights and we're upgraded to balcony room! It was a lovely clean room with views over the river. From start to finish the Hotel was great we checked in with ease and informed if a free shuttle bus to a Gig we were going to. Food was nice though the bar had no snacks ie Chrisps etc there was a spa which we didn't avail of but a pool etc. A little shabby in the pool but otherwise Hotel fab!! Children's area (we didn't have d kids with us) with tv toys and special seating looked lovely. All d staff were very pleasant too.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank mcgivs
Dear mcgivs

Thank you for choosing to stay at Clarion Hotel during your recent visit to Cork City and for spending time to write a wonderful review of our hotel.

I am absolutely thrilled with your kind comments. Thank you very much indeed for your marvellous praise of our staff and service. It is immensely gratifying to know you enjoyed your stay from start to finish.

Your feedback is very much appreciated by the entire team. We are particularly glad you both noticed our new kiddies corner, which is available everyday for summer & weekends for watching a movie, colouring, even cut the grass!

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back to Cork City and perhaps the next time you can take advantage of our Essence Spa.

Kindest Regards,

Galway, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Just back from weekend stay at the Clarion hotel on Lapps Quay in Cork.We had a lovely room with a balcony overlooking the river which was very clean and had everything we needed for our stay.Staff were very friendly and on checkin took our names for the shuttle bus which the hotel had provided for guests attending concerts at the Marquee which was a wonderful touch.Parking was also easy for 10euro per day and there was a lift from the carpark to the hotel lobby.We had a meal in kudos which was nice except the two choices that we ordered were unavailable which was disappointing as the waitresse didn't know until after we had ordered and we had to order something else .Checking out was fast and we also recieved a complimentary bottle of water for our journey home.I would highly recommend staying here if going to cork for a concert or shopping as everything is so close and there is also a heated swimming pool .We will definitely return thank you Clarion for a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: Riverview rooms with balcony are nice but there is some street noise
2 Thank RubyRex
Dear RubyRex

Many thanks RubyRex for sharing your wonderful experience with us. I am absolutely delighted to learn that you have thoroughly enjoyed your stay for a Live at the Marquee concert.

I am glad to note that you were pleased with our location, and the service you received from my team. I am very proud of our dedicated team, and it is always a delight to know that their efforts are appreciated. Please except both mine and our Executive Chef Tommy's sincerest apologies two main courses unavailable on the night. We have already followed up on this incident.

I very much hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future, maybe next time for a spa package