“Stay for the Marquee”

Clayton Hotel Cork City
Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We arrived on Saturday 5th July at about 12 noon. The lobby was busy as there was a gig that night in the Marquee. We had come down to see Christy Moore. We asked at reception if our room was ready by any chance and as it happened it was. We were checked in in immediately and with no fuss and a great friendly attitude. We went up to our room and were delighted with it. This is our second time to stay here and I must say it is very good. We went out to meet our daughter in town and had some lunch. We went back to the hotel then about 4 in the afternoon and booked dinner for 6. I the went to the well equipped gym and my wife went for a swim. The staff there were helpful and friendly. Our daughter arrived for dinner at 6. The restaurant Kudos had specials for the word cup and the marquee and were very good value with a decent variety. We went to the gig which was by the way top class. Everyone should attend a Christy gig at one time in their life. Put it on your bucket list. Next morning we had breakfast at 9. It was busy as the Munster football final was on that Sunday. The breakfast was good but could have been warmer. That said it was very nice and again the staff were very friendly and attended to my wife's gluten free needs as requested. Afterwards we went to the gym and pool again. We checked out at 12 and were given a bottle of water each on departure. A nice touch. Parking was free for our stay so overall a very good city break hotel.

Room Tip: Less noise higher up
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Patrick R
Clarion C, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Cork City, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Dear Patrick R

Many thanks for sharing your experience with us and indeed for choosing to stay with us.

I am absolutely thrilled with your kind comments. Thank you very much indeed for your marvellous praise of our staff and service. It is immensely gratifying to know you enjoyed your stay from start to finish.

I very much hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again, perhaps for Live at the Marquee 2015.

Darragh Brady

Write a ReviewReviews (2,527)

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Stated here with 8 friends and expected the worst as a tight wad mate booked it. Au contraire. Deserves all it's stars. Good room. Helpful staff. Good bar. Great location. Even came back at 4am to find a bouncing bar for a night cap.
Will def stay again.

Stayed: July 2014
Clarion C, Front Office Manager at Clayton Hotel Cork City, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Dear GeekEcosse

Thank you for your wonderful review of your experience at the Clarion Hotel Cork.

I was thrilled to read that you and your friends were well looked after from start to finish. The entire team will be over joyed with your comments and this will be a great motivator for the busy times ahead.

Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Myself and two girl friends stayed here at the week-end. The hotel is within walking distance of all the good pubs & restaurants. The room was spotless, excellent staff, very reasonable, can't fault it! Would definitely recommend the Clarion for value! Not luxurious, but perfect as a base for our girls night on the town!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Dear clare M

Thank you for your kind review of your experience at the Clarion Hotel Cork.

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us. I was delighted to read your lovely comments about our staff and the service you received. We are privileged to have a hard working and dedicated team working here and I look forward to passing on your wonderful review to all.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you all back to the Cork City in the near future. Thank you also for choosing the Clarion Hotel.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

good food, good room, a really nice place to stay. visited my sister and found that all was at walking distance. lovely pool and spa. would definetely recommend this hotel to other travellers, with or without company

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank ireenj
Clarion C, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Cork City, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear clare M

I would like to express my thanks for choosing to stay with us at the Clarion Hotel and for taking the time to share your positive experience with us.

I am delighted to know that you and your friends thoroughly enjoyed your stay. Thank you very much indeed for your wonderful praise of our hotel, I am thrilled to know that you are so pleased with our location and the accommodation.

Thank you also for your wonderful praise of our service. I will be certain to pass on your comments to our whole team, and I am sure they will all be delighted to know that they made such a wonderful impression.

Be sure to keep an eye on our hotel website for upcoming special offers and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 10 July 2014

I stayed here on business for 1 night and was pleasantly surprised on my overall experience.

Pro:
- Excellent location - centrally located near shops and restaurants
- Walking distance to two bus depots
- Blarney Castle is about 35 to 45 minutes via bus
- Clean, chic, and accommodating staff

Cons:
- WiFi connectivity was a bit spotty and dropped off a few times
- It seemed as if the Hotel shares out the use of the Gym to non guests. Not sure of the safety of this - but did not encounter any issues either.
- Other than the University and Blarney Castle - not too sure of other landmarks to visit that would make staying here more of a destination than a best viable option in the area.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear Von A

I would like to thank you for taking the time and effort to write a review following your recent stay at the Clarion Hotel Cork.

I am thrilled to learn that we managed to surpass your expectations, and that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We had been experiencing issues with our complementary Wi-Fi, which has been rectified. Our Sanovitea Gym is available for members and hotel guest only - I am please that this didn't cause any inconvenience for you during your visit.

Cork City & County is surrounded by interesting & wonderful places to visit. For instance Cork Harbour is the second largest harbour in the world, after Sydney harbour. There is a fantastic tour available of the harbour which brings you to Cobh Village. Cobh was the final stop of the Titanic steamship back in 1912 , a wonderful memorial museum is located in Cobh and well worth a visit. A jewel of Cork City is the English Market. Recently, it was chosen by the Observer Food Magazine among the ten best food markets in Europe. Another popular visitor attraction is St. Anne's church, which is better known by locals at the Four Faced Liar due to each clock on the tower tells a different time - visitors can ring the bells and climb to the top of the spire where wonderful views of Cork can be found. Also located in the heart of Cork city, beside the Opera House is the Crawford Art Gallery which is a critical part of Ireland's cultural and tourism infrastructure, welcoming over 200,000 visitors a year. Admission to the Gallery and to exhibitions are free. Von A the list goes on, and I would have loved to have had our guest relation managers spoke with you while visiting so you could have embraced our entire city and county - perhaps an excuse to return.

Thank you again for your wonderful review and I very much hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 9 July 2014

The gentleman at the counter was very friendly and helpful. The hotel looked fresh and our room was quite modern looking. We enjoyed the access to the pool/sauna/jacuzzi. It was just a short walk to the centre of town. The breakfast was quite good though a little pricey. The beds were not very comfortable. The wifi was spotty at best.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Nicole O

Thank you for your kind review of your experience at the Clarion Hotel Cork.

In regards to our buffet breakfast, the price is €10 per person when included at the booking stage or at check in. However, if breakfast is not included then the charge increases to €13.50 on the morning. We do feel that €13.50 is a reasonable charge for the buffet breakfast we have on offer for our guests. I do apologies if you felt this wasn't sufficient.

We had been experiencing some difficulties with the complementary Wi-Fi, it has since been fixed and we hope this didn't cause any inconvenience during your stay with us.

Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback and I will certainly take your comments regards the breakfast on board. I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you all back to the Cork City in the near future. Thank you also for choosing the Clarion Hotel

Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

Just back from a stay at this hotel, we stayed for 2 nights. The hotel is fab!
The rooms were very comfortable with all the extras... robes, turn down service at night etc. We ate in the restaurant food was lovely and reasonably priced. Location is great and the staff are very friendly and helpful! I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2014
Clarion C, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Cork City, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Dear Walshj16

I was thrilled to read that you enjoyed your stay from start to finish and were looked after during your two night stay . The entire team will be over joyed with your comments and this will be a great motivator for the busy times ahead.

Thank you for your kind words on our Restaurant, it brings great joy when guests immensely enjoy their meal.