“End of a holiday” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Bury
“End of a holiday”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

Myself, my husband, daughter and son in law had just had a brilliant week in a cottage outside Dungarven and decided to finish it off with a couple of days in Cork. The Clarion was spotlessly clean. Check in easy, friendly and efficient. Standard room but very comfortable and spacious with big comfy bed.

Only disappointment was that by the time we arrived the restaurant was full so worth booking well ahead especially at weekends.

Good situation by the river and easy walk into Cork.

Modern hotel so not great on atmosphere but friendly staff made up for that.

If you get a chance visit the spa. Best manicure and massage ever!

Room Tip: There were rooms over an atrium which was noisy on Saturday night. We had a room on the outside wal...
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Clarion C, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Cork City, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear Heather S,

Thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to Cork and for taking the time to post your review.

I am thrilled you and your family enjoyed your experience in our hotel, from our very comfortable accommodation, very efficient check-in, to our friendly and welcoming staff. All this feedback is very encouraging to all our team and they were delighted to receive.

It is great to hear that you enjoyed the fantastic location of our hotel near all the shops, restaurants, bars, and great local attractions. I regret to hear that our Kudos restaurant was fully booked the night you arrived. As you mentioned we do advice our guests to book in advance to prevent disappointment, therefore I do apologise if this was not mentioned to you.

Our Spa always has fantastic monthly offers and is great to hear that you got time to visit.

I look forward to welcoming you and your family back in the near future to Cork and the Clarion.

Darragh Brady

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
  • Turkish first
Killarney, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights midweek with 2 kids. Parking located directly underneath the hotel for 10 euro per night. Hotel only a few mins walk to city centre.
Receptionist was very friendly and welcoming.The room was spacious and fully equipped .A bit noisey at night but that's to be expected in a city centre.
I think we were in a interconnecting room as there was a locked door.I wouldn't recommend staying in those if you want a quiet room as on the 2nd night we could hear everything from next door even though i had requested a quiet room.

The swimming pool was nice however the baby pool was a little cool. I thought most places would have a seperate baby pool with the temperature of the water warmer
however this was not the case here, it was all the one pool.
There is a free kids club upstairs from 6-9 pm which was great ! Lots of games, a Wii and lovely staff.There was also a kids area downstairs in the lobby with movies, toys and colouring.

Kudos restaurant downstairs does amazing Asian cuisine with a lovely outside area at the front.
The breakfast was really nice both mornings. lots of choice except for yogurt ( only natural yogurt available) . Free Wi Fi also available throughout the hotel.
It was a little pricey but i would stay here again mostly for the location and the kids activities.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
Dear AmandaD,

Thank you for taking the time for writing your review. I am thrilled to hear you and your family enjoyed your stay so much.

I was delighted your children had so much fun in our Kids Club. Our Kids section are a high focus in our hotel and I am thrilled that all the family enjoyed the benefits and the staff were so friendly.

The breakfast is indeed gorgeous, with our full hot buffet selection and continental selection with an array of cheeses, breads, meats, cereals, fruit, and much more, there is something for everyone. Thank you for your feedback on our yogurts which I have taken on board. It is feedback like this from our guests that enables us to exceed our service and fulfil every guest request.

I regret to hear that you were unhappy with your room allocation. Our front desk team always do their utmost to accommodate every guest request and this may have been a rare oversight. I have passed on your feedback to our Front Office Manager who has taken all feedback on board.
I am disappointed to hear you were unsatisfied with the temperature of the kid’s pool area. I spoke to our Leisure Centre Manager, who has informed me that the temperature of the Kids pool & main pool is checked every two hours daily. This is standard procedure and records are kept of each recording. It is normal that if a child has not been very active before they go into the pool they may find it a little cold. If you would like to discuss this further you can contact our Guest Relations team on guestrelations@clarionhotelcorkcity.com who will be more than happy to discuss further.

On a positive note, I am thrilled that you wish to return the Clarion and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Blackpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Very pleasant 3 day stay at the Clarion hotel in cork. Modern well equipt hotel right in the center of cork. Extremely professional friendly staff. Our family room was ideal with everything we needed plus some extras like complementary bottles of water. They are running a free children's club for the holidays which was great and meant that our 2 children had 45 mins of supervised play in the pool enabling my husband and I to go in the sauna and steam room. They also provide a 3 hour children's activity session in the evenings which the children loved. Thanks to Louis who looked after them and made our holiday a bit more relaxing for all of us.

Location
      Sleep Quality
Dear Judith P

Thank you for taking the time for posting such a superb 5 star review.

I am thrilled you enjoyed your overall experience and that our staff were so welcoming and friendly to you and all your family. All your kind comments have been passed onto the team, especially Louis, who was thrilled to receive them.

It is fantastic to hear that your children enjoyed every aspect of our Kids club, and especially great to hear that it gave you that extra time to really enjoy your own stay.

I look forward to welcoming you and your family back again in the near future.

carlow
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Had a great weekend at Clarion Cork. Very well located less than 10 minute walk to city centre and easy access to m8/ n25.
Very good breakfast with speedy service from efficient staff. Package dinner ok, starter and mains fine but let down by poor deserts ice cream ok but the fudge cake was a really awful sponge and the cheesecake was just sickening. We had dinner on 2 nights all decided to avoid desert on second night and felt much better for it!
Family room was very spacious and quiet at night. There are rooms which seem to have an internal window looking out on a lobby make sure to avoid these!!
The biggest let down was the car park. €10 per day is nuts, especially given the room charges. We are a family of 6 and the parking charge was not flagged to us in advance so we had allocated the much needed €10 per day on other things and ended up spending it on parking which was a downer! !
A huge positive was the kids club which had swimming in the morning and a few hours again in the night which allowed us have a peaceful dinner. The kids really got on well with the kids club staff on the Friday, Saturday and Monday. (There was someone else on Sunday who didn't show up in time for the swimming which was bad but that is presumably only a rostering issue and didn't reflect really on the hotel).
I would stay here again and would recommend the hotel. There were issues on our stay but aside from the parking they are minor things which can be tweaked.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear Mlcarlow,

Thank you for staying with us during your visit to Cork and for taking the time to write your review.

It is great to hear that your children had such a fantastic time at our Kids Club. It is enjoyed by everyone and it is also fantastic to hear that it gave you time to have an enjoyable, peaceful meal.

I am delighted you enjoyed our breakfast and our service was speedy and efficient. I am pleased you enjoyed most aspects of your stay but regret that you had a few disappointments. I will take all your comments on board and address them accordingly.

I would like to thank you for all your feedback and Iook forward to welcoming you and your family back to the Clarion Hotel in the near future.

California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

This is my third time staying at this hotel and each time I have found it a nice and relaxing place to go after a long day. The staff is friendly and do what they can to accommodate your needs. The rooms are light, modern as well as cozy.
During this visit I had the opportunity to visit the pool and I found it wonderful. The locker room and the pool room were both well kept. The hot tub was the perfect temperature and felt amazing after walking so many miles visiting touristy destinations. Again the staff was friendly and helpful.
The breakfast restaurant Oysters is quite nice. The manager who runs the restaurant is very professional and friendly. The restaurant is kept very clean, which is a great accomplishment when you see how many people visit every morning. There is a good assortment of food for various dietary needs. I would avoid the scrambled eggs, they are quite wet and taste like they are powdered. They do have lovely sunny-side up eggs and omelets to order so no worries. I really appreciate that the breakfast restaurant opens up nice and early so I can either get to the office or make an early tour bus.
The only aspect of the Clarion I was unhappy with was the other restaurant, Kudos. I had a bad meal last night for dinner. The waitress was very nice about it and offered to get me something else. I had lost my appetite, so she removed the meal from our check and also gave us a discount. My husband was fine with at least most of his meal.
All in all I would highly recommend this hotel whether you are staying for pleasure or business it is centrally located and is within walking distance to many shops, restaurants and the bus and train stations.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear Comeflywme,

Thank you for staying with us during your recent visit in Cork and for taking the time to post your review.

I was thrilled to read all our staff were so friendly, courteous, and welcoming during your stay. I have shared all feedback with the team, who were pleased you appreciated their attentive care so much, especially our breakfast manager Naz.

It is great to hear you got time to enjoy our Leisure Centre, which is complimentary to all our guests. Indeed our pool, steam room, sauna, & Jacuzzi really are very relaxing. During your next visit you may get a chance to visit our spa, where we always have great monthly special offers available.

I regret to hear that you were disappointed with your meal. After further investigation of your issue I brought it to the attention of our Executive Head Chef and the issue has already been addressed. I would like to sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused and thank you for your feedback.

Overall, I am pleased you enjoyed your experience in our hotel and that you not only wish to return but would recommend us. I look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

My wife and I are just back from a lovely two nights in the Clarion. The hotel in in an excellent location in the city. We were not surprised that it was very busy ,even two seperate hen parties .They were very well behaved though ,just lots of chatter but no problem. and no noise in the hotel as a result.
We ate in Kudos bar on the two nights and while Saturdays meal was not so good,but was dealt with by the manager with no fuss and was not a problem ,just one of thoes things. Sundays was excellent especially the attentive service by Patricia and Irena.
All the staff were very nice and very attentive.
We will return to this hotel and recommend it to others.

Room Tip: We were on the 6th floor ,601,which did have a side view of the river Lee.Lovely room though. Very...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Rooms
1 Thank joero
Dear Joero

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your wonderful review and it is fantastic to hear that you would recommend our hotel.

I am pleased you found our hotel perfectly located to explore our great selection of local shops, bars, great tourist attractions and much more. I regret that you had issues with your meal on the Saturday night. However, on a positive note I was happy to hear that our staff were able to resolve the issue quickly & efficiently. It was also pleased to hear that you both really enjoyed your meal on the Sunday night.

I was thrilled to read all our staff were so friendly and attentive, especially Patricia and Irena, the team will be delighted to hear your great comments.

It is always a great honour to hear a guest wishes to return and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

While this is a great city centre hotel in cork, I recently had a lunch here and was less than impressed. The food was poor, with a poor excuse for a club sandwich, yuk. Why not just do a traditional club sandwich? nothing fancy required so why mess it up? Kids liked their meatballs. Nice to stay here but do go else where for your lunch.

Dear 6Today

Thank you for taking the time for posting your review on Tripadvisor.

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our location which is only walking distance near all the shops, bars, and great tourist attractions.

I regret to hear that you were unhappy with your Club Sandwhich and I have taken all your feedback on board. On a positive note, I was happy to hear that your kids enjoyed their meatballs.

I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel again in the near future.