“Skip Cork, if you can.”

Oakland Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #41 of 60 Cork B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 April 2011

This B & B was a little disappointing owing the state of it's condition, the area in the Cork it was located and the fact that we had to climb three flights of stairs with luggage. The rooms are clean and tidy, but very run down and old. There is much wear and tear in the rooms and the building. The sitting room is lovely, but the area itself is far from City Center and located right on a railroad track. The proprietor is wonderful and the breakfast was hearty and good, but next time we will either skip Cork altogether or find a chain hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the street.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Oakland Bed & Breakfast

Reviewed 11 December 2010

This B&B was well located for the station and the city. My one night's stay was very good. I arrived late owing to the traffic and the proprietor drove me to my appointment. I was most impressed.
The room was basic but comfortable. Breakfast was simple but fresh and good.
I would happily recommend this B&B to anyone wanting a modst but clean and pleasant place to stay

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 November 2010

I was in Oaklands B&B in august with my friend,we are from Japan and we found a great time in there!Elen was very nice with us and the breakfast was very good and recomandet to us were to go in the city and give it all direction.The room was clean and good size.We enjoyed in there and was a surprise to hear the staff speak japonese,she was very nice as well.I will recomand all my friends this B&B.I hope we will come again.thanks

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed 2 November 2010

I went to this place and stayed here for 2 weeks. I have been here last year as well. I would recommend everyone to go here. It is very close to the station which makes going out on trips very easy. It is so easy to get to Cobh which is a great city.

Cork in general has a lot to see. It was my 2nd time in Cork and i still did not have time enough to see it all. The bus station is at a 10 minute walk they got loads of bus trips departing every day. I did the guided tours a lot which I can also recommend.

They host was very friendly and every day my room has been cleaned and i got fresh towels. People complaining about the size of the rooms are wrong. It is not huge thats correct but you come for a holiday not to spend your entire stay inside.

Great service the best i have experienced

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 October 2010

Me and my father were late at night in Cork and didnt fins a place to stay. This was the only available spot. We called in and didnt book the place as I wanted to be sure my father will have a bathtub (Hes handicapped).

When I came there, the owner was friendly, asked me where im from - and I said Im israeli, and he said he loves Israelis ect. after checking the room, it was dirty, crumpy and with no bathtub.
The worst thing was the kitchen (Where we supposed to have breakfast) - so unclean.

Anyway - i had to turn dowm, and the owner was so angry saying he kept the room. I didnt book it, but he than started to shout at me and my day, and worst of all - scream anti-semetic comments, for being Israeli and Jews, we were shocked !
Of course I sent a complaint about this - but please beware - its a very bad place to stay. spend the extra money and get a better place. Specially if ur jewish...

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank johnnie_cohen
Reviewed 12 October 2010

We book Oakland, but we were taken to the B&B on the opposite side of the road. Room was very small with tiny bathroom. But that's ok. The worst were dirty sheets with previous occupants hair everywhere and God knows what else. Breakfast very small with more toast then anything else. If you will book this B&B stick to it. Maybe Oakland is actually nice. We didn't experience it. Don't let them take you to the other one:)

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 August 2010

When we arrived at the Oakland, the lady of the house told us she had room for us "up the street" and called a young woman who walked us up two blocks to the Clon-Ross. The young woman took our voucher and told us there was a room on the third floor. We were not too impressed with the cleanliness of the place, but it was getting late in the day and we needed a place to stay for the night. So, we moved our stuff up the flights of stairs and tried to watch a little t.v. before we left for dinner, but there was no remote control in the room. However, we were not too bothered by that. When we went downstairs to depart, we told the young woman and she assured us there would be one in our room when we returned. Then she told us that our car would be clamped or towed if it was not moved off the street by 8:30 a.m. and that breakfast would not be available until 9 a.m. Although the location to the City Centre is nice, I wouldn't ever stay there again. Plus, when we returned from dinner, there was no remote control. We just called it a day and got out of there by 8 a.m. We ate breakfast in Cobh.

Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple